You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mario Balotelli

WhiskeyJar

He could be replaced and was replaced. With a player who, in my view, isn't good enough. That doesn't mean "not as good as Suarez". That means "not good enough to be first choice for a Liverpool side that almost won the league and qualified for the Champions League".

I don't mind Balotelli. I just think we should have signed someone better.

Word.

I don't particularly rate Balotelli; never really have. Even when he tries hard - which, to be fair, he is - he looks pretty mediocre. He has ability, though not as much as people make out. But he's a poor decision maker and, consequently, not a great team player; and, consequently, not ideal for a Rodgers team.

A better option than Lambert, clearly, but nowhere near good enough as a Suarez replacement.

Disagree about the ability part, he has plenty. Rest of your post makes sense to me, he simply is not a very good team player.

He's greedy, but no-more so than Sturridge and his technical ability is far superior to Sturridge's.  That's not saying he's a better player, because he isn't but neither are really good team players.  If I had to guess I'd say Sturridge shoots from distance more than Balotelli and he definitely runs down more blind allays. 

I always thought Sturridge and Suarez would be too greedy to play together, but it worked perfectly - I can see the same with Sturridge and Balotelli. 

The only thing that's alarmed me so far, is the amount of incredibly good chances he's wasted thus far.  2/3 at Tottenham, 1 at West Ham and 1 against Everton - not half chances either, pretty much on a plate for him to score.

He's greedy, but no-more so than Sturridge and his technical ability is far superior to Sturridge's. That's not saying he's a better player, because he isn't but neither are really good team players. If I had to guess I'd say Sturridge shoots from distance more than Balotelli and he definitely runs down more blind allays.

I always thought Sturridge and Suarez would be too greedy to play together, but it worked perfectly - I can see the same with Sturridge and Balotelli.

The only thing that's alarmed me so far, is the amount of incredibly good chances he's wasted thus far. 2/3 at Tottenham, 1 at West Ham and 1 against Everton - not half chances either, pretty much on a plate for him to score.

Sturridge shits all over Balotelli in every department, and I don't even rate Sturridge alongside our previous top strikers - yet.

Balloteli worries me in the sense he doesn't seem to like being anywhere near the box, which is what every striker must want. They must want to be 'the' man, Balotelli looks like he's only a third arsed, at best.

Sturridge technically isn't better than Balotelli.  Balotelli's first touch and close control is literally second to none in the Premier League - I think Balotelli cares, I just think you can't change his lazy approach.  It's the same way Berbatov looked like he didn't care, but he/they obviously do.

Sturridge is a much better striker, but I, like you don't rate him as highly as others do.  Both look like they need a partner, neither can play up front on their own.

Am I the only one who thinks we've got more of a chance of scoring a late winner in a big game with Ballotelli rather than Suarez, because he's less emotional? can't wait to see us with him and Sturridge up top on a regular basis. It might not be as good as Suarez and Sturridge but I've got a feeling it will be enough to take us forward.

Am I the only one who thinks we've got more of a chance of scoring a late winner in a big game with Ballotelli rather than Suarez, because he's less emotional? can't wait to see us with him and Sturridge up top on a regular basis. It might not be as good as Suarez and Sturridge but I've got a feeling it will be enough to take us forward.

Balotelli gives us less chance of anything than Suarez.

Far more to come from him, if he does'unt buy in to our philosophy Brendon will sell him at the end of the season it's up to him really. Balotelli on paper is actually better than in reality. If you look at at all his attributes he's less than the sum of his parts. All in the head if you ask me.

1 goal in his last 19 prem appearances. It might be understandable if he was playing for Crystal Palace but for Man City and Liverpool? it's nowhere near a good enough goal return for a centre forward in a top four side. He dos'nt score enough goals and unfortunately i can't see that changing.

1 goal in his last 19 prem appearances. It might be understandable if he was playing for Crystal Palace but for Man City and Liverpool? it's nowhere near a good enough goal return for a centre forward in a top four side. He dos'nt score enough goals and unfortunately i can't see that changing.

When we signed him I said to a friend that he'd score a few spectacular goals for us, not that many overall, and be shipped out after two seasons. I stand by that prediction.

He's been a 1 in 2 striker so far in his career.  Seems he's had a few chances that's he's fluffed / been unlucky with for us. Did score a lot of penalties for his previous clubs though. I predict he will score about 15 in the prem this season. Plus around 5 in other comps. 

His goal record in Italy was severely bloated by penalties and free kicks. Which he won't get here. Looks a good penalty taker mind you, I wouldn't have any issue with himself hitting one if Stevie was out. But the point remains about his goal record. And at city, I don't remember him ever really scoring consistently. He just seemed to score a hsttrick once every six weeks. OK I'm exaggerating but his scoring record definitely doesn't mean a lot in this context.

That said, he does have ability. I'd like to see him succeed but I remain to be convinced. I don't think he's been "shite" though. He's brought something to the team. I do think well know within a season though. I wouldn't expect him to be here next season if he didn't do enough