You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Klopp another Rodgers?

JohnnyH

Why would Rodgers have wanted rid?

Well hindsight is a wonderful thing but at the time FIFA were saying if he does anything like this again he'd be banned from the sport for life. The club weren't prepared to let a £75m investment go up in smoke, so they sold him at near the height of his value to pass that baggage over to someone else. There was also the fact that he was banned from even training for the first 3 months of the season or something like that.

We were complete fools to sell him but at the time lots of people felt that he just wasn't in control of his actions, he was crazy. Now he's at Barcelona he's their genius, butter wouldn't melt and even if he bit Ronaldo during El Classico nothing would come of it because they have enough power over UEFA to overturn these things, we don't. 

I would say it was a conspiracy against the club and on some level it was, but i think it was more our legal teams incompetence in most if not all of the cases from the racism allegations to the Chiellini bite that fucked us up more than anything else. If the club didn't get on the phone to the Uruguayan FA and tell them that their "Suarez fell into his arm" defence was laughable then they are idiots and deserve what they got.

Their cup final this weekend. Hopefully he signs off with a trophy and then comes here. Nothing is guaranteed in football, so we really don't know how Klopp would fare at Anfield, but what we can see is that the fella is a leader of men, and he has a few trophies - big trophies - under his belt already. He's experienced, but still a couple of years shy of 50, so there's plenty of longevity potential if it all goes well. He seems the sort of fella who wants/needs a special bond with the fans of the club he serves, so in many ways you could see Liverpool being a great fit.

I'm now in the camp that says Rodgers needs to be moved on, and I'd be happy if Klopp comes in and gives the whole place a lift. Rodgers' tenure just seems to have the feel of something that has run its course. Before the last 8-9 games of the season we were still fairly hopeful of top four even if there were question marks over the signings and team shape and so on. But we had been on a decent run and that has a way of smoothing things over and getting everyone pulling in the same direction, even if there were still question marks. But then we had that disastrous last part of the season. And even if we accept the defeats to Man Utd and Arsenal (feels wrong to be saying that, but the truth is they were both well worth the three points against us) we still had plenty of other games to claim enough points that could have seen us right in the mix of top four. Instead the whole thing just fizzled out. At the moment we should have been fighting we just seemed to roll over. Man Utd even lost three on the bounce in the run in, but such was our lackadaisical approach, we still couldn't get near them.

So for me, Rodgers should be moved on, and I'm ready to go again with another manager. I think we have the bones of a decent side if someone can come in and get them going. Add a top striker, midfielder and right back, and there's no reason why we can't do well next season. But I think it is too far gone for Brendan and we need another manager. The next week or so will be revealing. It just seems like we are waiting right now.

Caveat: if Brendan survives the debrief and is put in again for next season, he will have my backing. This seems right to me as a Liverpool fan. (The obvious exception being Hodgson).

• Upvote 4

I'd take Klopp but he's still got that maverick element of 'anything could happen' vibe to him which is why Ancelotti would be my first choice. We need a steady, reliable hand and a known quantity. We've needed that since the G&H turmoil, to take stock and put in place a proper long term strategy again.

• Upvote 1

Their cup final this weekend....etc

A good post in full.

Despite his obvious shortcomings I was happy to give Brendan a try.

Three years on, over £200m spent, we are no further forwards than under KK.

The case for Brendan staying appears to be based on continuity and last season. But who wants more poor transfers and Euro failure? And the circumstances of our second finish are gone.

Whether Klopp can do better than Brendan is an unknown, but he certainly has greater credibility and clout.

With Stevie G now gone, the club has been stripped of winners and experience,leaving a combination of wanabees and never weres.

• Upvote 1

I'd take Klopp but he's still got that maverick element of 'anything could happen' vibe to him which is why Ancelotti would be my first choice. We need a steady, reliable hand and a known quantity. We've needed that since the G&H turmoil, to take stock and put in place a proper long term strategy again.

I think Ancelotti would have us top 4 every year because he just knows how to see out a season and he's tactically very astute. I think Klopp could go either way, he's like James Hunt in Formula one. Your getting a swashbuckling maverick that'll either crash the car flying around a corner or win the grand prix in style. Theres something indelibly more likeable about that.

• Upvote 1

I think Ancelotti would have us top 4 every year because he just knows how to see out a season and he's tactically very astute. I think Klopp could go either way, he's like James Hunt in Formula one. Your getting a swashbuckling maverick that'll either crash the car flying around a corner or win the grand prix in style. Theres something indelibly more likeable about that.

This pretty much sums up my thinking.

The other thing is I worry about Ancelotti being able to adapt from being at clubs where they have the best of everything to being at us with our hand me downs and British shite. I reckon he could make them stronger than the sum of their parts but I'd be concerned about his hunger at his age.

Aye so he is, I've got him lumped in the same age range as Capello for some reason. Strange given he's won the European Cup as a player within my lifetime.

Don't get me wrong, he's a Rolls Royce of a manager but I think we might need a Land Rover at this point, a Panzer will do though.

His age doesn't worry me. Having to do more with less, instead of getting the most out of top quality players does worry me. 

I'd put Klopp miles ahead of Ancelotti as being what this club needs - even if he's not miles ahead as a manager.

• Upvote 2

I'd be delighted with either

Ancelotti would be more of an old school Liverpool manager with bags of experience and a glittering CV. Klopp would take us on a strange and wonderful journey plus he'd get in loads of Germans which I'd like a lot so he just shades it for me

I don't think any manager will have us top 4 every year, those days are gone.  Man City have taken our place. 

Finishing top 4 in the league requires tactics, you can't turn up at Old Toilet expecting to win by just going after them, likewise the Emirates. Brendan doesn't understand that, or if he does he certainly doesn't know how to apply it. He's not the type of manager that can set up a defence to play a boring 0-0 away against a top team. He plays one way, we live and die by our attack and our press. If the attack is off we won't score and if nobody presses we concede easily. If they are both off then we'll get battered every time, by minnows and by top teams.

Ancelotti would have us picking up points away against the top sides by keeping the defence regimented, over the course of the season we'd be much better off. The likes of Mourinho and Ancelotti know how to win league titles, it's tactics, it's not about simply turning up and outscoring the other team. 

Both Rodgers and Klopp to some extent suffer from a fundamental philosophy that dictates how they approach games, Ancelotti's like a chameleon. At the highest level a great manager makes a difference in the league more than the cups, the cups anything can happen. Maybe not the champions league but the league cup, FA cup, UEFA etc. The league is where a good manager comes into his own and i'm convinced that if Ancelotti was in charge of us this season we'd of finished top 4.

He wouldn't of been throwing Brad Jones in against the mancs, playing a different formation every week with midfielders as centre backs, right backs as left backs, wingers as right backs, wingers as strikers. He'd of had a team sorted by December at the latest and tactically he'd of easily outsmarted the likes of Pulis, Pardew and Mark Hughes without even getting into the battles with the top 4 etc.

• Upvote 3