You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ronaldo Vs Ronaldo

Lario

Just had an argument with a buddy in the pub, and I can see both sides.

I said original Ronaldo was a better striker and a better goal scorer.

The buddy said fake Ronaldo is a better goal scorer as he scores more goals, and is therefore a better striker.

There's 15 years in age between us (me being older), and he's a United fan.

I can see both sides of the argument in that fake Ronaldo has scored more so he's a better goalscorer. But I tried to explain it as which Ronaldo would you rather have going through one-on-one with the 'keeper? For me it'd be fat Ronaldo, so that makes him a better goal scorer.

Whatcha think lads?

First world problems I know!

Depends what the question is specifically.

Brazilian Ronaldo was a better footballer. Considerably better, in my opinion. But his lack of professionalism (and other factors obviously) meant that his "output", for want of a better word, was considerably less than Portuguese Ronaldo's.

I think Brazilian Ronaldo is the most talented striker to have ever played the game.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Football is a game for the soul and not the spreadsheet so Brazilian Ronaldo wins every time for me.

I have to admit to being biased. I love Rinaldo, the real one, and thus I declare him to be better. Placcy is a machine, though.

Brazilian Ronaldo could have been the best player of all time. He was unbelievable at 19/20. The year he had at Barca he was Messi-esque. Then he had a great season at Inter and nearly won the World Cup for Brazil at 21 and may well have done had it not been for what happened with him the day of the final. Then he missed a couple of years with terrible knee injuries so he could never be that good again. Still won Brazil a World Cup and was great for Real Madrid for a few seasons.

Christiano is just a monster physically and like a machine. Perfect physique compared with Ronaldo and never really been injured in his career. Put a peak Ronaldo into Madrid now and play him 60 games a season for 90+ minutes with 20 penalties a season and how many would he score? The fact he's been injury free all his career and has an insane, and selfish, hunger for goals has elevated him higher than he really warrants. 1 league title in 6 years for Real Madrid (same as Atletico) makes a lot of those La Liga goals slightly worthless.

• Upvote 2

Brazilian Ronaldo was on a par with Messi before the knee injury. To come back after two knee reconstructions, and about half the pace, and still be world-class showed how otherworldly he really was.

Beat me to it mate.  How I see it too.  Probably my favourite non liverpool player after Maradona.

Edit: ritchie nails it as well

Depends what the question is specifically.

Brazilian Ronaldo was a better footballer. Considerably better, in my opinion. But his lack of professionalism (and other factors obviously) meant that his "output", for want of a better word, was considerably less than Portuguese Ronaldo's.

I think Brazilian Ronaldo is the most talented striker to have ever played the game.

I concur. Originak Ronaldo. The most talented and lethal Striker to ever play the game. I think his ( three cruciate ? ) Knee operations really did not help with him being Professional off the pitch. When He was at PSV I remember Frank Arnesen talking about a very dedicated young man. 

Better to watch? Unquestionably the Brazilian. He was just naturally gifted and had the physical attributes to make himself and his skills extremely potent. Because he was so naturally gifted, he didn't work so hard at developing himself as a player, especially when he allowed off-field distractions to dictate his life. He didn't look after himself as well as he should have and this was a contributing factor to the injury and fitness problems that plagued him after 1998. He really was that brilliant between 1996 and 1998 that his 'Phenomenon' nickname was wholly apt. He always gave the impression that he was an easy-going personality, though not quite to the same extent as Ronaldinho later on.

Better output? Unquestionably the Portuguese. No doubt he had some natural talent but it's his immense hard work and force of will that has pushed him to score goals at a rate that is rewriting the record books. He has worked so hard to reach the level that he's at and doesn't allow off-field distractions to dictate his life like the Brazilian used to. That said, even if the stories in the media are exaggerated (and there's every possibility that they are), he doesn't endear himself to a lot of people because of the perception that he's selfish and narcissistic.

Matt le tissier was better viewing.

Id rather have had shearer or batistuta than even a peak ronaldo, esp if it was against stoke. Basically I dont even think fat ron was the best of his era but manc ron is the second best priest on craggy island of his era. The second best priest.

Fat ron was overrated but in his day great strikers were abundant, great players in general and Im not being nostalgic but i think football has peaked most european kids are playing fifa indoors and players like fabian delph are in the england squad where it would be a redknapp ince beckham.

Players like phil jones go back adams, campbell, woodgate carra, ferdinand its peaked out kids arent as arsed anymore.

Even borini and balotelli where a totti del piero vieria vialli ravanelli used to be in italy, the depth of quality isnt there any more.

• Upvote 1

Matt le tissier was better viewing.

Id rather have had shearer or batistuta than even a peak ronaldo, esp if it was against stoke. Basically I dont even think fat ron was the best of his era but manc ron is the second best priest on craggy island of his era. The second best priest.

Fat ron was overrated but in his day great strikers were abundant, great players in general and Im not being nostalgic but i think football has peaked most european kids are playing fifa indoors and players like fabian delph are in the england squad where it would be a redknapp ince beckham.

Players like phil jones go back adams, campbell, woodgate carra, ferdinand its peaked out kids arent as arsed anymore.

Even borini and balotelli where a totti del piero vieria vialli ravanelli used to be in italy, the depth of quality isnt there any more.

leowtf.gif

• Upvote 2

I preferred Romario to Ronaldo. *legs it*

That is as tough a call as Ronaldo vs Ronaldo. 

In amongst Dennis' paraffin fuelled shite up there, he made a very valid point. We were spoilt rotten for world class strikers in the 90's.

Romario

Baggio

Ronaldo

Shearer

Fowler

Batistuta

Klinsmann

Kluivert

Papin

Suker

Weah

Bebeto