You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

This, but he's nowhere near vocal enough. We should sign that VVD fella to play alongside him.

100%. Matip is a good player but doesn't shout/cajole and organize the defence, and I think we need one of those. VVD is that sort of leader, as well as being a very good player. That's the future CB pairing, and we all know that's what the manager has been after. The big question is whether or not we will get there. In the meantime Lovren has his good games and then looks really jittery next time out, so you never quite know what you are going to get. 

Matip is a good player, but more of a thermometer than a thermostat. A thermometer reflects the surrounding temperature whereas a thermostat changes it. 

Matip has been the only constant in our back line this year and our defence has never been worse... I'm sure it's not entirely his fault, but it doesn't generate confidence.

Not only is it not ‘entirely’ his fault, it’s not his fault at all. The reason he has been ever present is because he’s the only decent one there.

Your willingness to continually poke at home whilst barely mentioning Lovren’s name is a display of evident bias. Bias both for Lovren, and against our only good quality centreback, Matip.

Put Matip with a solid keeper and CB partner and put Keita in front of those, them watch him grow.

Not only is it not ‘entirely’ his fault, it’s not his fault at all. The reason he has been ever present is because he’s the only decent one there.

Your willingness to continually poke at home whilst barely mentioning Lovren’s name is a display of evident bias. Bias both for Lovren, and against our only good quality centreback, Matip.

Put Matip with a solid keeper and CB partner and put Keita in front of those, them watch him grow.

Not really 9 God. I think Lovren is average and needs to be replaced...l I happen to think Matip isn't great either. He's a very passive defender for one. The reason I cried all summer for us to sign Van Dijk AND Maguire to relegate both Lovren and Matip to the bench. Without a proper defensive midfielder, we need both our centre halfs to be dominant in duels. Not unlike Vidic and Ferdinand, that season they won the league playing behind Carrick and Scholes.

• Downvote 1

Matip doesn't strike me with confidence but he's our best defender by a long long way, if he had a dominant defender next to him he'd look a lot better as the covering one because at the moment Lovren is left to handle the striker and Matip looks like he's always caught between covering Lovren when he inevitably loses out and doing what he's meant to do. Stick him next to Van Dijk for instance and I think he'd look a lot better. He does look to have a few mistakes in him and seems very weak.