You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

No problem with that in theory (i said we need to improve the overall quality) where I think it falls down is not in buying the quality player but what you do with the one he replaces.

It's dependent on who that player is, the make up of the current squad and the financial implications.

It would be easier to buy a left back and carry Moreno as back up (ignoring Milner for now) than it would making Coutinho a backup at his position for example.

But that becomes a question of priorities and also perhaps seeing past the first XI being the only regulars. Once you're playing 60 games a season and in the CL (hopefully), the forward and midfielders won't play every match and every minute of every match. We could buy a left winger who's better than Coutinho (or as good, but maybe different, some pace, more goals for example) - but Coutinho (in my opinion) is also interchangeable with lallana. So the new left winger can play, Coutinho makes a game in midfield and covers the new left winger and gets the chance of a rest now and again and allowed to be sick. That's squad management. If we just buy players to cover, they'll rarely be anything other than cover.
  • Upvote 2

no, no, no. it's all about CL. until we're in it. then it's all about proving we're in the CL regularly.

Ridiculous isn't it?

Man City have very little history or global fan base. They've never really done anything in the CL, yet they attract top talents year in year out.

Man City have unlimited resources and a project top players believe in. You can't use them as a barometer as to why we could also get top players if only we paid bigger fees. Players know if they got there, they will fight for trophies and play at the highest level.

Conversely, players go to Man United because they are one of the biggest clubs in the world, they have unlimited resources and because it's very conceivable that they will get back to the top level very soon.

We've been shite for almost a decade and don't have the money to buy 5-6 very expensive players. This means we have to show top players that we can actually fight for honours, and qualify for the CL, or else they have no reason to join.

• Upvote 1

Man City have unlimited resources and a project top players believe in. You can't use them as a barometer as to why we could also get top players if only we paid bigger fees. Players know if they got there, they will fight for trophies and play at the highest level.

Conversely, players go to Man United because they are one of the biggest clubs in the world, they have unlimited resources and because it's very conceivable that they will get back to the top level very soon.

We've been shite for almost a decade and don't have the money to buy 5-6 very expensive players. This means we have to show top players that we can actually fight for honours, and qualify for the CL, or else they have no reason to join.

Are we not one of the biggest clubs in the world then? 

Why don't we have the money to buy 5-6 expensive players? We turnover over £300m a year and haven't spent a penny in fees for 2 years. 

• Upvote 1

Liverpool are not one of the biggest clubs in the world anymore. It's not possible to be considered as one of the biggest whilst not even playing regularly in the elite club competition.

We're on the level of Milan: a former giant who top players now avoid like the plague because they haven't done shit in years

I know nothing about the clubs financials but what I do know is that the elite players who are actually worth expensive fees wouldn't touch us with a large pole because we're the 5th richest club in our own league and also about the 6th best, meaning they have far better options than joining us.

We earn twice the amount of money as Milan. Pay them more than the teams in the CL. We should able to as we've barely spent money relative to the competitors.

As things stand we're on the outside looking in. We're not no-hopers, far from it, but as each year goes by it gets harder and harder to assume a seat at the top table. By that I mean CL qualification. Right now we are teetering on the edge of being able to do that. If we manage to do it, we need to push the boat out with our recruitment in an effort to stay there.

If Klopps time at Liverpool comes and goes without us getting back into the CL, and then hopefully going further than that to compete for titles regularly, then our future prospects at the sharp end look bleak to me.

Liverpool are not one of the biggest clubs in the world anymore. It's not possible to be considered as one of the biggest whilst not even playing regularly in the elite club competition.

We're on the level of Milan: a former giant who top players now avoid like the plague because they haven't done shit in years

I know nothing about the clubs financials but what I do know is that the elite players who are actually worth expensive fees wouldn't touch us with a large pole because we're the 5th richest club in our own league and also about the 6th best, meaning they have far better options than joining us.

We're the 9th richest club in the world. We've won more European trophies than any other English side. If that's not one of the biggest clubs in the world, I don't know what is.

We're the 9th richest club in the world. We've won more European trophies than any other English side. If that's not one of the biggest clubs in the world, I don't know what is.

If you were a young player would you put us on par with any of the other 10 richest clubs?

If you were a top prospect and had a choice would you go to Liverpool or say, Atletico or Lyon? (Both certainly not nearly as rich).

At the end of the day owners with real ambition don't make profits 3 transfer windows on the run.

Klopp said money was there in January but no one was available, we supposedly spoke to Draxler.

Give him some money and see what he can do, I understand he has never been a manager to spend a fortune but needs probably must. This is not Germany.

If you were a young player would you put us on par with any of the other 10 richest clubs?

If you were a top prospect and had a choice would you go to Liverpool or say, Atletico or Lyon? (Both certainly not nearly as rich).

I wouldn't, but not because of the reasons 3 stacks thinks. I wouldn't join us as we have zero ambition and refuse to pay competitive wages. We don't act like a top 10 club, which is my issue.
  • Upvote 1