You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Really,

Looked fucking shite against Jabba's lot yesterday.

Having seen 45 minutes of this fella I know what I'm talking about

I've only ever watched him in maybe 3-4 games to be fair. The game against United he was particularly good.

I've only ever watched him in maybe 3-4 games to be fair. The game against United he was particularly good.

I suppose Klopp must have seen something, Quite honestly I have never ever noticed him up until now. Watching Hull play has been down there with going to the dentist on my "to do" list

Yeah, that Van Dijk is shite!

For 50m, after looking good for one season playing in a manner that even made Lovren look acceptable.

Yup, that would be extremely stupid gamble on whether he could adapt or not. Nothing we've seen from him gives much of a clue.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

I beg to differ, sir! We've seen plenty from Van Dijk to give us a fair indication of whether or not he would make the grade at Liverpool. What do we want in a central defender? Let's list some attributes and see...

Heading ability - VVD ticks this box. We've conceded a fair few from set pieces and we need a central defender to help tighten this up.

Pace - VVD ticks this box. We play higher up the pitch as we are expected to make the play in most games. We saw VVD make a recovery tackle on Mane. He's quick.

Prem experience - VVD ticks this box. Signing him from Celtic would have been more of a gamble. Can he do it in the Prem? He's answered that question.

Age - we don't want a kid and we don't want an old codger. We want someone who is experienced but also has a good number of years left at the peak of their powers. VVD ticks this box.

Strength - VVD ticks this box. We've seen plenty of evidence of him getting stuck in and not being pushed around.

The price of £50M (or more) is the thing that sticks in the throat. At that money you want some sort of hybrid of Beckenbauer, Maldini and Baresi. But leaving that aside, as the game truly has gone mad in a financial sense, there are not many better central defenders than VVD.

If we have a chance to sign him, and if we have the money to do so, we should.

• Upvote 3

Id be more than happy if we bought VVD and winger,LB and a striker and nobody else.

VVD showed against us how he can defend a highline when he was able to catch and stop Mane from a certain goal