You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

St. Georges Park

lifetime fan

Watched a piece about this on Football Focus lunch time.

I'm no fan of the FA but it does look like they've absolutely nailed this. The facilities are outstanding and St. Georges Park will be available for every single age group through to the national team for both mens and womens football.

If only they could sort the coaching...

The FA | St-Georges-Park

Watched a piece about this on Football Focus lunch time.

I'm no fan of the FA but it does look like they've absolutely nailed this. The facilities are outstanding and St. Georges Park will be available for every single age group through to the national team for both mens and womens football.

If only they could sort the coaching...

The FA | St-Georges-Park

Impressive.

But it's a bit like building the world's finest football stadium and forgetting about the football pitch.

Hodgson in charge of coaching will almost guarantee that it will be a white elephant in five years.

Anything which isn't in London is a step forwards.

Hodgson is not in charge of it.

Thr FA for once, has got it right, superb facilities, accessible in the middle of the country, and a catalyst to grow the coaching spirit in thos country.

Well done to all- but particularly David Sheepshanks who has driven this.

Anything which isn't in London is a step forwards.

Hodgson is not in charge of it.

Thr FA for once, has got it right, superb facilities, accessible in the middle of the country, and a catalyst to grow the coaching spirit in thos country.

Well done to all- but particularly David Sheepshanks who has driven this.

No but he has a major, major input into how coaching in this country will be developed. It was one of the criteria that led him to be named England manager in the first place.

I'm sure it's a positive thing, but how much time will players actually spend there? The vast majority of a player's time will be spent at his club.

Is it basically just somewhere to train when England teams meet up for internationals? That's hardly revolutionary. The revolution for England needs to be the coaching and adopting some form of style of play that works in the modern game. England get embarrassed every tournament performance wise because they have no true way of playing and aren't comfortable on the ball.

No but he has a major, major input into how coaching in this country will be developed. It was one of the criteria that led him to be named England manager in the first place.

This is simply not true.

Hodgson is in charge of the full England side, no more, no less. Typically he gets the squad for a few days before a game, and then they go straight home.

The technical Director's job is currently up for grabs.

I'm sure it's a positive thing, but how much time will players actually spend there? The vast majority of a player's time will be spent at his club.

Is it basically just somewhere to train when England teams meet up for internationals? That's hardly revolutionary. The revolution for England needs to be the coaching and adopting some form of style of play that works in the modern game. England get embarrassed every tournament performance wise because they have no true way of playing and aren't comfortable on the ball.

This gives you a little more detail:

FA's £120million St George's Park provides perfect setting for English football to open a new chapter - Telegraph

The FA | St-Georges-Park

It is easy to sneer, but the FA have done something positive. I don’t think that the impact on the current England set up will be that great, nor is it intended to be. Job done. The players are what they are now.

The aim is to create a centre of coaching excellence for future generations of coaches, and coaching, something which is long overdue.

This is simply not true.

Hodgson is in charge of the full England side, no more, no less. Typically he gets the squad for a few days before a game, and then they go straight home.

The technical Director's job is currently up for grabs.

This gives you a little more detail:

FA's £120million St George's Park provides perfect setting for English football to open a new chapter - Telegraph

The FA | St-Georges-Park

It is easy to sneer, but the FA have done something positive. I don’t think that the impact on the current England set up will be that great, nor is it intended to be. Job done. The players are what they are now.

The aim is to create a centre of coaching excellence for future generations of coaches, and coaching, something which is long overdue.

Yes actually it is.

It was his willingness to relocate and work in St Georges park that secured him the job.

You would have a point if it was Harry Redknapp but it isn't so you don't.

I reckon its hard for some to accept.

But it seems fairly simple to me, especially when I see lads like Henderson, Downing, Carroll etc...

Not bad athletes, not bad technically as players, without doubt ability in there.

But unfortunately those 3 and many others are dumb as rocks on a pitch. Not saying they are stupid people, but when they get on a pitch they often seem completely and utterly fucking devoid of decision making intelligence when the pressure is on.

But we've seen them in less high pressure situations look a lot better. All 3 of the above I've mentioned have shown they can play football in the past for run of the mill mid table teams. But they shit themselves when they have to think, be it for Liverpool or England.

Its the Elephant in the room that needs addressing. Many English players have some seriously shit mentalities. If I'm being honest I'd put much if it at most of them thinking they've made it once they get their big money move or make it to the national team. But

thats only conjecture on my part.

No doubt people will argue there are many grassroot problems, and English players don't get the same football education that other nations give their own. But I think those things won't make a flying fucking difference until the mentalities change somehow.

You can have as many facilities as you like, but until the coaching of players at a young age is addressed then by the time they actually enter St Georges Park it will all be irrelevant anyway.

We teach children to win before we teach them to play.

Sort that out then St Georges Park may be of some use.

There was a good piece by King Kenny in yesterday's mirror talking about young players and he advocates them spending more time at their clubs because international coaches undo some of the club coaches work by telling the players to do things differently.

He cites the NextGen series as a big help to developing youngsters.

Yes actually it is.

It was his willingness to relocate and work in St Georges park that secured him the job.

You would have a point if it was Harry Redknapp but it isn't so you don't.

Having laid out the facts, I can do no more than that.

He is just in charge of the first team- fact.

He lives in Sutton Coldfield as West Brom manager, Burton is about a 20 minute drive from Sutton, he didn't have to relocate. Fact.

Opinions are fine, but when you won't accept facts there is no point in further debate with you.

You can have as many facilities as you like, but until the coaching of players at a young age is addressed then by the time they actually enter St Georges Park it will all be irrelevant anyway.We teach children to win before we teach them to play.Sort that out then St Georges Park may be of some use.

SGP is the largest coaching centre in the country. It will also be the national hub for training coaches.

It's role is to act as a beacon centre fot training coaches from schoolboy level upwards.As previoulsy discussed it's impact on coaching at the first team level for the current crop is minimal.

It will be doing pretty much exactly what you call for.

It's a shame it didn't open ten years ago, as planned, I worked on the original which was half completed prior to Adam Croziers departure from the FA. At that point it was the only project the FA had ever run to budget and on time. Then they shelved it and grassed over the pitches etc. at a cost of £6M, which seems to have been forgotten about. Fucking place was taken over by pikeys for years also.

It's a shame it didn't open ten years ago' date=' as planned, I worked on the original which was half completed prior to Adam Croziers departure from the FA. At that point it was the only project the FA had ever run to budget and on time. Then they shelved it and grassed over the pitches etc. at a cost of £6M, which seems to have been forgotten about. Fucking place was taken over by pikeys for years also.[/quote']

images-8.jpg

Gets everywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been on SSN all day as it officially opens tomorrow.

The footage shows all the facilities, has Gary Neville saying they are the best he's ever seen in the world but it's all about the quality of the coaching.

They then show Howard Wilkinson and Tony Pulis there.

What is the fucking point.

This has been on SSN all day as it officially opens tomorrow.

The footage shows all the facilities, has Gary Neville saying they are the best he's ever seen in the world but it's all about the quality of the coaching.

They then show Howard Wilkinson and Tony Pulis there.

What is the fucking point.

There is no point.

It's doomed to failure.

In a pro sport crippled by the short term this is a project that bucks the trend. Magnificent facilities, a commitment to boost the number of qulaified coached by 800, and a coaching ethos committed to adopt, adapt and improve from the best of the rest of the world.

For once the FA and football are investing in something worthwhile.

He isn't at he head of it.

But he is. He manages the national team. This whole project has been set up because the national team hasn't won a scrap for almost 50years and look as far away from doing so now as any time since 66. What's the point of training world class players through youth level if by the time they make the grade and reach the full squad they're going to be asked to sit deep with two banks of 4 and hit the big man up top? I recognise that this as a long term facility could be a great investment in English football far beyond Hodgson's tenure but at this time and maybe for the next few years players will be trained and schooled in an attractive brand of expansive modern football which is totally at odds with what they'll be asked to play once they reach the pinnacle.

The technical Director's job is currently up for grabs

you going for it xerx?

Pointless having the best facilities in the world if the mentality stays the same. With dinosaurs like Hodgson in charge of the first team that mentality will never change.