You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Jenkins picked ahead of Sheridan? He's been sat on Toulons bench all season as an understudy to AS + & its a big one, Sheridan has been the destroyer of the Aussie scrum on numerous occasions in the past.

Because he's Welsh!

One of the Welsh players I would have selected who hasn't been is Hook.

I may be a bit biased here but I cant actually envisage, be it me or Gatland picking, a single English player starting the tests as of right now. obviously after training camp they may show more quality but none really stand out i would even go with Roberts starting and Tuilagi as an impact sub along with Croft. Outside chance for Youngs but bar that sorry boys!

1/2p

Bowe North/Maitland

BOD Roberts

Sexton

Phillips

Heaslip/Faletau

Warburton SOB

AWJ POC

Jones Hibbard Healy

I may be a bit biased here but I cant actually envisage, be it me or Gatland picking, a single English player starting the tests as of right now. obviously after training camp they may show more quality but none really stand out i would even go with Roberts starting and Tuilagi as an impact sub along with Croft. Outside chance for Youngs but bar that sorry boys!

1/2p

Bowe North/Maitland

BOD Roberts

Sexton

Phillips

Heaslip/Faletau

Warburton SOB

AWJ POC

Jones Hibbard Healy

I'd say Tuilagi should be picked ahead of Roberts, and I reckon you've got a few more Irish in there than Gatland might pick. North is a shoe-in for example while Bowe is a possible. Healy's spot is probably up for grabs between a few props. But you're not far off. Could easily be no English in the first 15.

Probably fair though as England have really good depth, but not many absolute world class players.

How is Jenkins picked ahead of Sheridan? He's been sat on Toulons bench all season as an understudy to AS + & its a big one, Sheridan has been the destroyer of the Aussie scrum on numerous occasions in the past.

I like Richie Gray but he's not had a particularly good season for either club or country

Because Jenkins is playing international rugby and Sheridan isn't?

Guest LFD

1/2p

Bowe North/Maitland

BOD Roberts

Sexton

Phillips

Heaslip/Faletau

Warburton SOB

AWJ POC

Jones Hibbard Healy

Wouldn't surprise me.

I think Croft will really push hard for a Test place. He's really quick and a great runner as a flanker and on the hard ground in Australia he could be a real threat.

Tuilagi is far too special to only be an impact player IMO. He's the ace in the pack, in a back line that doesn't really excite me. I think he's the key player, if he can perform like he did vs New Zealand.

But agree with your point, I can't see many (if any). I personally don't rate Philips very highly and would have Youngs over him.

Guest LFD
I'd be really surprised if Croft got in the team. There's at least four flankers ahead of him in my mind.

I don't think he is favourite for a test place. He's done really well to come back from that injury he had (broken neck wasn't it?).

But he should suit the conditions out in Australia, at his best he is a Lions starter - he has proved that before. A few players will surprise on tour and get in that test team, it always happens. I think Croft is one to watch out for.

I think he has one of the best chances, out of the England players. But yeah, even he might not get in as Warburton is going to take one spot (barring injury). That means there will be heavily competition for that other spot and he's not the favourite.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the open training session at Carton House today to have a look. It was very enjoyable stuff to watch if not completely sanitised and for the cameras, there was no real goal to the session just loads of small drills but then again a huge number aren't even there yet. Just a few things I noticed from it:

Leigh Halfpenny sat it out with a pretty significant black strapping on his left leg.

Hogg practiced a lot of kicking, he's not great but he was the most exciting player in the tip warm up game. That said they weren't exactly setting the world on fire at tip!(there was also a rumour going around he was getting some time at 10 against the Ba Bas, but sounds a bit dubious)

Kick chase was practised a good bit with Murray delivering some pretty tasty box kicks.

Regardless of provincial bias, I swear if you had no idea who was the captain and watched that session you would go away assuming it was PO'C. He was very vocal, players seemed to always be around him and I spotted him twice alone having a word with Gatland (who is sound btw) Warburton was very quiet all session but looks a very good player up close.

After reading what SW and PO'C were saying the other day about the group being "quiet" it's fair to say that they seem a little bit dry, very sound, but dry. I have no doubt in my mind that once the others arrive that will change though as the Leinster boys, chiefly Healy and Heaslip are notorious for acting the maggot and I can't see the English lads being boring after the WC!!

The 6 Nations trophy was brought to our work last Friday, so I had my picture taken with it. It was quite heavy for such a little trophy as well. A great feeling to pick it up though.

The guy from the WRU that brought it round said that on the coach from the hotel to the ground before the match against England, the coaches had put together a motivational video for the players which was made up of the english players and press having a go at the Welsh team and their tactics.

The 6 Nations trophy was brought to our work last Friday, so I had my picture taken with it. It was quite heavy for such a little trophy as well. A great feeling to pick it up though.

The guy from the WRU that brought it round said that on the coach from the hotel to the ground before the match against England, the coaches had put together a motivational video for the players which was made up of the english players and press having a go at the Welsh team and their tactics.

Do you work in Flintshire?

Tefler is one of the hardest bastards around, definitely the stick to Geech's carrot. True legend.

Telfer is brilliant.

I can't find the clip I want of him talking to Wood from that 97 tour.

Telfer is getting Wood to visualise whats going to happen in the game.

Keith is saying it's three and a half minutes into the game, I've got a chance to smash my oppostion number and I'm not going to miss it. I'm going to get him.

The clip switches to the game.

Three and a half minutes in Wood fucking destroys his opposite number, he lifts him in the tackle but only through the ferociousness of it and drives him into the ground.