You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-daniel-agger-closing-in-on-barcelona-move-as-xavi-plans-to-stay-9635437.html

Daniel Agger closing in on Barcelona move as Xavi plans to stay

Liverpool defender Daniel Agger is nearing a move to La Liga giants Barcelona after a £12m fee was reportedly agreed between the two clubs.

While Spanish media suggest a deal could be completed within a week, talks are only thought to be in the preliminary stages.

The Denmark international has been repeatedly linked with a move to the Catalan club over the previous two years and it now looks likely to happen after Dejan Lovren's arrival at Anfield.

The former Southampton star became the third player to join the Reds from St. Mary's after Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert joined Brendan Rodgers' squad last month.

New Barca manager Luis Enrique is seeking a replacement for long-serving centre-back Carlos Puyol after the club's former captain retired last season.

Just one of those rare deals that makes perfect sense for everyone involved imo.

If Agger does move then good luck to the lad. A great servant and a great Red.

• Upvote 4

Just one of those rare deals that makes perfect sense for everyone involved imo.

If Agger does move then good look to the lad. A great servant and a great Red.

Agreed. Although I'd have used the word "luck", but fair play, you wanted to pay homage to how sexually attractive the lad is as well.

• Upvote 2

Even if we had 50 million to go and get a world class striker we couldn't because there aren't any available at all. I think we actually have one of the best strikers around at the minute.

Totally agree.

Our forward line should be built around Sturridge, we should be looking to bring in an understudy similar to him. A finisher with pace. This Lacazette lad looks like he fits the bill, as did Remy.

In addition, I would still like somebody with some magic who can create something out of nothing and electrify the fans. Reus / Firmino.

Put Agger & Skrtel behind Wanyama & Schneiderlin and they would be best pair of CBs in the league, remember how Lovren & whole Southampton defense struggled when Wanyama got injured? He won't have such shielded defense here, he'll be exposed all the time and struggle, just as at the World Cup, he was dreadful for Croatia. Lallana can't do Hendo's and Allen's job, he needs a free role, like in Soton, but then again it was all because of Wanyama/Schneiderlin behind him, he was garbage during Vic's injury.

Results during that period;

H   Man City  (3.) 1:1  Unknown Injury

16 A   Newcastle  (7.) 1:1  Unknown Injury

17 H     Spurs  (7.) 2:3  Unknown Injury

18 A     Cardiff  (15.) 0:3  Unknown Injury

19 A     Everton  (5.) 2:1  Unknown Injury

20 H     Chelsea  (3.) 0:3  Unknown Injury

21 H     West Brom  (14.) 1:0  Unknown Injury

22 A     Sunderland  (19.) 2:2 not in the squad

So losses to Spurs, Everton and Chelsea. Draws with City, Newcastle and Sunderland. Not good form by any means, but not exactly a huge fall from where they were before or after.

According to the same site Lallana scored twice and assisted three, not exactly a downturn in output. Just before Wanyama's injury they lost three on the bounce and he never won his regular starting place back until the run-in.

I'm not saying you're entirely wrong, just that you are being extremely selective in how you have interpreted these events.

Wanyama was crap last season. Ask Southampton fans all about him, rather than just assume he was ace because he cost 10m.

I read a lot of bollocks on here, but that is a classic.

And Lovren wasn't shit at the world cup either. I paid close attention as we were linked before the tournament.

Game 1 - cheated by Brazil. Croatia were the better team.

Game 2 - battered Cameroon. Clean sheet.

Game 3 - good for 70 mins against Mexico, 7 minute brain fart and went home. Yeah they conceded 6 in 3 games but it was hardly the competition where defenders came out having excelled, it was the WC of goals and attacking. If we are basing the WC on defensive strength then Ron Vlaar is the best ever.

• Upvote 2

Also - if we are using the WC as a barometer for success, the following examples are shite -

Ramos

Cahill

Pique

Baines

Thiago Silva

Alves

Pepe

Alba

Forget what they may have won in the past, they are shite.

Best we don't talk about the likes of Ivanovic, Terry, Agger, Vidic, Miranda, Filipe Luis, and Marquinhos. They never even made it to Brazil so they are turds by default.

• Upvote 1

Actually, the Remy deal makes me feel better because at least it's obvious that the club knows that it definitely needs another goal scorer for the here and now, as opposed to Origi.

Be an interesting week or two. If we're looking at players like Lavezzi and Bony then I'm very hopeful.

I think the answer will be the type of player who can put a ball around a corner, so to speak. We've got direct strikers already, we just need that 'other' option, someone who can make a yard out of nothing.

Actually, the Remy deal makes me feel better because at least it's obvious that the club knows that it definitely needs another goal scorer for the here and now, as opposed to Origi.

Be an interesting week or two. If we're looking at players like Lavezzi and Bony then I'm very hopeful.

I think the answer will be the type of player who can put a ball around a corner, so to speak. We've got direct strikers already, we just need that 'other' option, someone who can make a yard out of nothing.

That player would be Shaqiri. Ace and obtainable. Quite why the media is not awash with speculation is something I'll never be able to understand.

That player would be Shaqiri. Ace and obtainable. Quite why the media is not awash with speculation is something I'll never be able to understand.

According to his Brother who's his agent he'll be renewing his contract at Bayern.

According to his Brother who's his agent he'll be renewing his contract at Bayern.

Accepting a 3rd season as benchwarmer to Robben and Ribery. There's ambition for ya. Oh and the world cup golden boy Gotze will be far more prominent this season now the injuries are gone. Oh and Lewandowski having signed.

He's getting less playing time than usual this year, whether he wants to believe it or not.

You know, Jay Rodriguez is a very good player as well.

Some of goals last season were very impressive indeed. He's got real pace, great close control, and it's impressive to see how he took to the PL for the first time. He could improve massively still over the next few years.