You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Norwich City Away Match Thread

FrenchEyeGlass

I suspect it will be Gerrard in the deeper role, because that's how he's trying to adjust his game as he gets less physically sharp with age, and I don't believe Rodgers disagrees. Encouragingly, there have been recent signs that he's getting much more used to the role and having more of an impact on the game as a consequence. It's not about never attacking or going forward either, more about picking his moments.

The issue I have with that is that IMO Gerrard has never been the most defensively sound tactically. I remember back when they were calling him the new Viera/Keane the next great defensive midfielder in the Prem and he played alongside Hamann. We always looked shaky defensively when Didi wasn't there. Granted Gerrard is a much more experienced player now, but I just don't think that tactical positional disciplined play is really in his makeup. He's an attacking player who plays with defensive intensity.

If he's got another defensive mid next to him that's fine, but if he's the defensive anchor in midfield I think there will be issues.

Too true, we should calm it down a bit.

But if that team is true, can you see us losing with Allen protecting a strong looking back 4 with Sahin,Gerrard, Suso & Sterling assisting Suarez? 0-4.

attack, attack, attack.

Yeah, I can. I can see us beating them comfortably too, though.

My point is, it really depends what Liverpool team turns up. And how Norwich play. I can imagine they'll be up for it today.

"We win 4-0 - Borini 2, Suarez, Carroll

I shout ole close to 467 times at the top of my lungs and crush 11 lagers, then fall asleep on the couch, wake up two hours later and eat 3 lbs of bbq."

This was my post from the WBA away match - some of this stuff happened.

Today I am just going to change it to - Suarez 2, Suso, Gerrard - everything else stays.

With a player whose legs are slowing down, you have a choice of using him a lot less like Scholes or changing his role like Barnes. I think Gerrard does have it in his locker to learn new tricks. It's too early to say yet whether the experiment will work, but the early signs are encouraging, and we have younger players coming through like Shelvey, Suso, and even Allen, with the energy to play further forward.

Edited by zigackly

It seems to me that the player who needs to run the least is the one in the hole, number 10, however you want to describe it. Litmanen did that forever, close to his 40s. And I think it is where Gerrard is the most efficient of all our players.

If you are comparing Gerrard's game with Jari's then you are way off base. Gerrard's effectiveness in an attacking sense has always come from explosive pace, a hard shot, having the stamina to cover most of the pitch, and an ability to grab the game by the scruff. He can't do that into his late thirties, so he has to change even if he were to stay in the attacking role Benitez invented for him.

Yeah, I can. I can see us beating them comfortably too, though.

My point is, it really depends what Liverpool team turns up. And how Norwich play. I can imagine they'll be up for it today.

So let me get this straight. You reckon the result depends on whichever team plays better?

I dunno if I can comprehend that. Mindblowing.

So let me get this straight. You reckon the result depends on whichever team plays better?

I dunno if I can comprehend that. Mindblowing.

No need to be a dick, you know what I mean. Against City and the mancs we were aggressive, clever and deserved the win. The same players played against Arsenal and West Brom and were laboured, unimaginative and downright shit.

I worry that we will take this game as a given.

Interesting on the BBC Website although this might be old news as I'm not in the UK at the moment.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers sends his side out in search of a first Premier League win of the season when they play Norwich today. In the build-up to the match he has sent out an unequivocal message to winger Stewart Downing.

"He [Downing] has a wonderful left foot but what is important is that it is more than talent. Talent alone is not enough. You have to work hard, you have to fight for the shirt. We have seen that in a number of the young players and if you don't do that then longer-term you won't be here. It is as simple as that really."

Left-back Jose Enrique is in the same boat as Downing, as Rodgers adds: "I don't waste my time waiting until January to tell both players what I know now.

Interesting on the BBC Website although this might be old news as I'm not in the UK at the moment.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers sends his side out in search of a first Premier League win of the season when they play Norwich today. In the build-up to the match he has sent out an unequivocal message to winger Stewart Downing.

"He [Downing] has a wonderful left foot but what is important is that it is more than talent. Talent alone is not enough. You have to work hard, you have to fight for the shirt. We have seen that in a number of the young players and if you don't do that then longer-term you won't be here. It is as simple as that really."

Left-back Jose Enrique is in the same boat as Downing, as Rodgers adds: "I don't waste my time waiting until January to tell both players what I know now.

It's in quite a few of the papers. The mirror puts it in context Norwich v Liverpool preview: Brendan Rodgers still after a top four finish despite poor start; Hughton wants the goals Norwich deserve - Mirror Online