You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Sky Sports News. There was nothing better than coming home from school and hitting Ceefax page 302, before settling on the football News in Brief on 312 after going through the big stories. That's all it needed, but now we need to know what shoe size Diego Costa takes and why Nathaniel Clyne is getting a new haircut.

I didn't know Clyne had a new haircut

• Upvote 1

Only reason europa is stuck on a Thursday is due to Uefa greed when it comes to tv...

Same reason last 16 of champions league lasts longer than the fucking Olympics.

Comp will remain a joke until they fuck this Thursday shite off

And that's why it will stay the way it is....Greed will always run football

• 2 weeks later...

A player who's club is in the relegation zone but doesn't seem unduly concerned about the fact because he's having a good season:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/03/charlie-austin-qpr-delighted-harry-kane-scored-england

The way of the footballing world these days.

Good to see Owen is taking him under his wing. In a few years he will be able to spend most of his time watching his horses whilst he's not warming a bench somewhere in the lower reaches of the premiership 

• 3 weeks later...

I was disgusted on Sunday I have to say. There were loads of whoppers at the game. The songs being sung before the game were just not what we're about.

The atmosphere in the ground was appalling.

The lad sat behind me was wearing a full kit and footy boots.

At half time I paid £27 for 5 bottles of lager and a hot dog.

I'm done with it.

I was disgusted on Sunday I have to say. There were loads of whoppers at the game. The songs being sung before the game were just not what we're about.

I'm done with it.

Sound like my last season as the top row of ST holders in the upper centenary

I'm done with it.

I manged to pick up a spare in the nosebleed seats - but "only" £33 so not too bad - it was whopper central though - zero singing, no shouting or anything - just customers watching the game like they were at the theatre (admittedly standing up, but this made no difference to the abysmal atmosphere)

At the end of the game the lad sitting next to me (not with me) said to his mate "Oh well, win some lose some" without a hint of irony, he wasn't arsed at all.....

I said to my mate when got to the pub after the game "I might be done with it" 

It is dreadful, all round where i sat people couldn’t be bothered. We could go on about the reasons why all day, but it’s getting too expensive now to be that bad. It was a great day out until we got to the stadium….. It didn’t help that we produced one of our most inept performances ever at Wembley, but it shouldn’t matter. The fans should drive the team on not sit back to be entertained. It’s becoming like going to the theatre…only that’s cheaper.

There was also loads - and I mean loads of whoppers in half and half scarves, it is becoming a joke - why the frigging hell are people buying these things and wearing them. Not to mention grown men in replica shirts with names on the back...

The club aren’t doing enough to protect our dying traditions and culture Its fine while the grounds full etc but when it tails off it’s the core support that you’ve alienated that you rely on. They need to see the bigger picture yet they’re blind to it

• Upvote 2

Guest Super Sub

I think that maybe one of the problems with the below par performance of the fans may be down to the fact that probably a lot of the fans at Wembley are not regular match goers. If more people were able to go the match at Anfield regularly then maybe they would be much better fans. You are likely having a scenario at Wembley that people have got tickets for kids and relatives who don't normally go the match and aren't able to go the match because of ticket restrictions.

It's as bad if not worse at Anfield week in week out though.....half scarves everywhere, ipads out, spending half the match on phones and taking pictures, no singing - it is just abysmal.

I don't know if it is because local kids and lads have been frozen out - if it is down to this membership lark that the ground is full of whoppers or what but it is bad.

I manged to pick up a spare in the nosebleed seats - but "only" £33 so not too bad - it was whopper central though - zero singing, no shouting or anything - just customers watching the game like they were at the theatre (admittedly standing up, but this made no difference to the abysmal atmosphere)

At the end of the game the lad sitting next to me (not with me) said to his mate "Oh well, win some lose some" without a hint of irony, he wasn't arsed at all.....

I said to my mate when got to the pub after the game "I might be done with it"

It is dreadful, all round where i sat people couldn’t be bothered. We could go on about the reasons why all day, but it’s getting too expensive now to be that bad. It was a great day out until we got to the stadium….. It didn’t help that we produced one of our most inept performances ever at Wembley, but it shouldn’t matter. The fans should drive the team on not sit back to be entertained. It’s becoming like going to the theatre…only that’s cheaper.

There was also loads - and I mean loads of whoppers in half and half scarves, it is becoming a joke - why the frigging hell are people buying these things and wearing them. Not to mention grown men in replica shirts with names on the back...

The club aren’t doing enough to protect our dying traditions and culture Its fine while the grounds full etc but when it tails off it’s the core support that you’ve alienated that you rely on. They need to see the bigger picture yet they’re blind to it

All of that is spot on mate. I'd be lying if I said I haven't had some good times this season but by and large it's been shit and Sunday was the final straw for me.

It wasn't even about the footy itself really as I walked into the stadium in a bad mood already from all of the shit.

Your point about the theatre is especially pertinent as that's exactly how it felt to me. Nobody could be arsed on the day.

The soul has completely gone out of the game and I passionately believe that it's a result of the regular lads no longer going.

The game as we knew it is dead. It used to be the working mans game but it's been replaced by the middle to upper class and as such it's now about entertainment and fashion.

Fuck it.

• Upvote 2

All of that is spot on mate. I'd be lying if I said I haven't had some good times this season but by and large it's been shit and Sunday was the final straw for me.

It wasn't even about the footy itself really as I walked into the stadium in a bad mood already from all of the shit.

Your point about the theatre is especially pertinent as that's exactly how it felt to me. Nobody could be arsed on the day.

The soul has completely gone out of the game and I passionately believe that it's a result of the regular lads no longer going.

The game as we knew it is dead. It used to be the working mans game but it's been replaced by the middle to upper class and as such it's now about entertainment and fashion.

Fuck it.

The idiots at Wembley don't help either.....stupid twat on the tannoy coming out with whopper like shite, orchestrated sing a longs with stupid build ups, loud music blaring so loud you can't hear self speak let alone get a song going....

Then you have the video screen picking out and praising twats in fucking jesters hats and half scarves, as well as that dickhead on the tannoy asking people to tweet their pics to him or whatever site it was....

It's like fucking disneyland not the match...and it's shite.

• Upvote 6

If I go to any games next season it will be the odd away game and that's it.

Thats the thing though, you jib it and the club will happily sell the seat to a half scarf wearing, selfie stick carrying whopper, meaning the alienation of our proper support continues.

But that's OK because he will buy 10 programmes to take back, spend £10 on scran at half time and hand over a ton in the club shop to have sone stupid slogan printed on the new shirt.