You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

I doubt Borini is going anywhere. Sturridge is brittle and Suarez won't be able to play until the transfer window closes - assuming he stays.

Rodgers simply doesn't rate Skrtel. I was hoping to see more of Kelly in the pre-season as it seems time for him to challenge for a place at CB. Maybe that's what's pushing Skrtel out.

I'd assumed Coates would have been one of the first players out. He's even an afterthought when Rodgers lists the defenders he's got.

If Skrtel going equates to Papa coming, and the same for Costa and Downing, then i'm sure many would be happy with that, but the suspicion is we'll just be reshuffling the pack we've already got and hoping on the off chance of better players coming in.

If Skrtel going equates to Papa coming' date=' and the same for Costa and Downing, then i'm sure many would be happy with that, but the suspicion is we'll just be reshuffling the pack we've already got and hoping on the off chance of better players coming in.[/quote']

That's my suspicion too. I do think we'll make 1 more signing though.

But if we end up letting 3/4 more players go I think we'll be stretching the squad thin a bit. Not so much that we'll miss the quality of the players but in the event of any serious injury crisis we'll be left throwing people in at the deep end again like we had to do last year. And thats a big risk.

I think Borini can provide valuable goals from the bench. I reckon he's the type of player who can get those lucky deflections and rebounds, he just needs to improve his composure. His movement is good enough that he'll get a lot of chances playing with the likes of Coutinho, Suarez and Aspas

Downing just never really worked out. Not a terrible player by any means but vastly overpriced a bit one dimensional.

As for Borini, I'd like to think he will come good at some point but I just don't see much of a player in him. He's no better than Downing for my money; and if anything he's actually worse. I don't see anyone coming in for him right now though so hopefully he can push on this season and show he's not a complete dead loss.

I really liked Downing in his last season at Villa and was pleased that we signed him (albeit I was also surprised at the fee) but whats held him back is him not being willing to try anything and always playing it safe particularly in his first season, if he did what he did at Villa and ran at full backs, put crosses in and looked for goalscoring opportunities he'd have been a decent if not spectacular player for us,his form at the end of last season imo means it wouldn't be end of world to keep him as a squad player but what with his wages I won't be at all sad to see the back of him if he goes (absolutely hated him a year ago and would've carried him to Newcastle so its an improvement mind!)

Downing is the perfect example of a English player , who had one or two good games as a youngster and got totally overhyped about.

He has been ok at most for short periods for some of his clubs. He is another Geoff Thomas or Andy Carroll a Neil Webb all overhyped and English and teams fall for it everytime.

I'm probably being unrealistic here but here goes. I wonder what others think on here.

Why can't we go out and target three top class players, with the purchase of each convincing the others?

I.e. we are going to be buying x, y and z so although we are not in the CL now, it won't be long until we are. In other words, sell them through a statement of intent.

I'm sure this is similar to what we did under Kenny, the only problem being that we spent it terribly.

I'm probably being unrealistic here but here goes. I wonder what others think on here.

Why can't we go out and target three top class players, with the purchase of each convincing the others?

I.e. we are going to be buying x, y and z so although we are not in the CL now, it won't be long until we are. In other words, sell them through a statement of intent.

I'm sure this is similar to what we did under Kenny, the only problem being that we spent it terribly.

I think if Suarez goes we simply have to go and make some real top quality signings. Or the best quality we can get.

But theres so many variables at play now. Time we have left, wages we're willing to play, lack of CL football, other clubs sniffing round.

But I think you're right in the sense that we have to show some intent. Or at least try.

I think if Suarez goes we simply have to go and make some real top quality signings. Or the best quality we can get.

But theres so many variables at play now. Time we have left' date=' wages we're willing to play, lack of CL football, other clubs sniffing round.

But I think you're right in the sense that we have to show some intent. Or at least try.[/quote']

I agree mate. For me it's simply bewildering that we haven't signed somebody yet either way. Maybe I'm not as patient as others but seeing our top targets seemingly snub us doesn't fill me with confidence. It's nice enough swiftly buying peripheral players for whom we face no real competition, doesn't do much for me though.

The 'gradual progression' model we're following is very noble but never realistic. We have basically spent fuck all net this summer and still talking about selling players.

We need to sign two top class players if that prick stays. Four if he goes. It's going to be hard but our scouts, our owners, our manager and our CEO get paid for that reason.

Back to Suarez, he is reported to have given fresh interviews to two tabloids in which he is suggesting that the club gave him written promises last year that he would be released if Liverpool failed to achieve a champion's league berth. It looks like he has been advised to rachet the pressure. At the same time he wants to sound conciliatory....I'm not seeking to move in order to hurt Liverpool...blah blah. I doubt we would be so idiotic as to dismiss his request offhand if indeed we have given such a written pledge. But I wouldn't be so sure. It's all on the Beeb.

Back to Suarez, he is reported to have given fresh interviews to two tabloids in which he is suggesting that the club gave him written promises last year that he would be released if Liverpool failed to achieve a champion's league berth. It looks like he has been advised to rachet the pressure. At the same time he wants to sound conciliatory....I'm not seeking to move in order to hurt Liverpool...blah blah. I doubt we would be so idiotic as to dismiss his request offhand if indeed we have given such a written pledge. But I wouldn't be so sure. It's all on the Beeb.

I think indeed he is trying to force our hand but we hold the cards. I am pretty sure that he has no written guarantee, the noises coming out of the club confirm that. Either we hold firm or we fold but I honestly think unless the club is offered the right amount of money, he will be staying.

50m plus or the stays, I believe that.

After reading the Suarez quotes this morning it's been enough to turn me for the first time, and I now don't want him at our club anymore. Obviously I don't have a solution, but I think he's now gone too far with voicing his desire to leave and I feel he's not going to stop until he gets what he wants (unfortunately that's football now) and his past history suggests he'll do it to the next club after 18 - 24 months too.

In a way, i'd also like to see us sell him to Arsenal for £50m+ and then for us to finish above them and they fail to get into the Champions League, but that's an unlikely scenerio I know.

Can't find the Anzhi Makhachkala thread, but their owner has reported to be considering pulling the plug on his massive investment in the club, or at least scaling things back. There have been stories of infighting amongst the players (recent signing Igor Denisov supposedly kicked things off, but shrinking violet Samuel Eto'o was involved too), the owner recently lost millions after a huge fall in value for one of his stocks, and there have been rumours of ill health. They are getting rid of Rene Meulensteen, the former ManU assistant who has only been in charge at Anzhi for a fortnight, and have already put in place agreements to get rid of a significant number of players including the likes of Denisov, Zhirkov etc.

Eto'over? Billionaire Kerimov sells Anzhi top players, wants to 'change course' — RT News

Eto'over? Billionaire Kerimov sells Anzhi top players, wants to 'change course'

Billionaire Suleiman Kerimov, owner of the Russian football club Anzhi, has decided to sell key players and drastically cut financing. The news has taken the Russian football world by storm.

The Friday decision comes on the heels of the fourth Premiere League match with Rostov, which ended in a 0:1 loss for Anzhi. It is now being said that the club will no longer aim for super-club status, brought on by Kerimov's decision of a radical change of direction from a star-studded club to one revolving around more local players.

The start of the football season has brought much embarrassment to Anzhi, who only a month ago were seen as number one contenders for championship status. But four tours landed them at the 13th position and no longer able to play a number of important matches.

Anzhi now looks to be one uncontrollable vehicle due to several factors including Guus Hiddink’s recent departure from the club and a sub-par performance under his assistant Rene Melensten. However, it appears that a conflict brewing between midfielder Igor Denisov and others, including Samuel Eto’o is largely to blame for the team’s current situation.

The sell is a big deal, as Anzhi is currently the most expensive club among Russia's champions - with the cost of players adding up to more than 205 million euros. The oligarch Kerimov became owner in 2011, having since spent upwards of 150 million on acquiring expensive players.

Russian sports media reported on Monday that Anzhi's budget may be cut by three times - to 50 million euros - with Sport Ekspres also reporting on Kerimov's recently deteriorating health condition, which could have prompted the owner to "avoid further stress" and take a different path.

The position of head coach of the Makhachkalian club will be filled by Gadji Gadjiev - currently at Krylya Sovetov - who already worked with the club in 1999-2001, 2003 and 2010-2011. A split with Denisov has practically been finalized, in addition to the departure of two other members of the Russian national team - Yuriy Zhirkov and Aleksandr Kokorin.

Kerimov has pointed out the leading players in his team, though, saying that they will all gain new positions worthy of their talents and continue receiving the pay stipulated in their contracts. As for the owner himself, he does not plan to abandon the team at this point.

So it looks like Porto and Shakhtar are both battling it out for Bernard for around £21.5m, which is the price he's apparently off for. Incidentally, a lot of Porto fans are seemingly consigned to Jackson Martinez leaving to a club within Europe too.

We are going to have to compete for these kind of players, really. Bernard would be a risk being from Brazil and being so slight, he might not adapt, but if he goes to Porto and fulfils his promise then we'll have no chance in hell to get him.

Edit: funnily enough, the Atletico president said "Tottenham bid £16m but withdrew, Arsenal told us they would bid but never did, so we are left with Shakhtar who have bid £21.5"

Arsenal, pathetic bunch of cunts.