You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa

woodylfc

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Rafa could attract big stars to the club. The down side was big wages. We cannot overlook that. As long as we had CL football, big wage bill was sustainable. Rafa got us to finals and semi finals which meant good money. So he had every right to spend what he did.

We're getting more money in now than we had back in 2005, 06, 07. We've got far, far, far less debt, too. The money available to us is much greater, especially with our new sponsorship deal coming into place. We should be spending out on wages to get the best players. They've already said that spending big wages isn't the problem, it's spending big wages on shit players.

Your outlook will put us permanently in mid-table or worse.

It all just seems very obvious to me, buy on the continent. There's a few reasons many British players don't play abroad, and quality is one of them, so why spend so much time money and effort with singing the likes of Downing, Carroll and Henderson, when you could have a Mata, or a Vidal, or a Klose? For not much more, and in most cases, a good deal cheaper. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

At the moment i would agree with that, English players are generally overpriced and lack the ability and football intelligence.

We need to be buying the best players we can doesn't matter where there from.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I agree. Got to give him more time but it makes me want to cry thinking what could have been with the 1st real massive cash injection into the club if it was spent wisely. It's almost like the diouf transfer window.

We're coming out of a very unstable period for the club, so Kenny and the team need the time and money to sort it out. Rafa had to deal with that period, and then still be judged on his managerial ability. We've had a terrible transfer window. Pony up the cash and let's go again. If it still doesn't work, thing'll have to change. We shouldn't be even contemplating any change of manager right now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Yes, let's go back 2 years to the happy days of being twatted by Pompey. Fucking hell, you guys are lemmings, without their memory banks.

Yeah, that's Rafa's legacy. I wish I could be a free-thinker like you.

Seriously fuck sake can people drop the venom, can people drop the Rafa was shit ya know bullshit revisionism and the Rafa was a big bad evil monster shite, can people stop the "Rafa would have done this better, Rafa would have done that better" bla bla bla

Both sides. Give it a rest. Just a massive Abortion of a thread coming here.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I wouldn't trust Rafa with anything involving our club.

I take it you were hating when we won the European cup, got to another final, had some of the best nights of our lives, were rated the top team in Europe, had some amazing players, won the FA cup, and were a force for the league... all whilst going through the most turbulent time our ownership situation has ever seen.

Seriously, a touch of respect for the guy and his managerial achievements wouldn't go a miss.

People have been saying in various threads that Kenny shouldn't receive any further financial backing from the owners... but what state will we be in if they keep throwing money at Comolli?

That's the problem, nobody knows exactly how their relationship works and where to lay the blame for our transfer blunders. The assumption seems to be that the British players would be those favoured by a British manager, but we really don't know.

With regards the OP question - Rafa was a hot name in European management, had CL to offer and trophys seemed less of a struggle. In that situation it was easier to attract the better talent rather than taking risks or overpaying. That's not where we're at now, so he question is moot.

We're getting more money in now than we had back in 2005, 06, 07. We've got far, far, far less debt, too. The money available to us is much greater, especially with our new sponsorship deal coming into place. We should be spending out on wages to get the best players. They've already said that spending big wages isn't the problem, it's spending big wages on shit players.

Your outlook will put us permanently in mid-table or worse.

It is not my outlook mate. It is what the owners think. Trust me, I work in Finance and I know the mind set of a typical owner. The belief has always been that the best way to rescue an under performing firm is to reduce the wages. Fire people, reduce the numbers and hire new ones has always been the mantra. It is also typical behavior of a new take over too. I am sure that is what the owners have been thinking.

Our problems are a bit bigger than that though. Not only have some of the signings been poor but also tactics. You can't deny that. For most of our game our midfield runs from box to box without having any possession. Enrique and other wingers have most of the possession which means mostly it will be long balls or crosses. No creativity from the midfield what so ever.

Anway FYI, Rafa was on 4 million a year salary, Kenny is on 3 million a year.

It is not my outlook mate. It is what the owners think. Trust me, I work in Finance and I know the mind set of a typical owner. The belief has always been that the best way to rescue an under performing firm is to reduce the wages. Fire people, reduce the numbers and hire new ones has always been the mantra. It is also typical behavior of a new take over too. I am sure that is what the owners have been thinking.

Our problems are a bit bigger than that though. Not only have some of the signings been poor but also tactics. You can't deny that. For most of our game our midfield runs from box to box without having any possession. Enrique and other wingers have most of the possession which means mostly it will be long balls or crosses. No creativity from the midfield what so ever.

Anway FYI, Rafa was on 4 million a year salary, Kenny is on 3 million a year.

You know fuck all about our owners or their plans.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It is not my outlook mate. It is what the owners think.

It's not what they've said. It's not what they've done in other parts of their business, either.

Trust me

Nah.

I work in Finance and I know the mind set of a typical owner. The belief has always been that the best way to rescue an under performing firm is to reduce the wages.

That works as a business model where employees are employed to perform a specific task to earn you money. It's a whole different thing when you bring sports and players into the mix.

Fire people, reduce the numbers and hire new ones has always been the mantra. It is also typical behavior of a new take over too. I am sure that is what the owners have been thinking.

They certainly want to clear the deadwood, but they will also understand the importance of paying for top players and the money that can bring in. It actually raises revenue when spent on good players. They'll know this.

Yes, let's go back 2 years to the happy days of being twatted by Pompey. Fucking hell, you guys are lemmings, without their memory banks.

That guy back and I fear a lot of people will take a time out supporting the club.

Yeah you're right, as opposed to being twatted by fucking BOLTON, who are second bottom and have NGog (who you probably called shit three years ago) as their main striker.

Yes, to answer the question. Rafa would have spent the money a lot better. I also think, if Kenny was to be replaced, he would be the best choice of the managers currently available.

Please don't tell me that selling Torres, letting Merieles go who was demanding big money was part of the plan to increase our wage bill.

The best performing teams have excellent players but they also have high wages. It is not very hard to see.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Please don't tell me that selling Torres, letting Merieles go who was demanding big money was part of the plan to increase of wage bill.

I didn't say they 'want' to increase the wage bill. However, neither of those players were sold to reduce the wage bill. They were sold because they handed in transfer requests and wanted to leave the club.

The best performing teams have excellent players but they also have high wages. It is not very hard to see.

Erm, yeah, I know. Which is why I've taken this position.