You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

On the privatisation issue, I’m yet to be convinced that the cost would justify the benefits. It seems like upheaval that isn’t particularly necessary at a time like this. 

I think there is an excellent argument that nationalised services in a lot of sectors are better than privatised ones, and there are winnable arguments over most in that Labour doc, but they would be best served picking the obvious ones, and sorting one or two first. 

Otherwise they leave themselves open to the “how can we afford it?” “typical Labour throwing money away” talk.

Just now, Jose Jones said:

I think there is an excellent argument that nationalised services in a lot of sectors are better than privatised ones, and there are winnable arguments over most in that Labour doc, but they would be best served picking the obvious ones, and sorting one or two first. 

Otherwise they leave themselves open to the “how can we afford it?” “typical Labour throwing money away” talk.

As above with A Red.

Just now, A Red said:

But perhaps it is if it gives power to Labour/Unions to hold industries/the country/future governments to ransom

I’m not sure that’s either the desired objective or even a realistic outcome. It’s certainly not something I’m too worried about. Anyway, Corbyn isn’t getting into power. I’m more interested in the blonde haired Etonian who somehow wandered into the PM’s seat. 

1 minute ago, Jose Jones said:

Don’t disagree. 

25 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Our government have a problem with things being state owned but not when it's other states.

Arriva is owned by the German government and one of the big energy firms, Eon I think, is majority owned by the French government.

Probation was recently brought back in house after a string of disasters.

Some things simply shouldn't be run with profit in mind. I put universities in that bracket too. Fucking timebomb that sector and socially and morally defunct.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Our government have a problem with things being state owned but not when it's other states.

Arriva is owned by the German government and one of the big energy firms, Eon I think, is majority owned by the French government.

Probation was recently brought back in house after a string of disasters.

Some things simply shouldn't be run with profit in mind. I put universities in that bracket too. Fucking timebomb that sector and socially and morally defunct.

Isn't E.ON also German?

By the way these companies, like RWE or E.ON are run for profit, despite the ownership, especially when they operate abroad.

43 minutes ago, TK421 said:

On a piecemeal basis in order of priority.

Exactly , I don't suppose Labour are expecting to implement every one of the 100 policies in the first half hour of government. The Tories appear to have spent a year without implementing any policies.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boss said:

Quantitative Easing is done to boost the economy and create economic growth. Those Labour nationalisation plans will cost hundreds of billions. The country does not have that kind of money to fritter away on superfluous things. The only way it could be done is by printing money, which will cause inflation, devaluing the currency and making poor people poorer. 

None of those sentences is true.

Quite an achievement. 

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The best modern example of rail nationalisation in this country is the East Coast Mainline, where the private operator failed (twice!) leaving the DfT to step in and run it, resulting (both times) in better performance in terms of punctuality, reliability, customer satisfaction and cost efficiency.

Punctuality?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16401851.call-for-probe-as-state-owned-scotland-to-london-train-line-punctuality-hits-eight-year-low/

And of course  it's more "cost efficient" for a rail operator when it doesn't have to pay an enormous franchise fee to the government. 

7 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Punctuality?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16401851.call-for-probe-as-state-owned-scotland-to-london-train-line-punctuality-hits-eight-year-low/

And of course  it's more "cost efficient" for a rail operator when it doesn't have to pay an enormous franchise fee to the government. 

The operators get much more support than they pay for "enormous" franchise fees - otherwise they wouldn't bother. It's tricky to compare like-for-like, but the most reliable estimates show that each passenger mile today costs taxpayers about three times as much, in real terms, as a passenger mile in the last comparably busy period under British Rail.

The mantra that nationalisation is more expensive than privatisation is just a myth born of dogma.

The controversial IHRA definition warns “claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavour” constitutes antisemitism.

Israel's an apartheid state, that's a fact but is now supposed to be antisemitic. Perfect example of living in a post-truth reality. They'd rather create fake racism than deal with the actual racism that's gone on in Israel for decades. Orwellian fraud cunts. Two of the best things we could do for maybe the entire planet is massively reduce the influence of right wing Zionists and their lies + deal with the ISIS/Al-Qaeda supporting cunts in Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

4 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

On the privatisation issue, I’m yet to be convinced that the cost would justify the benefits. It seems like upheaval that isn’t particularly necessary at a time like this. Ideally, in my opinion, I would like to see these industries owned by the people of the country and run in the public interest. We are quite far down the road from that and must be pragmatic. 

Nah, it’s the time for radical action, not pragmatism