You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Jessica ElgotVerified account @jessicaelgot
Follow Follow @jessicaelgot
More

RIGHT SO - there is some overexcitement going on with the Labour announcement. Understand party does NOT mean they are going to back all efforts for 2nd referendum. ie probably not this week. the frontbench effort is into their own amendment on their own Brexit deal

Ross KempsellVerified account @rosskempsell
Follow Follow @rosskempsell
More

Labour's announcement does NOT mean it is backing all efforts for a 2nd referendum, or a 'People's Vote' on the deal, or an in/out 2nd referendum It likely means it will probably end up backing Kyle/Wilson (GFA style vote post facto a deal) IF There is no deal by March 12

And then you've got these hurdles: > A 'damaging Tory Brexit' will have already happened - what terms for a GFA-style referendum? Massive question > If not K/W, then what 'public vote' amdt? > Is there a majority in the Commons? > Will rebels be sacked?

23 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Hallelujah.

Congratulations to everyone who kept up the pressure on the Labour leadership for so many months.

It's about as pointless as William Shatner or my bowels backing a second referendum.

"We want a second referendum!"

"No.'

Just now, Em City said:

Will Rico vote for Labour now like he's been promising for nigh on two years now?

That's the real issue with Brexit now.

#RedRico

Absolutely, why wouldn’t I. 

Although it seems the circle jerk was a bit premature and that’s not what they are likely to propose.  

5 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

the media went after corbyn and May. In fact I would say once she started orchestrating her days out and selecting which journo's could or couldn't ask questions and even when she did answer them she just said "strong and stable", they went for the throat. in fact imo, that did as much to even up the result as corbyn's policies. It's a complete myth to blame the media on Labour not winning the last election. 

They had a go at her agreed, but I don't think it was anywhere near the level they went for Corbyn.

5 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Corbyn's appeal depends on [perpetuating the impression of] a largely hostile media.

Haha ok.

10 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

They had a go at her agreed, but I don't think it was anywhere near the level they went for Corbyn.

It might not have been, but the way May was covered without doubt drove votes to Labour. Labour won votes with the manifesto. The Tories lost loads to Labour because May is a shit cunt and the press reported it as so. 

But what will be the question asked at the second referendum? They are saying that if May can push her deal through parliament, which she can't, they will propose that a referendum is called to ask the public if they agree with the deal, a proposal the parliament will most likely reject, even if it somehow manages to agree on the deal. And before the next meaningful vote, Labour will put their old proposal forward, for which they also don't have the majority. The only majority at the moment seems to be for a delay.

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Nobody pushed the MPs who left: they walked.

"People like me" have never advocated pushing anyone out. (We've been through this before.)   I believe that the CLPs have a better understanding than some remote, centralised Party HQ of who would be an attractive candidate in each constituency.  I've never heard a convincing argument against that democratic principle. 

That's the thing, you want democracy but only when it suits you. You didn't like democracy when the MP's unanimously voted for no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn. You didn't like democracy when the people of the country voted for Brexit. It's transparent where your allegiance lies when you're sticking up for people like Derek Hatton and going to Momentum meetings. Not that I have a problem with any of that. Quite right too if that's what you believe. But let's not pretend that it's about democracy. It's about taking back control of the Labour Party. That's what it's actually about.

19 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If Labour don't demand and push through a second referendum them I'm going Green. Full on fucking crusade for the plants and the lawns. 

Agreed . I'm waiting to see how much effort they actually put in to securing a peoples vote.  Notwithstanding the party resolution it all sounds too little too late and driven by defections not because it's the best option.

I am not convinced Labour would win a general election right now but I am utterly convinced that no matter what deal the dusty bin-bag threw at our faces, a referendum would be an astounding remain win. I genuinely will move abroad if this country voted to leave a 2nd time. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I am not convinced Labour would win a general election right now but I am utterly convinced that no matter what deal the dusty bin-bag threw at our faces, a referendum would be an astounding remain win. I genuinely will move abroad if this country voted to leave a 2nd time. 

Doubt I would stay either if the country slits its throat a second time

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Soz mate. We're full.