You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What must the new manager achieve in the first season?

Guest meowingdog

Guest meowingdog

For the past 2 seasons,

we play

1)mostly defensive football with mostly long balls masqueraded as great passes

2)the players are like strangers to each other. Either square passes to each other, a hopeless punt forward or a poor cross with 1 striker to battle against several defenders

3)we were out of the race for the championship by December last season and early November this season

We need

1)one fast, skilful and commanding central defender--trouble is, every club in Europe is looking for one too

2)an excellent to world-class right sided midfielder

3)a partner to Steven Gerrard

4)clear out stacks of deadwood, to bring in new players, and to reduce the wage bill

5)train and drill the players for passing football.

As long as the new manager can get us challenging for the title till at least March, and we play passing football, I would consider that a job very well done.

Guest meowingdog
Nothing less than a Premiership and Champions League double, also emulating Arsenals' unbeaten domestic league feat. Anything less, and the new manager can get his coat.

Hey Roman Abramovich, that's really quite demanding, especially with Moscow breathing down your neck!

The most important thing is that the players should start to enjoy their football again, and play with a passion and willingness that only 2 or 3 do.

As next year will be a transition period, real success will be seen if the manager can successfully implement his style of football and have us closer to the top 3 than we have been this year.

No reason why we can't go quite far in the CL, and maybe get to a cup final..

Guest Gizmo1

Attacking style of football, pacy defender, motivated players, clear out the shite and a sustained title challenge and a good run in the CL and I'll be quite content for starters.

Come on guys we have some top players at our club as your all aware. A new approach, new coaching ideas and some good signings this summer to add to that. We will be ok I have every faith. Another good feeling will be when we get rid of the 'deadwood' too.

The future is looking bright i can feeeeeeeeeeeeeeel it!!

Guest Dancing Dave

That's just it though isn't it?? If the results are good, good. If they're not, the same moaning tw@ts will be phoning 606, 505, Alan Jackson et al screaming for a change.

Want to see

1) the deadwood gone by end of summer

2) 2 or 3 class signings. No squad players

3) all remaining players given a fair crack of the whip, promising youngters given a run on the bench with a 20 min slot when things are going ok

4) motivated players run out at Anfield in Aug.

5) Development of a team - too long we've been a bunch of promising individuals.

6) a top 3 challenge with a definate CL place

7) I'd like to see us go for a cup as well. Dont expect the League in Yr1 but a cup can get the winning habit going and be good for a team.

Guest Dancing Dave
Want to see

1) the deadwood gone by end of summer

2) 2 or 3 class signings. No squad players

3) all remaining players given a fair crack of the whip, promising youngters given a run on the bench with a 20 min slot when things are going ok

4) motivated players run out at Anfield in Aug.

5) Development of a team - too long we've been a bunch of promising individuals.

6) a top 3 challenge with a definate CL place

7) I'd like to see us go for a cup as well. Dont expect the League in Yr1 but a cup can get the winning habit going and be good for a team.

'Kin'ell Cath..are you REALLY a girl?? Top post that.

Guest Dancing Dave
Dave, are you REALLY a gentleman?

I am actually mate, and I wasn't being sexist either. My missus could lose half of the posters on here about Liverpool. Mind you, so could the average cactus.

I'm with you, Fourtimes.

Although we perhaps only need "tweaking" i still don't think there should be any pressure on teh manager at all in his 1st season. Anything goo dthat comes from next year should be considered a bonus, but not standard.

Players being played in their correct positions would be a good start. And just bring back plain old back-to-basics attack-biased football.

Bringing the odd youngster through for the odd game wouldn't go amiss either. Players like Welsh who can bring a bit of pride in to the squad instead of buying cheap foreign shite who are only in it for the pay cheque.

If those three very basic things are done and done quickly then success will surely follow imo.

Success in the transfer market (both in and out); goals and excitement at Anfield (I'm sick of the appalling atmosphere. It'll only be lifted by entertaining football.); a CL qualifying finish within 10 points of the top; and the odd humiliation of an opposing team.

Entertaining football is a must for me, i'm sick of the drivel we've had to put up with lately. Hopefully i'll be able to go the match again and get my moneys worth.

In terms of tangible placings, i'd take top three, second group stage of CL as success. Even if it goes tits up I wouldn't be overly harsh on the manager because you can't do too much in your first year.