You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do we have a problem with Sheffield Wednesday fans and their club?

Morse

A neighbour is a Wednesday fan and is going to the promotion final at Wembley this weekend.
He is very sympathetic to what happened and is very glad that at long last, justice has prevailed for some.

He did say something odd though...he thinks that Liverpool fans have a massive problem with SW fans and their club. He suggests that there will be bad blood (coming from our side) next year if they come up.
I was surprised at this and we discussed this over a pint last night.
(I believe that there was an issue with an out of date safety certificate etc...perhaps this is what he means).

He says that there are 96 white seats at the front of the Leppings Lane stand that never get used but he is sad that the stand hasn't been knocked down...no money.

He also says that their decline was pretty much soon after the disaster and it is an indication of their grief/guilt over the whole day.

We agreed that the fault lies squarely on the police and politicians of the time...but he still has a worry that we take issue with them.

Thoughts please?

The club ownership are the problem. If I remember correctly, their refused to put a memorial for the 96 at the ground for many years, for fear of being blamed. 

Even now I would imagine they will happily point towards the police and try and wipe their hands of any blame, just like the F.A.

The people of Sheffield that day were amazing and helpful. Queues of people outside of houses so they could phone home (pre mobile phone days) and giving food and drink to fans. 

• Upvote 2

I used to live in Sheffield and I didn't notice any antagonism from Wednesday towards Liverpool, and I can't think of any issues vice versa. As pointed out, any problem Liverpool have towards Wednesday is regarding the club's ownership at the time. The two clubs haven't actually played each other since 1999 which might well make memories hazy.

• Upvote 1

I'll be rooting for Wednesday on Monday (see what I did there? Oh, never mind). Quite apart from dread at the thought of Big Fat Head getting yet another life as a top-flight manager, Wednesday are a club that were a top-flight fixture in my youth. Makes me all nostalgic, so it does. 

However . . . 

You won't have to go very far to find examples of their fans who view the Hillsborough disaster as something that is a burden and resent Liverpool for it, which in turn is the kind of attitude that is like a red rag to a bull for Liverpool fans. Daniel Gordon, the producer of the Hillsborough documentary that so moved us all while nailing the bastards who perpetrated the disaster, was motivated in part by an attitude common among his fellow Sheffield Wednesday fans that it wasn't part of their history, that it was 'the Liverpool fans disaster'.

I think everything will be fine between Liverpool and Sheffield Wednesday fans. The inquest has completely changed the paradigm. The potential for the wrong thing to be said at an awkward time, the kind of "yeah, but really, the fans" kind of comment is still there though.

I seem to remember that the Yorkshire Post was as bad as the rag in its coverage at the time and a lot of Wednesday fans would doubtless have taken the lead from their local paper in their attitude to the disaster and their wish to absolve their club of any blame. But I can't remember any trouble at the games before their relegation.

I seem to remember that the Yorkshire Post was as bad as the rag in its coverage at the time and a lot of Wednesday fans would doubtless have taken the lead from their local paper in their attitude to the disaster and their wish to absolve their club of any blame. But I can't remember any trouble at the games before their relegation.

That would be the Yorkshire Post that still considers Bernard Ingham to be worthy of a column.

I'll be rooting for Wednesday on Monday (see what I did there? Oh, never mind). Quite apart from dread at the thought of Big Fat Head getting yet another life as a top-flight manager, Wednesday are a club that were a top-flight fixture in my youth. Makes me all nostalgic, so it does. 

However . . . 

You won't have to go very far to find examples of their fans who view the Hillsborough disaster as something that is a burden and resent Liverpool for it, which in turn is the kind of attitude that is like a red rag to a bull for Liverpool fans. Daniel Gordon, the producer of the Hillsborough documentary that so moved us all while nailing the bastards who perpetrated the disaster, was motivated in part by an attitude common among his fellow Sheffield Wednesday fans that it wasn't part of their history, that it was 'the Liverpool fans disaster'.

I think everything will be fine between Liverpool and Sheffield Wednesday fans. The inquest has completely changed the paradigm. The potential for the wrong thing to be said at an awkward time, the kind of "yeah, but really, the fans" kind of comment is still there though.

You won't be rooting for them on Monday. The final is tomorrow.

They can fuck off though.

I've no problem with Sheffield Wednesday fans whatsoever. I hope they come up and do well I.e. Stay up. I remember the days when they had a half decent team. It's a good sized city with good people and I hope they get a seat at the top table.

The hierarchy at their club was at fault with the stadium safety certificate, but that was also the FA too. And then predominantly, as has been well covered, the police were at fault.

The people of Sheffield are friendly and warm. Hillsborough was our tragedy, first and foremost, as we lost 96 of our fellow fans. But it was also their tragedy, obviously in a much lesser way, given the association with the name of their ground and their city and so on. After that it was a tragedy for the whole of football, as it could have been anyone; then finally it was a tragedy for the country, as the injustice carried a stench that lingered for far too many years.

I hope they get promoted and we have a couple of games against them, home and away, that help to reset the relationship. If there's any fences that need to be mended for anyone, hopefully it happens when we play them.

I lived in Sheffield for 5 years in the late 80s and early 90s and the vast majority of them were great. There were one or 2 twats bet they were mainly tache Utd t'blades fans.

Obviously they're Yorkie tache inbreds and some of the younger ones seem to have taken it as a personal insult to their club and city but mainly they're cool and I wish them well

I have seen the odd one or two comments on certain websites about Hillsborough but they are few and far between. The main cunts are Mancs and Chelsea fans. The people I know who were there have nothing but praise for the people of Sheffield with their help and support on the day.

It all depends on whether any private prosecutions fuck the club up in the future with regards suing the club for having no safety certificate but the FA and local council will be part of that too.

I don't think there is any particular issue with Sheffield Wednesday, club or fans.

It is  odd that of the dozens of grounds and stands which were subsequently redeveloped, that the Leppings Lane End was not one of them.

The toxic cocktail that was Hillsborough has the FA, Sheff Wed,  the local licensing authority, and the League in its ingredients, amongst others, in addition to the well documented SYP failures.It is the nature of disasters, everything going wrong at the same time.

I don't think there is much desire for a long retribution list .

For me personally Sheffield Wednesday as a club are pretty far down the list of those responsible for what happened at their stadium.  And I can't see how anyone could even have their fans on that list at all.

No problems with them from me, but I don't really know any of their fans so maybe that will change?  Rather doubt it, though.  I'm happy to see them come up if they do it.

No problem with their support, why would anyone have?

The club can stay down for good though, shower of bastards, happy to take the coin while their non-safety certificated stadium was playing host to the semi final. Them and the FA both getting off scot free at the moment is not fucking good enough.

• Upvote 1