You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Season is now under way, what can we expect this season?

Code

I should have started this thread before we got knocked out of the League Cup by the worst mancs team in recent history as I think a lot of people had hopes we would have two good cup runs this year seeing we are not in Europe.

The transfer window is closed, what we now witness is what most teams will have to mange with during the season apart from probably minor adjustments from some in January.

So the question is what do you hope to achieve this season and what do you expect to achieve this season?

So far I have not seen really been impressed with any teams in the league this season, but I'm also vary of the fact that even if we think we have had a great starts to the season so far pointwise and many feel teasm like City and Chelsea in particular have struggled a bit they are only 2 and 3 points behind us and while I think we will struggle to maintain our point pr game average sadly I can see the two mentioned teams only getting better with time.

Spurs while not spectacular have been rock solid and only conceded two goals so far and then you have Arsenal who have had a good start as well.

When it comes to the FA Cup anything but a semi final will be a massive failure considering our our early exit in the League Cup and no European football, so a semi will be a minimum for me, I really hope we can reach a final though as we need to figth for trophies.

When it comes to the league I obviously hope we will win it, but more realisticly I think we might finish 5th above the mancs who are fuckin shite. 

Our squad is not good enough to maintan the point average we currently have, especially in midfield/attack where I think we are down to the bare bones when it comes to qualtity and quality, we have no one to come off the bench to turn a game in our favour if our starting 11 does not deliever and over a full season we will end up paying for this.

So to sum it up.

League: Hope to win it, expect 5th and 5th is also the minimum acceptable achievement.

FA Cup: Hope to reach the final, then everything can happen, expect semi final and that should also be a minimum.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

4th should be the minimum acceptable achievement. 

The squad isn't good enough to expect a top four finish.  Striker, centre midfielder and probably a wide man short.  If Brendan manages it this season with what we've got, he'll have us punching above our weight.

honestly with regards to most the top sides I don't think we know anymore than we did in August with the exception of Man U, I still expect them to make top 5 but they are far worse than I expected even if I did think the managerial change would make a huge difference I still thought they'd be 3rd albeit nowhere near title (which of course could still happen)

top 4 should always be the minimum aim but as long as there is significant improvements on previous seasons jobs shouldn't be on the line with failure to make it, shame about League Cup but hopefully can have a good go at winning the FA Cup

I've got no idea I've no sense of our team, I've no sense of any other team in the league. No one is great and few are truly terrible. I think we could play average and Sturridge and Suarez could win us this league were equally as capable of getting no where near top 4 too. Our midfield is a problem. So far we've been average with moments of brilliance and moments of madness yet we have been picking up the points. If we settle on this 352 variation bring Johnson into the side coutinho into the side and sissoko and Enrique swap now and then, I think we could walk top 4 if we stay injury free even if it was just a by product of others dropping more points than they should do.

I expect us to run top 4 very close, the season shouldn't be over too early. Its a mad league I like it this way.

A title challenge would be excellent. To be honest, finishing 4th would be excellent. To be back in the champions league, possibly keep our best players, and maybe attract some new top class players? 4th and an FA cup, i'd snap anyones hand off for that right now, nut only because I don't think we have much of a chance of 1st or 2nd over the course of 38 games, given the quality of Chelseas and Citys squads.

Spurs while not spectacular have been rock solid and only conceded two goals so far

That's some great jinxing work there.

Would be happy with top 4 too, don't think we have the midfield for a genuine title challenge. That could be fixed in january if we do well enough, but can't get my hopes up enough to genuinely think about it at such an early stage.

• Upvote 1

Always deep down hope to win the league or a cup and believe we will until impossible.  Realistic league hope this season without heart ruling head, top 4.  Realistically expect this season as a minimum, top 6, though I think Everton are much better than a lot are giving them credit for. 

Cup-wise, it all depends who you draw and for that reason I personally think it's unrealistic to state how far you expect the team to progress in a cup as a minimum acceptable outcome.  Take it game by game was good enough for the greats of the club, in cup terms it's good enough for me.

Totally agree with Code re quality and quantity of attacking resources.  If we are very, very lucky with injuries until January, and have another window like the one this year with 2 top class players coming straight into the team in the biggest areas of need, we could push for a position in the top 2 or 3.  

Beneath Suarez and Sturridge in particular though we lack players I feel can be anywhere near relied on at this level, meaning you drop from one of the best players in the league to ones who may not get a game in the lower sides, Borini currently being a case in point, and Aspas is unfortunately in that kind of company until he shows a lot, lot more. 

The League Cup exit also backed that up for me.  Neither Suarez nor Sturridge were at their best, but there was nothing on the bench that you would choose over them at a reduced level of sharpness.  That usually catches up with you.

• Upvote 1