You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Years on and your ex-wife might still be able to take you to the financial cleaners....

melons

I think Monty covered this far more eloquently then I ever could. 

However, I think the cunt of the highest order is quoted below. 

You know, it's not often I get riled on here, but you have managed it, so well done if being a wind up merchant is the justification for your worthless little life. 

You're a pathetic excuse for a human being if you have no understanding of the costs both emotional, physical, financial or the time constraints raising a child has on a family, that said a family lessens that impact on an individual. But a single parent, its all consuming, but nah, thats way above your comprehension. 

Having kids does stop you going out and forging a high profile career, it does limit your career options, it does restrict the hours you're available for work. It actually does stop prospective employers wanting to take you on. 

So what if it is greed, he was the greedy cunt fucking off to travel around Europe, he was the one having limited input, he was the one not dishing out child support, initially he was greedy with his time. Then he became greedy with wealth. 

Cardie won that in his head, though, you know that.

• Upvote 1

Cardie won that in his head, though, you know that.

Not at all, she may be underselling single mothers though.

Just because this one is a greedy, feckless, money grabber doesn't mean they all are and plenty of single mothers who do very well, and work very hard for their children.

NO!

She is still raising his kid and he is STILL freed up to do kick on and earn his money. Partnership or not.

He's basically paying her for being given 18 years free time to get his shit going. And from what people are saying it's a 5% cut she's asking for? Don't really see how he can argue. If he takes on the kid and she goes off and makes a fortune it's the same thing - someone is carrying the responsibility, wiping arses, and frees you up to go earn your bucks.

Negative.  He could have easily gone on and done fuck all and shockingly she'd not be trying to sue for some funds.  There was no partnership at all, which is why your argument is totally bereft of logic. 

The millions he has now are irrelevant. She should be entitled to the appropriate child support payments dating back to the childs birth though, at the very least. Both parents are responsible for THEIR child. Men who wash their hands of their children because they couldn't be bothered with the cost/responsibility are fucking scumbags to a man. No excuses.

• Upvote 1

Not at all, she may be underselling single mothers though.

Just because this one is a greedy, feckless, money grabber doesn't mean they all are and plenty of single mothers who do very well, and work very hard for their children.

You think? Just the mothers or the fathers too? I can base this on personal evidence, or if you like i can string out a shit load of researched material regarding gender inequality, parental inequality, wealth inequality ect.

I, as a single mother worked 2 part time jobs, then went to uni, did a degree, attained a 2:1 and I'm now flipping burgers because the constraints of being a parent means sacrifices. You either parent or you don't. Those 2 jobs became almost impossible to jugle with the children and limited child care that was a 40 minute drive away. The degree, took me 2 years longer because I'd spent months at my daughters bedside as she frequently lost her sight. I'd bet my house I wouldn't have left those jobs had my ex helped with child care, I'd keep that house on the bet and say that I'd have nailed that degree in the 3 years, and more than that, I'd have probably got a first if I hadn't spent so long going between North Wales and Alder Hey. I'm no longer a single parent, step dad is amazing, but do I expect him to take a drop in hours or a wage cut in order to be at home more so I can go out and forge my career? 

Should my ex husband have been actually allowed to join the Navy given he had 4 children and his job meant he'd be at sea for months at a time? He got a good wage for it, but only because I did the parenting. How would he have done that role without me? 

http://www.equalpayportal.co.uk/statistics/

http://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/2013/11/equal-pay/

http://www.gingerbread.org.uk/content/1813/Paying-the-price

Would you like more? 

But his argument makes no sense.  He's talking about a mythical partnership that just isn't there.  

Err no partnership? How did the child arrive? 

• Upvote 1

Did he divorce his son too? They aren't married but they'll be parents of the same child for life.

He didn't walk away from the kid by all... He took the boy in when he was 18(it was stated earlier in the thread).  She's not suggesting that he was a deadbeat or whatever.

The bone of contention is that when he was broke, when it all occured (The kid is early/mid thirties now, right?), and she wants him to give her money more than a decade after the fact.

If the kid was 14/15 (when he started making money) and she asked for help/more/whatever... then I'd not be pissed off about it.   This is taking the absolute piss.

He didn't walk away from the kid by all... He took the boy in when he was 18(it was stated earlier in the thread).  She's not suggesting that he was a deadbeat or whatever.

The bone of contention is that when he was broke, when it all occured (The kid is early/mid thirties now, right?), and she wants him to give her money more than a decade after the fact.

If the kid was 14/15 (when he started making money) and she asked for help/more/whatever... then I'd not be pissed off about it.   This is taking the absolute piss.

He didn't complete the financial settlement process in the divorce, his fault, no one else's. It's cost him £500k in legal bills which I'm sure her team would have settled for years ago. No evidence to support it but I wonder if his new wife is a driving force behind this? So much for the fucking sisterhood.

Sorry I picked up in the middle of an argument. If he wasn't paying his way up until the kid was 18, he owes the mum backdated support, IMO. As for divorcing him, logically if they didn't settle up financially when they separated, he might owe her what he would have owed her then. I don't think for a minute he owes her millions.

Guy in work has 3 kids to 2 different women and has never had anything to do with them or paid a penny towards them. Stopped bothering with them when both mothers had kids born a month apart from each other and they found out Even the midwife in the hospital recognised him from a few weeks before when he turned up at the other kids birth.

Always out on the piss and lives with his new bird. Can't wait for him to read this article and start shitting himself.

Another girl I know has three kids but fell out with the father and he fucked off. I admire her for what she has done with the kids as she is always skint and knackered but refuses to ask her ex for any money because she hates him. He hasn't offered or attempted to get in touch with them.

I hate fathers who fuck off but I also hate women who use every thing in their power to fuck about genuine caring fathers simply because of their personal hatred or bitterness towards them.

Lance, he made a child, that is the partnership, divorced or not he still has responsibilities, he didn't honour them. It does state that he went travelling around Europe for a year not only that, but that they met again at Glastonbury years later, if he was doing his bit, surely he'd just be on the end of the phone!

• Upvote 1

I'm in agreement with RICO, I reckon she'd have gone for the 500k too and it's became a matter of principle to both now.

I honestly hope this works out to some extent for her, not for the finances but from reading some responses, the absent parents might actually think twice before fucking off on their child.

You think? Just the mothers or the fathers too? I can base this on personal evidence, or if you like i can string out a shit load of researched material regarding gender inequality, parental inequality, wealth inequality ect.

I, as a single mother worked 2 part time jobs, then went to uni, did a degree, attained a 2:1 and I'm now flipping burgers because the constraints of being a parent means sacrifices. You either parent or you don't. Those 2 jobs became almost impossible to jugle with the children and limited child care that was a 40 minute drive away. The degree, took me 2 years longer because I'd spent months at my daughters bedside as she frequently lost her sight. I'd bet my house I wouldn't have left those jobs had my ex helped with child care, I'd keep that house on the bet and say that I'd have nailed that degree in the 3 years, and more than that, I'd have probably got a first if I hadn't spent so long going between North Wales and Alder Hey. I'm no longer a single parent, step dad is amazing, but do I expect him to take a drop in hours or a wage cut in order to be at home more so I can go out and forge my career?

Should my ex husband have been actually allowed to join the Navy given he had 4 children and his job meant he'd be at sea for months at a time? He got a good wage for it, but only because I did the parenting. How would he have done that role without me?

http://www.equalpayportal.co.uk/statistics/

http://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/2013/11/equal-pay/

http://www.gingerbread.org.uk/content/1813/Paying-the-price

Would you like more?

Err no partnership? How did the child arrive?

Given we agree on the basic principle that the man owes 'something' and judging from an earlier post of yours we even agree what that something is I'm not sure why you're getting so irate.

You seem to be projecting your circumstances on to her and therefore seeing every attack on her as an attack on you.

I think there has to be a statute of limitations here between the adults but no such statute should apply to any children.

If this fella has not signed or got proof of a break up then the Mother is entitled to an agreed sum for the first 18 years of the kid's life. The kid,regardless of age,should be allowed to make a claim at any time due to the fact that he is the fella's son.

The loaded guy is a prick for not sorting out the break up properly and should certainly have to stump up a fair share to his ex,but only based on the time before the kid was legally a minor.

On the face of it the woman sounds like a gold digger but the guy who made the money and neglected his kid is the biggest twat.

Serious question. What do you think is reasonable in this case/generally?

Standard payments (as she could have got at the time). Calculated at the earnings during that time period not an arbitrary time in the future where she's decided it's worth her time pursuing a claim.