You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

Young centre backs who are targeted for greatness at a young age are usually fancy dans of sideshow bib ilk, id take a hyppia or matip who fly under the radar, and what about joe gomez

That's a fair point mate, but Soyuncu is the very antithesis of shite like Sideshow Bob and Mong Stones.

Would still break the bank for Van Dijk though, especially as Sakho is a gonner.

I think it was yesterday Klopp mentioned that we have a young squad, that they're still learning. Matip is 25 and he was a free transfer. I'm not sure I understand why Schalke let him go, but Schalke (if you're reading this) I owe you a pint of Warsteiner.

Guest Pistonbroke

I think it was yesterday Klopp mentioned that we have a young squad, that they're still learning. Matip is 25 and he was a free transfer. I'm not sure I understand why Schalke let him go, but Schalke (if you're reading this) I owe you a pint of Warsteiner.

Schalke wanted to keep him mate, Matip himself turned down the offer of a new contract as he wanted to move to a better team. Horst Heldt who was general manager of Schalke at the time (stood down after last season) said that Matip didn't turn down the new contract offer lightly and was in turmoil about his decision. He also said a lot of top teams were after his signature (he didn't name them) but Matip wanted to work with Klopp.  

Van Dijk or Sule for me, to partner Matip.

Lovren has done a lot better lately though, apart from the obvious mistake yesterday. And it will be interesting to see how good Joe Gomez gets, and how quickly, as he could go to the top of the class himself. He was fast and had an old head on his shoulders when he made the breakthrough, and during his time out injured he has obviously been on the weights and added strength.

Guest Pistonbroke

Fantastic buy regardless of the fee. If he'd cost 25m I think we'd still be saying what a good signing he was and that he was a bargain.

That's a good point mate, his market value is estimated at just over 15 million on transfermarket, shrewd bit of business on our behalf and I doubt it would have come to fruition without the Klopp factor. 

They had no choice as he ran his contract down?!

Schalke wanted to keep him mate, Matip himself turned down the offer of a new contract as he wanted to move to a better team. Horst Heldt who was general manager of Schalke at the time (stood down after last season) said that Matip didn't turn down the new contract offer lightly and was in turmoil about his decision. He also said a lot of top teams were after his signature (he didn't name them) but Matip wanted to work with Klopp.  

Thanks for the background info. I must have missed this when we signed him. Glad we did and glad he wanted to work with Klopp.

Guest Pistonbroke

Thanks for the background info. I must have missed this when we signed him. Glad we did and glad he wanted to work with Klopp.

It#s been a marriage made in heaven so far, long may it continue. I'm not surprised though, he was a top notch defender for Schalke, I can see him getting even better as he gets more games under his belt. He was very comfortable coming out of defence with the ball in a Hansen way whilst playing for Schalke and they used him as a sweeper quite a few times. 

Next weekend, against Ighalo and Deeney will be the real test for him I reckon. They destroyed Sktel and Sakho last season.. hoping he will fare a lot better.

The entire fucking team were horrible in that match.  Ighalo and Deeney were made to look like world-beaters.

I was impressed with the way he effortlessly pocketed Rondon last week.  He's got all the physical attributes that the punters say terrify defenders, but he was kept silent by Joel.

Guest Pistonbroke

The entire fucking team were horrible in that match.  Ighalo and Deeney were made to look like world-beaters.

I was impressed with the way he effortlessly pocketed Rondon last week.  He's got all the physical attributes that the punters say terrify defenders, but he was kept silent by Joel.

Yep, I reckon Watford will be more worried about keeping our forward players out. 

The fuck????

Does look odd/bad in isolation to just have this pic without context.

Posted in a hurry without a quote - was in relation to the gimp mask comparison made a page earlier, and was going to say "you might as well have put this up".

My bad, left it open to misinterpretation by leaving out the other stuff!