You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

Guest Pistonbroke

This

It was funny seeing 'German expertise' saying Schalke upgraded by signing Naldo as a replacement

Just bitter that Matip left on a free and to a different league. 

Considering Man City have spent over £100 million on the likes of Stones, Mangala and Otamendi, we have got an absolute steal here!

The only downside is that we are really going to miss him when he goes to The African cup of nations.

He fell out with their manager. It's likely that he will turn down the chance to play for them

• 4 weeks later...

no word of why he wasn't in any photos for training this week. I tweeted James Pearce to ask if there was any news from presser. when I didn't see a story later that night I assumed he was ok. surprised there wasn't more made of his potential absence.

fuck we found out today.

One man central defence. Lovren entertaining the new Skrtel role: shithouse central defender whose inadequacies are hidden when the team is riding a wave of confidence & there's a better man besides them. Alongside a second whippet-quick Mane-like winger, a true partner for Matip is the big addition this squad needs.

One man central defence. Lovren entertaining the new Skrtel role: shithouse central defender whose inadequacies are hidden when the team is riding a wave of confidence & there's a better man besides them. Alongside a second whippet-quick Mane-like winger, a true partner for Matip is the big addition this squad needs.

Remember when City offered us 25m for Skrtel?  It was after that "brilliant" season he had, I'm pretty sure it was the one season that Agger was healthy all season and Skrtel looked great.

Lovren is like that.  We need to sell now, sharpish, before too many people get a look at this game and realise where his level is and stop giving him credit for the man next to him.  We could probably get our 20m back, maybe more, in January.  

If that is what you said then no, it really doesnt.

We play a high line. That makes us sensational. The con to that is we need some great individuals in the defence. Matip is great. The other center backs we have on the books are an assortment of clowns and dogs.

Guest Pistonbroke

Matip reads the game well, Lovren doesn't and Lucas is OK at it but gets caught in mo mans land way to often without the pace to cut out the danger. Matip also looks comfortable on the ball and is always looking for it by making space for himself, thisgives the midfielders and the keeper choices. 

Basically Matip is the glue to why we have been defending well/better this season. 

I think Lovren is ok, he was always going to struggle with Lucas alongside when we're under pressure.  Lucas was caught out of position on numerous occasions, as he always is when playing CB.  Sometimes we get away with it, sometimes we don't.  Lucas isn't really a CB, and he can't be expected to pick it up after a few games.  

I said before the game, that while I was nervous about Lucas starting, but if we kept hold of the ball, as we have done when he's played there before, then we minimise the risk.  Today, Bournemouth came out and overwhelmed our midfield in the second half, and the CBs were repeatedly exposed.  

• 9 months later...