You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Assuming we were Arsenal fans...

Kevin D

Well, fam?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. ...

Sack. He isn't going to change, and if he doesn't they won't win anything.

Assuming we were Arsenal fans, would you be strongly calling for him to go/ how many years would you have wanted him out, or more of a it's probably best he goes, but don't really mind?

Won't win anything?

They've won the FA Cup a couple of times since the last time we won anything.

So what?

Being marginally less shit than us isn't a reason to want him to stay if you were an Arsenal fan.

He has no intention of fixing the lack of bottle in the squad. They're losers, like us.

Assuming we were Arsenal fans, would you be strongly calling for him to go/ how many years would you have wanted him out, or more of a it's probably best he goes, but don't really mind?

Maybe five years ago. Possibly longer than that. As soon as it became apparent that he had no intention of signing any centrebacks or central midfielders that would win a fight with a goldfish.

The fact that he's essentially been just collecting money for the club for about a decade would probably have not seen me angry, I'd just have lost all interest. Taken up gardening or something.

Listen fam, there's a lot of talk in the ends about getting rid of the manager but that's a mad ting fam. Bare mans be chatting booboo. They don't give a fuck fam. They're not from the ends fam. They don't know what all dis is about fam. Them mans be pagans. They vexed about everything, not just the football fam. I'm gassed about our manager fam. So gassed. You feel me? He's the right man for the job fam. Just have a little patience. He's gonna prove all you mandem wrong. Just have a zoot and chill out yeah? We in safe hands fam.

for real

Plenty of time for Arsenal fans.

Yes they maybe the epitome of new fan fuckwittery but they have never once lowered themselves to sing about Hillsborough or the city in general. And they've always been supportive of the justice campaign.

They were also superb with the Ray Kennedy tribute.

• Upvote 5

Listen fam, there's a lot of talk in the ends about getting rid of the manager but that's a mad ting fam. Bare mans be chatting booboo. They don't give a fuck fam. They're not from the ends fam. They don't know what all dis is about fam. Them mans be pagans. They vexed about everything, not just the football fam. I'm gassed about our manager fam. So gassed. You feel me? He's the right man for the job fam. Just have a little patience. He's gonna prove all you mandem wrong. Just have a zoot and chill out yeah? We in safe hands fam.

No blud.

Yes they maybe the epitome of new fan fuckwittery but they have never once lowered themselves to sing about Hillsborough or the city in general. And they've always been supportive of the justice campaign.

Agreed.

Can remember in 2001 when we won the FA Cup and both sets of fans mixed after the game without a hint of trouble. I would have been devastated if we had lost in that way but the fans I met were gracious in defeat and just had a laugh with us.

They aren't like Chelsea or any other Soccer AM chanting southern teams.

This question can only be answered if you are on the Arsenal board.

Arsene Wenger has kept Arsenal in the top 4 for decades, all while spending about the 5th or 6th most in the league.  That is actually amazing, it's a massive accomplishment and doesn't get talked of enough.  Sure, he's never won the league, but neither have we, and we've spent far more.  To not drop out of the CL places even once on the budget he's had is very impressive.

On the other hand, why aren't they spending more?  Is it because he doesn't want to?  Because spending the 6th-most money and finishing 3rd is excellent if that's all the board was willing to give you.  It's far less impressive if the board was willing to give you more money, with the expectation that you'd win the league once every 5 years or so, and you just didn't want to.

So without knowing the reason they've spent so little over the past decade or so, especially the last 5 years, it's hard to answer.  If it's Arsene that's counseled restraint, though the money is there - then sack him and get someone who will spend and win.  If it's the board that's told him "this is all there is, do your best with it" then he's doing an admirable job punching above his weight and I'd have him as long as he's willing to stay.

Arsenal are 20 years in on a project, have the financial infrastructure fully bedded in to compete with most clubs and seemingly refuse to get involved. It's a different situation to certain other clubs who are far earlier in the process so I can understand the frustration.

This question can only be answered if you are on the Arsenal board.

Arsene Wenger has kept Arsenal in the top 4 for decades, all while spending about the 5th or 6th most in the league.  That is actually amazing, it's a massive accomplishment and doesn't get talked of enough.  Sure, he's never won the league, but neither have we, and we've spent far more.  To not drop out of the CL places even once on the budget he's had is very impressive.

On the other hand, why aren't they spending more?  Is it because he doesn't want to?  Because spending the 6th-most money and finishing 3rd is excellent if that's all the board was willing to give you.  It's far less impressive if the board was willing to give you more money, with the expectation that you'd win the league once every 5 years or so, and you just didn't want to.

So without knowing the reason they've spent so little over the past decade or so, especially the last 5 years, it's hard to answer.  If it's Arsene that's counseled restraint, though the money is there - then sack him and get someone who will spend and win.  If it's the board that's told him "this is all there is, do your best with it" then he's doing an admirable job punching above his weight and I'd have him as long as he's willing to stay.

Err, Wenger has won the Premiership 3 times. It's been a while since they last won it so can't blame you for not remembering...

• Upvote 1