You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So...Manchester City!

WhiskeyJar

Manchester City vs Liverpool  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Predict the result

• Win
    • Draw
    • Loss

I though Suarez was outstanding. We judge him on goals but he turned provider today due to not getting the service he usually does due to the opposition. He created so many chances and showed just how important he is to us.

Thats quite true, but he has set the bar higher and higher with every game WRT his direct goal threat.

It's the worst I've felt then after any other defeat this season. On clear chances we absolutely battered the perceived best team in the league and how we didn't strut out of the stadium with 3 points I'll never know. The only keeper having to make saves was Hart, they got to a certain point in attacks but then didn't do much else. Sterling and Coutinho need to get some extra shooting practice, I need to lie down and calm down. Maybe we'll give Mourinho his first home loss.

Couple of points.

What Skrtel was doing at one end.Kompany was doing at the other. That is why there was no complaints from Kompany et al at any point in the game.

The referee did not cost us this game in any way, which is why i was surprised at Rodgers incendiary comments after the game.

Apart from sakho visibly wilting as the game went on, i thought we played well, but were beaten by the better team on the day

Don't think we lost because of refereeing in this one to be honest. We played well, against the team who are strong favourites to win the the league and who have steamrollered most of our rivals at home, and arguably were the better team. No shame in losing, just disappointment. And all this despite having the laughable Cissokho at left back. If Flanagan were fit, the 2nd goal wouldn't have happened, no way he'd have been that far up the pitch and not busted a gut to get back. The lazy shit bastard. I hope we fuck him off back to Valencia in January, fee or no fee already paid. 

It wasn't a penalty.

The offside was onside, that was a very poor decision, and Liverpool were badly done to on that.

It's easy to look as a bad decision and say "we'd have scored, and therefore the result would have been.....", but that's wrong. We'll never know how the game would have panned out if different decisions had been made, but still, it was a poor decision that almost surely would have resulted in a goal for Liverpool.

In all honesty, Suarez didn't put a foot wrong until the last 10 minutes, when frustration got to him and he overdid some play acting. But that's about it. Both teams played fairly, and both went for a win (which both teams should be commended for).

On another day, City would have taken their chances and won 5-2, or Liverpool would have taken theirs and won 5-2. It was a pretty even game all in all and City were relieved with the final whistle blew.

Liverpool put in the strongest performance at City of any club who've played there (in the PL), and as I said, could have come away with three points on another day.

As for Mignolet's 'blunder'.... I think he's being harshly judged. He was virtually one and one with Negredo who could have blasted it under him, chipped him, or gone round him (maybe), and when the shot did finally come, it actually took a slight swerve. On camera it's made to look like Mignolet was trying to do some sort of overly dramatic tip over the crossbar, but I'm not having that... he just managed to get a hand on it at the last moment (after the slight swerve)... but it wasn't quite enough.

Having seen MOTD's version of the match, it made City's breaks look very quick, but when watching the ACTUAL match, Liverpool's breaks were even quicker. Liverpool were lightning fast when they broke and looked a danger every time they broke away.

Personally, I think both teams should be applauded for trying to win. Arsenal and Chelsea played 'not to lose' and it showed.

The game also showed that Liverpool ARE the real deal. I'm tempted to say with just 1 or 2 first class signings they could be shockingly good, but the fine balance Liverpool currently have won't be easy to improve on... it's hard 'slotting in' new players (even if they are superb) without it changing some sort of team dynamic. But if Rodgers manages to do it well, Liverpool will be as formidable as I've seen them in possibly the last 8 years or so (maybe even longer).

City got lucky today. I don't want to say it was a total fluke - because it wasn't, but lady luck fell in their favour. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.... but the game was THAT close, and that can only be a very positive sign for Liverpool.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I watched the game in the pub with a couple of mates and we all said at the end that it didn't feel like a defeat... i know ridiculous but i thought we matched the best team in the league by far today in their own backyard and if we continue to play like that  we should be in with a shout at the end of the season. 

We seriously need a stronger bench though... and two new fullbacks!!!!

And you can be sure Mourinho will mention this at some point before Sunday to get it in the refs mind....

I hope Rodgers will be mentioning it to him sharpish.

Being completely honest, if he gives away a penalty with one of these shirt-pulling moments in a game, he'll have no one to blame but himself.  If I were the referee I think I would have already given one or two against him this season - some of them have been really blatant.

I thought we were very good, but I'd have settled for us being shit and getting a draw. Ming has been brilliant all season and it shows how good he is when we are disappointed he didn't save a one on one.

That aside how horrible are women when watching footy in a pub? 3 or 4 pissed up slags laughing in a young lads face when City scored. He was the only other liverpool fan in the pub! Oh and they were the lads aunties.