You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Have a rant thread

Sugar Ape

Bad sanitation, little shelter, sunburn, sweat, a mixture of students, hipsters, people having a midlife crisis and people who've had a long term relationship recently end and have decided to 'get out' (Facebook pics agogo), and Carling tents. Horrendous scenes. The whole place needs to be charged and civilised by the United States cavalry.

• Upvote 2

Last January I had a dilemma. Did a car insurance comparison and Kwik-Fit came out as the best value option. Not the very cheapest, but the cheapest from someone I'd heard of. I went with them.

This January, 2014, my renewal came through and it was a bit much. They'd charged me for breakdown cover which was free in the 1st year - but without it the quote was competitive. I called them up, cancelled the breakdown and renewed the policy.

Last week I got a fine for having no insurance. Thinking this was a simple administrative error I called Kwik-Fit to make sure I did have cover only to be told I'd cancelled it in Jan. I was sure I hadn't so asked them to listen to the call and confirm either way what had happened. Spoke to them today and they told me that I DID renew the policy. So unbeknownst to me, I've been driving for 5 months without insurance because some little fucktard in the call centre didn't action the renewal after my call. And now I've got a fine.

Well I'll obviously be getting the money for the fine back... but I was wondering, good people of the GF, what else can I claim here??? I've been fucking fortunate to not have an accident in those 5 months, and to also not have been pulled over by the police who would have fucking mullered me. So I figure there must be something in it for me!

Last January I had a dilemma. Did a car insurance comparison and Kwik-Fit came out as the best value option. Not the very cheapest, but the cheapest from someone I'd heard of. I went with them.

This January, 2014, my renewal came through and it was a bit much. They'd charged me for breakdown cover which was free in the 1st year - but without it the quote was competitive. I called them up, cancelled the breakdown and renewed the policy.

Last week I got a fine for having no insurance. Thinking this was a simple administrative error I called Kwik-Fit to make sure I did have cover only to be told I'd cancelled it in Jan. I was sure I hadn't so asked them to listen to the call and confirm either way what had happened. Spoke to them today and they told me that I DID renew the policy. So unbeknownst to me, I've been driving for 5 months without insurance because some little fucktard in the call centre didn't action the renewal after my call. And now I've got a fine.

Well I'll obviously be getting the money for the fine back... but I was wondering, good people of the GF, what else can I claim here??? I've been fucking fortunate to not have an accident in those 5 months, and to also not have been pulled over by the police who would have fucking mullered me. So I figure there must be something in it for me!

Did they continue to take money off you?

I paid in full, using the card details from the previous year. Or, at least that's what I thought had happened. Was supposed to come out of the joint account and I rarely look in there. They didn't take the money - which is probably going to be their defence, but they didn't send a cancellation letter or email either.

Did the police issue you with an IN10 and 3 points on your licence?

If you called the insurance company to renew the policy but cancel the breakdown cover, then the onus is on them to make sure the payment details they hold are up to date to take money for the premium, and contact you in writing if they've not managed to take payment after renewing the policy because the payment details were out of date. The person you spoke to at the very least should have done all that. For some reason, they actioned your policy to be cancelled rather than just the breakdown cover so they are definitely in error. You should have received written confirmation of this. As has been asked already, did you ever receive a certificate of insurance from them?

Fortunately (I think), I only realised the balls-up because I received a fine from AskMid which I assume came because the car is taxed and MOT'd but there is no record of insurance. I wasn't stopped by the police and as far as I'm aware I haven't been given any points. I wonder if they might come through after I accept the fine.

I didn't receive a certificate, but it's all online and you go and pick them up if you need them so the penny just didn't drop with me that I hadn't received an email to say I can get them. I appreciate that I should have been more vigilant, but when you're told "thanks a lot for renewing, payment will be taken using the existing details" you (me) assume that's sorted and the job is ticked off the list.

I just find the whole concept of music festivals utterly horrific. I just want my own room in an old people's home in Helsby and settle down to an evening in front of the television with a cup of tea and a Kit Kat.

Sec 31 officially competing with lifetime fan for the oldest old man of the forum title.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

Depends on what kind of "bar steward" you are....

Personally i'd draw a line under it and learn from it....

Keep persuing it and you'll end up with nothing...or a drink tops but the poor unfortunate that made an error may lose his/her job......and personally i couldn't be living with that as we all make mistakes!!!!! Am a firm beleiver of good rewards good etc.........!!

(stands back and expects abuse!)

Haha! I thought it was only women who think like that

No I'm really funny about bogs these days. I've a touch of mild IBS so I have a Sherlock style knowledge of all the cleanest and least busy toilets in town, or in fact anywhere I am. I'm not an 'only in my own bog' level weirdo but I do have toilet roll on my person at all times in one pocket or other. . My bird flips if I forget to take it out and ruin a dark wash

Did they continue to take money off you?

Did the police issue you with an IN10 and 3 points on your licence?

If you called the insurance company to renew the policy but cancel the breakdown cover, then the onus is on them to make sure the payment details they hold are up to date to take money for the premium, and contact you in writing if they've not managed to take payment after renewing the policy because the payment details were out of date. The person you spoke to at the very least should have done all that. For some reason, they actioned your policy to be cancelled rather than just the breakdown cover so they are definitely in error. You should have received written confirmation of this. As has been asked already, did you ever receive a certificate of insurance from them?

They just called back and have accepted full responsibility, which is good. Will be hearing from Customer Relations later on. They've already said they'l pay the fine, I going to see if they'll pay my insurance for this year too. 

Turns out it was a system error. The guys I spoke to put everything through as he should have, but something went awry.

They just called back and have accepted full responsibility, which is good. Will be hearing from Customer Relations later on. They've already said they'l pay the fine, I'm going to see if they'll pay my insurancefor this year too.

Turns out it was a system error. The guys I spoke to put everything through as he should have, but something went awry.

But why? They've agreed to put everything right now so you havent lost out and, tough as it sounds, the responsibility lies with you to make sure you have insurance in place

No I'm really funny about bogs these days. I've a touch of mild IBS so I have a Sherlock style knowledge of all the cleanest and least busy toilets in town, or in fact anywhere I am. I'm not an 'only in my own bog' level weirdo but I do have toilet roll on my person at all times in one pocket or other. . My bird flips if I forget to take it out and ruin a dark wash

Good fun, isn't it?

But why? They've agreed to put everything right now so you havent lost out and, tough as it sounds, the responsibility lies with you to make sure you have insurance in place

I did make sure I had insurance. I just didn't check whether they'd taken the money or not.

It's only by luck that I haven't had an accident, had the car stolen/broken into or been pulled over this last 5 months, and there's still a very good chance I'm going to have to go to court to make sure I don't get 6 points and up to a £5000 fine for it. Can't remember the last time an insurance company did me a favour, in fact they usually try to rip everybody off.

I did make sure I had insurance. I just didn't check whether they'd taken the money or not.

It's only by luck that I haven't had an accident, had the car stolen/broken into or been pulled over this last 5 months, and there's still a very good chance I'm going to have to go to court to make sure I don't get 6 points and up to a £5000 fine for it. Can't remember the last time an insurance company did me a favour, in fact they usually try to rip everybody off.

How about waiting to find out if that is the case?

Moist toilet tissue is the way to go.

Moist toilet tissue is the way to go.

Toilet 'tissue'. The written equivalent of nails down a blackboard. And thats before I start on men wittering about their minor ailments *heads to Opposite Deal Breakers thread*