You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Farrell is turning into a bit of a hate figure for me (ok that may be a bit harsh!). His scumbag mentality is not appropriately backed up by any sort of physical prowess ( eg. Cudemore, Hines, Quinlan etc.) or outstanding skill. His laughing and clapping today, belongs in another spherical cunts sport. This shit was evident in the 6 nations too when he followed through on every marked kick chase while screaming in players faces. He will get the Duncan McRae treatment in a regional game if he keeps this up.

Also lately he looks more and more like he may be turning into a Toby flood esque shrinking violet when the pressure comes on. And I'm not talking about his kicking but his actual play. Phillips was running the show when he was on the field, not Farrell, anyone think for a second either Johnny would take the back seat like that? All in all the fact that he is the only one who we can count on if Sexton goes down is frightening. Why on earth another 10/12 wasn't taken I have no idea seeing as we also only have one out and out 12. Madigan and Hook must be too radical and loose for Gatland's "Wales+" brand of rugby.

On the plus side it was a great win! Lydiate looked alot brighter than I expected which is good news for us keeping a proper 6 on the pitch.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also lately he looks more and more like he may be turning into a Toby flood esque shrinking violet when the pressure comes on. And I'm not talking about his kicking but his actual play. Phillips was running the show when he was on the field, not Farrell, anyone think for a second either Johnny would take the back seat like that? All in all the fact that he is the only one who we can count on if Sexton goes down is frightening. Why on earth another 10/12 wasn't taken I have no idea seeing as we also only have one out and out 12. Madigan and Hook must be too radical and loose for Gatland's "Wales+" brand of rugby.

On the plus side it was a great win! Lydiate looked alot brighter than I expected which is good news for us keeping a proper 6 on the pitch.

That's harsh on Flood isn't? I don't see him like that at all.

I must admit Philips really impressed me, after I had been critical of him recently.

Lydiate really penciled his name into starting XV and was my man of the match.

I don't really think it is... ok maybe a little! But I don't think that it's that far from the truth. I like the guy, he plays good rugby.It's the only reason he hasn't nailed the 10 shirt for England. If he was secure in the national side his kicking would improve I think but when the chips are down he rarely grabs the game by the scruff of the neck and says "I'm fucking having this!" which is a great pity.

I really enjoyed Phillips today he did what he does perfectly, as did his protege CM. all I was saying is that he better prepare for Johnny10 to wear the pants, something I feel Phillips hasn't had to deal with at national level for a while given their style.

As for Lydiate in the XV, let SOB have a crack before we (Gats) decide. But he was very good today thank god! All of the hype about Croft worries me a bit. As a back rower myself I feel all the talk about his pace and lineout prowess is clouding the fact that he is far less effective at his actual job that the other two. It works for him at club level due to the balance of the Leiscter back row but we should be picking the best 6,7,8 outright to put the squeeze on Australia seeing as we are playing this style.

God I need to Lear how to post shorter!

I don't think you can read anything into today's game. Conditions and opponents saw to that. The tours finally kicked off, a few players have got minutes under their belt in the red jersey.

They'll be much stiffer tests coming up against the Aussie provincial teams and a lot of positions to play for.

I don't really think it is... ok maybe a little! But I don't think that it's that far from the truth. I like the guy, he plays good rugby.It's the only reason he hasn't nailed the 10 shirt for England. If he was secure in the national side his kicking would improve I think but when the chips are down he rarely grabs the game by the scruff of the neck and says "I'm fucking having this!" which is a great pity.

I really enjoyed Phillips today he did what he does perfectly, as did his protege CM. all I was saying is that he better prepare for Johnny10 to wear the pants, something I feel Phillips hasn't had to deal with at national level for a while given their style.

As for Lydiate in the XV, let SOB have a crack before we (Gats) decide. But he was very good today thank god! All of the hype about Croft worries me a bit. As a back rower myself I feel all the talk about his pace and lineout prowess is clouding the fact that he is far less effective at his actual job that the other two. It works for him at club level due to the balance of the Leiscter back row but we should be picking the best 6,7,8 outright to put the squeeze on Australia seeing as we are playing this style.

God I need to Lear how to post shorter!

I think Flood did nailed down the number 10 role for England, he then got injured, Farrell did really well up until that Wales game in the Six Nations so he couldn't be dropped. I think he is very solid, his problem is he isn't flashy and he got injured so lost his place. If England had a match tomorrow, I bet he'd be selected over Farrell now.

I think Phillips will cope fine if JW comes in at number 10. Wilkinson has played under a dominant pack with his club side and he just puts the pack in the right areas of the field. I don't think he'll be demanding all of the ball or to run the show. He'll just be the one doing all the kicking, out of hands and given he is so good, that is right.

I'm a big fan of Croft and think he will do well on the hard ground. But I agree with you. I'd have him as a perfect sub for the last 20 minutes, as he can be an impact player when the tired legs are happening on the pitch. I think there are a few other impact players in the squad as well and it might be the difference in the end.

Only got to see the highlights last night, but it was a good workout for those on the pitch. Lydiate impressed, considering he's been out for much of the season. O'Connell and Wyn Jones are still the best lock pairing, but there were signs already at this early stage of players looking to cement a test place early.

Looking forward to Wednesday's match now.

Lions 2013: Jonny Sexton set to start against Western Force as Jonny Wilkinson hints at availability - Telegraph

I have to say this selection worries me a tiny bit, I mean it's a very high quality team but all very green in terms of calls moves and systems. And the opposition are not to be trifled with. There is a chance this could be a loss, I can't see it being even close to the level of the last game. That said this group players are just as likely to produce a serious display so who really knows! Not this rambling gobshite that's for sure.

In summation:

[YOUTUBE]JUCfX1P1ik[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Rapey Hugh
Video troubles

Lions 2013: Jonny Sexton set to start against Western Force as Jonny Wilkinson hints at availability - Telegraph

I have to say this selection worries me a tiny bit, I mean it's a very high quality team but all very green in terms of calls moves and systems. And the opposition are not to be trifled with. There is a chance this could be a loss, I can't see it being even close to the level of the last game. That said this group players are just as likely to produce a serious display so who really knows! Not this rambling gobshite that's for sure.

Western Force are shit. Should be no worries.

Western Force are shit. Should be no worries.

especially since they are resting some of their best players for a Super XI game.

Shame really as the Lions teams need some good tests before the Aus games.

Key decisions for full test squad imo look like Croft or Heaslip at 8 (sorry but I don't rate Faletau) centre partnership Roberts/Tuilagi & O'Driscoll/Davies + Cuthert v Bowe.

6 & 7 will be between Warburton, Lydiate & Tipuric. Given that the Aussies don't have a powerhouse pack like SA & NZ I'd be tempted to pick the faster and more mobile Croft ahead of Heaslip since pace & running is the strength of Australia. We absolutely need a proper 7 to compete with Hooper at the breakdown though

especially since they are resting some of their best players for a Super XI game.

Shame really as the Lions teams need some good tests before the Aus games.

Key decisions for full test squad imo look like Croft or Heaslip at 8 (sorry but I don't rate Faletau) centre partnership Roberts/Tuilagi & O'Driscoll/Davies + Cuthert v Bowe.

6 & 7 will be between Warburton, Lydiate & Tipuric. Given that the Aussies don't have a powerhouse pack like SA & NZ I'd be tempted to pick the faster and more mobile Croft ahead of Heaslip since pace & running is the strength of Australia. We absolutely need a proper 7 to compete with Hooper at the breakdown though

Is that right? What's the point when they are guaranteed to come bottom with nothing to play for?

I hope Tuilagi/O'Driscoll work well together as that would be my combo of choice in the centres.

Dunno why they don't have a look at Tipuric for 8. Can't leave the captain out of the test side but Tipuric is one of the most talented players in the squad. If not THE most talented. In the pack at least.

Don't think Tipuric, Warburton or Lydiate have ever played 8. Would be a huge gamble & imo a disgrace on a lions tour to play someone in a position they haven't played before

Don't think Tipuric, Warburton or Lydiate have ever played 8. Would be a huge gamble & imo a disgrace on a lions tour to play someone in a position they haven't played before

Aye can't argue with that. I do reckon Tipuric is too good to leave out, mind. Gives Gatland a bit of a problem, considering who he selected as captain.

Jesus just saw that Force squad, all fears thoroughly reduced! Pity though, one thing that ruins a tour is midweek rapings that don't test the squad.

Can't see any reason for Tipuric at 8. He's a damn good 7 no doubt but its not the same gig at all. The only player who could jump in at 8 at international level is SOB who plays there often for leinster.

Jesus just saw that Force squad, all fears thoroughly reduced! Pity though, one thing that ruins a tour is midweek rapings that don't test the squad.

Can't see any reason for Tipuric at 8. He's a damn good 7 no doubt but its not the same gig at all. The only player who could jump in at 8 at international level is SOB who plays there often for leinster.

Yeah, hopefully the Aussies haven't had a word. Still it's an embarrassment by Western Force. They are shit, they have a big chance to get pride and interest in the team up by having a real crack at the Lions and they put out a reserve team. The Irish provinces always used to take it as a matter of pride to try and knock off touring southern hemisphere teams. Proper rugby history that is.

They wont be taking that Super XI game seriously, as they're resting key players for a Super XV game. btw they just beat The Highlanders..who just rolled The Blues..who are in contention for the playoffs.

Assuming full fitness and form, I think the test flankers will be Warburton and Lydiate with Tipuric coming on to wreak havoc in the last 25 minutes when the game opens up a bit. But no real reason why you just couldn't play Warburton and Tipuric left and right or Warburton as blind-side.

Centre pairing will be Roberts and O'Driscoll and Heaslip at 8 , I reckon.

Aye can't argue with that. I do reckon Tipuric is too good to leave out, mind. Gives Gatland a bit of a problem, considering who he selected as captain.

This was always going to be the issue with whoever he selected as captain, as it almost guarantees them, barring injury, a test place. The back row selection for the tests is going to be mouth watering though, as the talent at Gatland's disposal is of an incredibly high standard, with so many different possibilities.

I can't see an English player getting in the starting XV at the moment. Tuilagi has the best chance, but I think Gatland will go with Roberts and BOD at centres using Tuilagi as an impact player.

Bryn Palmer ‏@BBCBrynPalmer 7m

Warren Gatland confirms Cian Healy has suspected ligament damage, but ankle not broken. Will know more in next 24-48 hrs after a scan #lions

Retweeted by BBC Sport