You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is something wrong with our defence

Pureblood

• 2 months later...

I would like to revisit the point made about Mignolet in this thread.  It is still costing us and other teams have figured out that if you cross the ball near our six yard box he is unlikely to come and claim it.  What to do?

Play Sakho. He seems to win aerial battles more than our other CBs and his solidity at LCB should allow Cissokho to get closer to whoever tries crossing from that side.

The problem of having a keep unable to properly deal with crosses is so old that it almost feels like it's one attached to the club. When we've pushed keepers to attack the ball it tends to end in them punching, this ends in varied success or getting caught under the ball and watching it nodded into an empty net.

Mig's best asset is reflex shot stopping, so I'd prefer he stays on his line if necessary. Not ideal, but perhaps the lesser of two evils.

I'd certainly say the keeper has won us far more points than he's lost us this year. Seeing shots stopped was getting quite rare.

Sakho or Agger with Martin plus Enrique back and suddenly the defence doesn't look quite so wobbly. I don't recall so many injuries across the back line, to be in fourth with those Knicks is fucking incredible in my opinion and needs applauding.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

There's only so much the centre backs can do.

There is but I'm confident that kicking the ball anywhere but into our own goal is one of them. I'm not saying he shouldn't come and claim certain balls, but I think it's a lot to do with the uncertainty of the defence. If we had defenders who were good in the air, I'd actively want him to stay away from doing it because it's not his strong suit.

I think there's always the hope that, with a settled CB pairing in front of him, he could try to learn that skill, but like good distribution it's not going to come naturally to him.

It'd be great to see him take charge of anything that comes in and around the six yard box, but the worry is he'd come, miss, and in doing so ruin any chance of a CB attacking the ball. 

Staying on his line and making reaction saves probably gives him, and the defence, a greater chance.

I'm struggling to think of a keeper that really commands his area, aerially speaking, in this league now.

What does that have to do with Mignolet?  The end result has been the same whoever is in front of him; he stays put on his line. 

This is true, although is seems that a lot of people don't recognise the problem. Reina is miles better at coming off his line than mignolet, mignolet is a better shot stopper. Its pretty hard to work out which prevents more goals. In my opinion fulhams second goal was as much mignolets fault as skrtels.

• Upvote 1

I think there's always the hope that, with a settled CB pairing in front of him, he could try to learn that skill, but like good distribution it's not going to come naturally to him.

It'd be great to see him take charge of anything that comes in and around the six yard box, but the worry is he'd come, miss, and in doing so ruin any chance of a CB attacking the ball. 

Staying on his line and making reaction saves probably gives him, and the defence, a greater chance.

I'm struggling to think of a keeper that really commands his area, aerially speaking, in this league now.

Good post and I can see both sides to this.  

How about Cech?  He is still top notch, in my opinion.  

Good post and I can see both sides to this.  

How about Cech?  He is still top notch, in my opinion.  

He's probably about as close as the league's got, but he seems prone to the odd brain fart post-head injury. He was rock solid before that.

Howard's not too bad, and Begovic has good patches, but no one's close to Cech's earlier form.

There's only so much the centre backs can do. It would give them more confidence, and the team as a whole, if the keeper claimed the odd aerial ball. I'm not hanging Mignolet out to dry but I do think it's a recurring problem and other teams have sussed it out.

Think our defenders are always going to be under pressure because of the way we play. Under Rafa and Houllier they were defended by two centre mids and a side which played narrow and defended from the front. This is why Carra got caught out a lot more towards the end of his career because he was often playing as the last man and was miles away from another defender.

We have been very unlucky with our defensive injuries this season. Hopefully with a settled back 5 we may see improvement but will always concede a lot due to how we play. Unfortunately we are not going be score for fun and be as tight as cramp at the back, unless we sign some very good defenders.