You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Which just about sums up the difference in the default mindset of the average Brit/American really

If someone could tell me what, as a person living outside of London, and having very little interest in Olympic sports, should I be excited about?

I really can't see it. And I can't see the (potential) £9bn that has been spent on this improving British life for anyone outside of East London - and I say 'spent', not invested, as previous hosts Beijing and Athens were left with numerous Olympic white elephants.

Some light reading:

Athens 2004 Olympics: what happened after the athletes went home? | Sport | The Guardian

How To Fill An Empty Bird's Nest: Beijing's Olympic Woes : NPR

Why not? What's going to happen?

What's going to happen that our own security can't deal with? You can guarantee that those gentlemen are not under our direction, and that their security systems will not have been provided gratis. So, you'd have to be happy with covertly armed Americans and Israelis, not under our security jurisdiction, on our streets, at our cost. Would they allow that? would they fuck.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What? Some british armed police are going to mistake a Brazilian national for a middle eastern terrorist and shoot him? Shit, this needs a stop putting to it immediately!

I think there's a risk with letting security personnel carry weapons. Don't like it, don't want it, they should all fuck the fuck off. I can see how this sounds irrational.

What's going to happen that our own security can't deal with? You can guarantee that those gentlemen are not under our direction, and that their security systems will not have been provided gratis. So, you'd have to be happy with covertly armed Americans and Israelis, not under our security jurisdiction, on our streets, at our cost. Would they allow that? would they fuck.

Jesus.

Do you work for Panorama? That's the kind of line they've been taking on the Olympics for months. "It's all going to be a disaster! It's all gone wrong! Panic stations!"

If someone could tell me what, as a person living outside of London, and having very little interest in Olympic sports, should I be excited about?

I really can't see it. And I can't see the (potential) £9bn that has been spent on this improving British life for anyone outside of East London - and I say 'spent', not invested, as previous hosts Beijing and Athens were left with numerous Olympic white elephants.

Some light reading:

Athens 2004 Olympics: what happened after the athletes went home? | Sport | The Guardian

My comment was a general one, not Olympic specific.

If you're not interested in Olympic sports then you're probably unlikely to be enthused by the Games although the numbers who have turned out around the country just to see the Olympic flame flash by might suggest that a lot of people feel otherwise.

As I have said in previous posts it is hard to justify the amount of money that has been spent on the Games at a time of cutbacks in almost every other area of public expenditure but it is here and I'm going to enjoy it

Watched some of the womens' f******l last night. Christ knows why, it was awful. That Lloyd woman who plays for the States is quite fit though.

As this is not a f******l thread, I won't talk about the matches. However, I will point out that it is USA's Alex Morgan that is fit as fuck. Just type her name into Google to see what I mean. She's also did a photoshoot for Sports Illustrated wearing nothing but body paint. Whadda gal!

As this is not a f******l thread, I won't talk about the matches. However, I will point out that it is USA's Alex Morgan that is fit as fuck. Just type her name into Google to see what I mean. She's also did a photoshoot for Sports Illustrated wearing nothing but body paint. Whadda gal!

no pic? fine... i'll do it for you to save you from a negging.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqYebS9c_25bW3pFccM_WDK1pkB7rMsprbjkEcu9XWNOFKGUgL&t=1

she looks really american though. and has no tits.

Some light reading:

Pretty much what I think regarding the costs and 'investment' to anywhere outside London.

I normally love the Olympics but have been constantly angered by that bell-end Boris and Sebastian Knobhead Coe talking shit. Olympics is great but not in this country.

The trouble with focussing upon Beijing and Athens is that these were designed around sustainability, so what has happend to those parks is irrelevant. The Basketball arena is temporary, the Olympic stadium will be reduced in size (the top tier will be removed) to make it more practical for future, the Velodrome is clearly going to be popular for the next few years and the same goes for the swimming venue.

The village will be turned into flats and commerical property. I think it is great, it will be the only time in our lifetime that we will get anything like this. It won't happen again.

I think it is great, it will be the only time in our lifetime that we will get anything like this. It won't happen again.

This.

I was telling my 13year old daughter (no apparent interest in sport) that the Opening Ceremony coverage is on from 7 til midnight. Her response...'I'm going to watch all of it because its an iconic moment in history and it hasnt been in this country for nearly a 100 years.'

God love her

I love the Olympics but hate all this hype just because London is the host. Wall to wall news coverage but hardly any mention about sport.

Just a few hours to go now. Have you seen the number of BBC HD Olympic channels?