You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO Out of towners, wools, mongs and the Irish.

Sugar Ape

• 1 year later...

They call a Steamboat a Swizzler on the Wirral? The fuck is that all about, fucking weirdos. And BirkenVegas has got to be the second worst thing I've heard in my life. Only beaten by the Irish calling a chippy a chipper.

Agent Skids will check back on this swizzler shit as I work on that side.

Proper gobshites over here though. (Except Paul, Rog and Skeet)

• Upvote 1

Chipper? Isn't that a word southern twats say when they're in a good mood?"

Another one, is it only scousers that say 'is right'?

If you remember The Stairs then there was a band just after that called The Isrites. Nothing came out at the time. Some stuff available here

http://www.the-viper-label.co.uk/catalogue/edgar-summertyme-the-isrites-big-kids-sessions-1995-2000-cddl091/

They call a Steamboat a Swizzler on the Wirral? The fuck is that all about, fucking weirdos. And BirkenVegas has got to be the second worst thing I've heard in my life. Only beaten by the Irish calling a chippy a chipper.

I thought a Swizzler was some kind of lolly ice or a kids potatoey food?

This Isnt Sent From an iPhone because I Havent Got One, So There.

One of my favourite films, never got onto that though... ill listen out for it next time 

Is there a better coming-of-age film? 

It has been a long time since I last watched it, but I'm sure Vern uses the word boss to describe something good.

Have you read the short story that the film is based on?

There's a book coming out from some Liverpool prof about how much of Liverpool local vernacular that was thought to be purely local does in fact come from old Irish (as in the language) and old Irish conversational terms that were brought across on the famine ships. 

'Sound' being a very good example.  I've met scousers who think this is purely a Liverpool thing when it in fact it has been part of the Irish dialect for centuries.

There's a book coming out from some Liverpool prof about how much of Liverpool local vernacular that was thought to be purely local does in fact come from old Irish (as in the language) and old Irish conversational terms that were brought across on the famine ships. 

'Sound' being a very good example.  I've met scousers who think this is purely a Liverpool thing when it in fact it has been part of the Irish dialect for centuries.

What is the book called?

So what you are saying is all the annoying scals who call people ' lid ' got it from the Irish? I knew it.