You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

57 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That stat @TheHowieLama posted at the weekend (maybe on the Nunez thread) would suggest Nunez would be more than equipped to replace them if he was given the minutes. 

When we signed Nunez, his expected stats pointed towards him being the preemptive Salah replacement as the one that could potentially score and assist every game at some point if his development goes right. 

I think he is close to becoming that player if he can figure out why he can't play every game.

On 20/10/2023 at 06:06, Curly said:

I don’t think Lewandowski belongs in that list mate. An out an out and true a striker as you’ll find.

I would say my point was supposed to be more about his role than his position. Maybe clumsily put by me.

I do think he is very good technically though. Better than he is being credited for.

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

When we signed Nunez, his expected stats pointed towards him being the preemptive Salah replacement as the one that could potentially score and assist every game at some point if his development goes right. 

I think he is close to becoming that player if he can figure out why he can't play every game.

I think he'd play every game if we didn't have Salah. The issue now is Salah gets let off loads of the pressing and defensive work and whole Nunez has massively improved in that direction, he's never going to be a pressing machine. 

20 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think he'd play every game if we didn't have Salah. The issue now is Salah gets let off loads of the pressing and defensive work and whole Nunez has massively improved in that direction, he's never going to be a pressing machine. 

I agree with that, I think that's it as well. 

I think we're in a dilemma since we signed Nunez where him and Salah clearly have great chemistry, and that's reflected in how much Nunez has assisted him, but the off ball part of it has to be navigated by Klopp.

But would you then not say that this may make Salah more expendable than people think?

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I agree with that, I think that's it as well. 

I think we're in a dilemma since we signed Nunez where him and Salah clearly have great chemistry, and that's reflected in how much Nunez has assisted him, but the off ball part of it has to be navigated by Klopp.

But would you then not say that this may make Salah more expendable than people think?

I'd sooner have 2 players full of goals and assists than one! Replacing someone of the calibre of Salah is almost impossible. If Salah goes, hopefully Nunez is able to provide some of the goal action, but I think it'll very much depend on who comes in too. I trust klopp sorting the forward line if he's got funds, I don't know if I believe the club will make sufficient funds available if we don't get a shit load of money for Salah. 

At the end of the day I think only a mad man would want Salah gone. But football goes on and I trust klopp to find a way and Nunez will likely be part of that. 

32 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'd sooner have 2 players full of goals and assists than one! Replacing someone of the calibre of Salah is almost impossible. If Salah goes, hopefully Nunez is able to provide some of the goal action, but I think it'll very much depend on who comes in too. I trust klopp sorting the forward line if he's got funds, I don't know if I believe the club will make sufficient funds available if we don't get a shit load of money for Salah. 

At the end of the day I think only a mad man would want Salah gone. But football goes on and I trust klopp to find a way and Nunez will likely be part of that. 

I mean, I agree with the first sentence in theory and I think everyone does as well but, if we want to say that Nunez isnt playing every game because he and Salah together dont defend enough, then logically, they maybe arent as valuable individually, or lets say; irreplaceable, as we think they are. We obviously want to have one monster goal and assist threat on the pitch at all times, but is having both optimal because of said off ball issues?

And lets say Salah is the one on the outs because of his contract, his age, Saudi interest, etc...

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean, I agree with the first sentence in theory and I think everyone does as well but, if we want to say that Nunez isnt playing every game because he and Salah together dont defend enough, then logically, they maybe arent as valuable, or lets say; irreplaceable, as we think they are. 

And lets say Salah is the one on the outs because of his contract, his age, Saudi interest, etc...

It could be the case Salah is the one to be phased out, it would be good continuity planning..but imo mo is going to play while he's at the club.. Nunez in the meantime needs to just keep working on things to make it harder and harder to not play him. I do feel Nunez has been part of the plan to ultimately replace Salah, i just don't think that accelerates us wanting rid of Mo, it just protects us if he's the one who makes the decision to go or demands a salary we just can't pay to stay. 

We'll have three forwards comfortably in double figures over the season, besides Mo. Probably Diaz too once he finds his mojo again. Probably greater input from the midfield too, Szoboszlai, Gravenberch, Elliott and Jones all more likely to score than anyone in our midfield since Gini (and most are more likely to score than him too).

Goals won't be an issue this season. Defence will be the factor that limits what we achieve.

We'll definitely need to add another goalscorer if Mo leaves, but no shit.

24 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The few times over the last decade we have been really, really good we had two top goal scoring forwards.

The caveat to that is; we couldnt defend whatsoever in 2013-14, in part because the team was so unbalanced (and we had some mediocre players in the 11) and then 2 of the front 3 in the Salah, Mane, Firmino years were two of the best off ball players in the world. 

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The few times over the last decade we have been really, really good we had two top goal scoring forwards.

At times we've had three.

DYr1opwXUAEivOx-480x360.jpg

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Pidge said:

We'll have three forwards comfortably in double figures over the season, besides Mo. Probably Diaz too once he finds his mojo again. Probably greater input from the midfield too, Szoboszlai, Gravenberch, Elliott and Jones all more likely to score than anyone in our midfield since Gini (and most are more likely to score than him too).

Goals won't be an issue this season. Defence will be the factor that limits what we achieve.

We'll definitely need to add another goalscorer if Mo leaves, but no shit.

I'm not sure Diaz will ever be prolific, I just don't think he gets into goalscoring areas enough, his finishing seems ok when he gets into good areas. He's more like a conventional winger/left mid in terms of the positions he picks up, but he's on his right foot, so he doesn't naturally go on the outside - I wish he'd do that more as saw on the sending off on Saturday. 

Jota, mo and Nunez will all score plenty for minutes played and gakpo looks to be a 1 in 3 type of fella. I'm not so sure we'll get plenty from the midfield, but it'll be more than we've seen from the likes of fab, Henderson, thiago and Gini. I'd love us to find someone who can get a return like gundogan did for city. Or a few blockbusters like de bruyne.

• Upvote 1

On the salary stuff that so many of us got worked up about, including myself. 

Say we think the reported £400k is far too much, and that he should be on £200k. That's an additional £10m a year. For three years that's £30m extra. Given the man's brilliance and the transfer market out there, that's an absolute bargain. He's exceptional and his agent had this recognised. 

(I'd give Alisson similar if he asked.)

• Upvote 4