You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'll have that Draxler lad, never seen him play but he's ace. Sell Enrique get Baines, bring Mash back. Alonso too. And Mata. League is ours. Easy.

We won't be getting any of the targets there bar Alonso and maybe an extremely small chance for mata.

Draxler was always going to be a bayern/Madrid player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hughes is nothing like Allen at all, different style, different midfield role, hope we'll get him, but defensive midfielder first and foremost

Yeah, he's definitely not like Allen. He's more of a Roy Keane type, albeit minus the aggression.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I've watched very little of him, but the hype surrounding Hughes is mega. People are calling him the next Scholes, and saying he's going to be a world class player. If he's a massive Liverpool fan, and clubs like United and Spurs are desperate to sign him, we should surely not pass the opportunity up? I mean, the owners have harped on about young talent. Now seems the chance to do it.

It'd be good to see how Rodgers could improve him. Rodgers is a quality coach, by all accounts.

Roberto Firmino from Hoffenheim looks like he'd be a very good buy. Looks like Coutinho with more goals. Hopefully won't cost as much as some of the other names. Could be that goal scoring mid we missed out on signing after Mikky boy snubbed us.

Kevin Volland is the Hoffenheim player to get in my opinion.

It's always tricky assessing players a notch down. If they look good, everyone is on the case. But then the hype usually inflates the price beyond anything sensible. That's probably what will happen with Hughes. I suspect he will go for something like 12-15M pounds. And at that price it's a big gamble. We already have players who can't get a look in here who would be very good players in the Championship. 

On the other hand, you don't want your competitors getting an edge by signing (potentially) the next big thing, so you feel compelled to get in there... It's a tricky situation. 

If we are to make a signing like this, I'd like to see the price kept low (5M ish) in exchange for Wisdom on loan (done), possibly also throwing Sterling in on loan (January) and letting Derby keep Hughes for the remainder of this season and next. 

Why so long?

He will play a lot of competitive football and have every chance to grow as a player, probably moreso than if he came here and hung around the periphery of the squad. Best case scenario at that point is he comes here and makes a name for himself. The downside is that he doesn't kick on as a player in the next 18 months, but even if that happens, we've 'only' invested a smallish fee, and I would imagine we would still get our money back. We would have also allowed a couple of our fringe players to gain vital competitive experience too. 

• Upvote 1

For me Hughes is top class, lets remember hes only 17 18 and is already one of the best players in championship.

I haven't watched him every game but any time I have seen him he has been excellent and is a very classy player.He is creative and can play the defence splitting pass but will not always look for this when the easy pass is the better option.

Absolute no brainer for me, even if he doesn't have a place on first team right now we sign him and loan back for a couple of seasons.Hes going to be the real deal Imo and if we have a better chance then other clubs to sign him because hes a fan we should take it.

• Upvote 1

Kevin Volland is the Hoffenheim player to get in my opinion.

nah, Seb Rudy & Firmino for me, would cost 15-18m combined and would solve our midfield and another creative playmaker/attacker issues, both perfect for boxed 4-2-2-2 formation. I'd prefer Guidetti over Volland tbh.

oh, and Schalke's midfield is packed with young amazing players - Meyer, Goretzka & Draxler is ridiculously good midfield trio, they complement each other perfectly, so much potential there, too bad for them Draxler will soon fuck off to Real/FCB/PSG/Bayern/etc.

I'm not sure we'll sign Hughes now, he should have been bought in the Summer if we were going to do it.

We can't guarantee him regular games, he needs that to continue his development.

I think he's a lot more likely to see Swansea or Everton as a place to develop and play regular football with a manager who plays the right football. I'm not saying we don't play the right football or have the wrong manager, but we just sold Shelvey and loaned out Suso because neither could play regular football for us.

There are two caveats though, the first being Gerrard being England captain and the standing this may have with Hughes. The second is that we also have Rossiter, Chirivella, Brannagan, Dunn, Texeira, Wilson etc etc who need to go somewhere and learn the trade, and Derby looks an ideal place to me. Not far from Liverpool, they play good football on a good surface in a tidy stadium, and we've already begun that process with Wisdom going there.

I wouldn't pay more than £5m for Hughes though. He's 17 for christs sake and it's a total gamble. But the deal should look something like £5m up front, and then £5m extra for every 50 appearances for us. We take the risk, but not a massive risk, and Derby get rewarded if he turns out half as good as they think he will.

However, offset that against how much they might earn if they get into the PL, and £5m isn't a big enough incentive. Looking at the table now, it's not clear if they'll finish mid table or in the play off positions, so that's the risk they have to weigh up if a deal is to happen in January. Complex deal I think.

I'd be disappointed to see us spend £10m+ on Hughes and not on a defensive midfielder or wide attacker, that's the honest truth, but I certainly like what I see from Hughes.