You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nextgen vs Spurs tonight

Guest LFD

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable that we've lost that, we could easily have scored 4. Ah well, lessons learned, must take our chances when we're on top.

Sterling was excellent, not seen him play like that for ages, a couple of times he could have played a better final ball though. Ngoo was a handful up front, if he had his shooting boots on tonight we'd have won at a canter.

We need to get some of these lads around the football league for a month or two now. They need some games under their belts.

Torquay just sold one of their three centre backs, give them Sama for a bit. Record of giving young players a shot and they like to retain the ball from defence.

Disappointing and undeserved result. Liverpool missed a hatful of chances. Spurs scored from pretty much their only chance of the second half. Spurs' goalkeeper did what opposition goalkeepers have done against Liverpool all season. I think Morgan even scraped the woodwork at the end there. So, a bit like watching the first team then.

Sterling was outstanding and looked like a player who can take the next step.

The referee was shit, so I was surprised Liverpool finished with 11 men. He was extremely generous to Spurs on a couple of occasions. On one particular occasion, he played the advantage when a Spurs player was fouled, then almost 10 seconds later he pulled play back for a free kick after another Spurs player had lost possession through his own fuck-up. Then near the end, he signalled a throw-in Liverpool's way, then inexplicably allowed play to continue, by which time Adorjan held his opponent's shirt, thus giving away a free kick and getting a yellow card. Ridiculous stuff. David Fairclough in commentary usually tries to be unbiased when giving his opinions, but even he was notable in thinking the ref was out of his depth.

Feel really sorry for the lads today. I think they produced a good performance and did not deserve to loose at all. Just hope they can build on this form in the reserve league now. Sterling had a great game. I hope King Kenny noticed that and that he'll give him some chances for the first team before the season ends. The ref was abysmal by the way, worst I've seen at any level for quite a while.

Only Sterling has any chance of making it with us and he is a long way from it.

You can never say, often it comes down to luck normally involving major injurys in the first team squad, then taking your chance. I do agree with the general consensus that we really need to get a lot of players out on loan at the right clubs to really see their level.

0-1. But who cares. Individually our attacking players run rings around theirs. I am more concerned about Conor Coady to be honest. Has he developed at all? As a DM, he hasn't shown much ability to control or to impose himself on a game.

Great attitude but he never seems to dominate midfield against any decent sides.

Only Sterling has any chance of making it with us and he is a long way from it.

Could he do any worse than Downing? He'd at least be positive and run at opposition players.

I'd like to see him get 10 minutes at the end of a match if we are winning. See how he gets on alongside better players.

Great attitude but he never seems to dominate midfield against any decent sides.

True I do think he'd need a partner in there, or maybe play him a bit further up. But that's exactly what he needs to experience NOW, so he can work on his game and cover the required ground.

Could he do any worse than Downing? He'd at least be positive and run at opposition players.

I'd like to see him get 10 minutes at the end of a match if we are winning. See how he gets on alongside better players.

Let us not get ahead of ourselves LFD. We are using entirely different comparables for Downing every game.

Sterling is brilliant, the best thing we have by a mile. We need to give the right guidance to make him a top player. I'm sure Kenny and Clarke are aware of this. The right time for him will be decided by Kenny and Clarke-they are more knowledgeable than us.

Sterling needs to bulk a bit a get a little bit stronger for 1st team football. If you look at Chamberlain, the kid is as strong as any one when he is out on the pitch. Sterling is actually very similar to chamberlain if not better when 1 on 1.

True I do think he'd need a partner in there, or maybe play him a bit further up. But that's exactly what he needs to experience NOW, so he can work on his game and cover the required ground.

Coady always looks solid to me, but not star quality. You could have said the same about Spearing in the reserves.

The reserves play 4-2-3-1 and Coady is always stuck alongside an average player in the two (Roberts/Rodden) so it's difficult for him against some of these teams who have two or three good players in the middle. Maybe playing alongside this Texiera will help him.

Or maybe he's ready to go out on loan.

Sterling needs to bulk a bit a get a little bit stronger for 1st team football. If you look at Chamberlain, the kid is as strong as any one when he is out on the pitch. Sterling is actually very similar to chamberlain if not better when 1 on 1.

Silva is hardly bulky he is the best player in the league. Owen was tiny when he burst on the scene, but due to his pace and skill was a match winner.

He is a tough little bugger for someone so small. I wouldn't play him regularly but I would give him 10 minutes here or there to see how he got on.

I'm sure Kenny and Clarke are aware of this. The right time for him will be decided by Kenny and Clarke-they are more knowledgeable than us.

I'm sure they know what they are doing as well.

Silva is hardly bulky he is the best player in the league. Owen was tiny when he burst on the scene, but due to his pace and skill was a match winner.

He is a tough little bugger for someone so small. I wouldn't play him regularly but I would give him 10 minutes here or there to see how he got on.

This is true, but to be fair Silva is a lot more mellow with the ball than the average player, Sterling on the other hand is always taking players on and running with the ball which in the EPL will mean he will get kicked. A lot.

Went to the game tonight. The lads certainly didn't deserve to loose.

Seems that the young ones have the same problem as the 1st team... finishing.

Gutted for the lads they are out of the comp.

Some points about the game in no particular order while I have them in my head.

- The ref was shit. Not consistent at all on the niggly fouls. One time it was blatantly a Spurs throw and the lino flagged as such but the ref over ruled. errr. Thought you had to be sure to make a decision.

- Sterling's (LW) yellow could have been a red, I thought he got the ball but was reckless. Not sure how the ref had a good angle on it though. And again was inconsistent when similar challenges went in.

- Ngoo (ST) has got magnetic feet. So much so he can't get the ball out of them to get his shot off!

- Coady (LCM) has an experienced head on him. Not too flashy but reads the game and gets involved when needed. Breaks it up and keeps it simple and knows where his team mates are.

- Flano (LB) had a bad game IMO. For one of the more senior lads on the pitch he could have influenced the game more. Was beaten easily late in the 1st which could have lead to a goal. Other than that did his defensive work well.

- Raheem worked hard defensively with Flano too. Always looking for the ball. But seems to want to beat people rather than get a delivery in.

- Silva (RW) is similar in that he'd rather take on a man than delivery.

- Morgan came on and was lively and could have won it.

- Adjoran came on. Only remember him being involved in one attacking phase of play and did well.

- Both subs did well to help increase the pressure in Spurs' last 3rd.

- Suso (AM) was good in the 1st half but despite still working hard to get the ball back wasn't as involved in the 2nd half. Showed good awareness of his teammates at all times, good range of passing and footwork and a good attitude. Was also challenging for high balls with relish. Had the freedom to roam could have lead to tiredness. Needs stamina

- Roddan (RCM) has a great 1st touch. Prob the best on show tonight. Had a good partnership with Coady and they bossed the midfield for all but a short spell in the 1st half.

- McLaughlan (RB) had a tough time against their goal scorer Shaquile (who looked lively)

- Sama and Wisdom (CBs) looked dominant in defence but in the 2nd there seemed to be gaps which through balls could exploit and almost did a couple of times.

Of all the players on show I think Coady is closest to the 1st team mainly due to attitude, positioning and distribution. However, I think only Roddan had a good enough touch consistantly to make the 1st team.

Bit disappointed with Flano. Got the feeling maybe he didn't want to be there. But thats only supposition.

The other thing I'm thinking is that is was quite a Rafa-esque system with the 2 sitting CM in Coady and Roddan. And Kenny's seems to prefer the one terrier like DM like Lucas or Spearing. So not sure that if Coady makes the step up what his role will be in the team. Don't think he's as mobile as Hendo or has the passing range of Adam. But that's only my opinion based on a mostly what I saw today.

Hope I've not upset anyone with anything I've written. Just wanted to write up my thoughts while I still remember them.

Was a pleasure to see the young ones live and see if Raheem and Suso live up to the hype. I hope they both develop quickly along with Silva as all three seem like players we could do with in our squad. Raheem and Silva as quick man beating wingers and Suso as a behind the striker Cesc type player who works hard to win the ball back and always makes himself available.

No way deserved to loose that game and everyone worked hard and should be proud. If only magnet feet could have put one of those early chances away. Oh well.

Walk on...

Edited by OOTer