You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

Woman accuses man of rape, proved to be a complete fabrication. His name is made public hers is not. His reputation is sullied forever. Bit of a tangent but did they ever change that system, thought they did ?

Anyway as for Suarez, the mud would stick too I suppose. As for Evra, he is a proven snidey cunt, no racial slurs needed for that conviction.

Yeah, thankfully I think they did change that law.

Evra was silly on two counts in my view.

1) Not telling the referee at the time; and 2) going straight to the press and not going through what would be deemed proper channels.

Evra has really sullied Suarez' name here, he has an obligation to go as far as he can to prove this charge or retract it. Leaving it hanging reflects poorly on both of them.

I don't. There is a gif floating round somewhere of Suarez obviously saying something to Evra but there is no way of knowing what. How do we know he was racially abusing him then?

I have no idea what the truth is but to flippantly write something off as bullshit through lack of hard evidence is a little naive in my view.

The thing is though Tom, Evra is the one who referred to TV evidence to back up his claim!

This wasn't a case of people simply saying that you cannot see anything on TV, he said you can, and it seems that is not the case.

And that is before we get onto the fact that Suarez would be speaking in a second language, which he is only learning, so his pronunciation would not be so pronounced.

Me mouthing Nigger would be easy to discern but, I am extremely doubtfull that you could do that if it was spoken with broken English.

This is using Evra's evidence.

I'd challenge anyone to think of anything good or bad about Norwegians.

Has there ever been a less significant country?

If you google "Famous Norwegians" you do risk breaking the internet, but I was brave, and in the top 10 natural search results, there is a link to a Norwegian Tourist Board (Go Norway) and their entire list consists of TWO people, one bloke who invented the paperclip and the other who invented the cheese-slicer.

And that's it.

Link is here

FAMOUS NORWEGIANS

Paper clips are called Trombones in France. Just thought I'd share that useless snippet of information with everybody.

Leaving it hanging reflects poorly on both of them.

Can't see how it's reflecting badly on Suarez. What's he supposed to do beside denying the claim?

The way I'm looking at it, Evra is proving Suarez's innocence by...

1. Not telling the ref/fellow players at the time it happened, despite being very hurt.

2. Telling French tv that you could clearly see what Suarez said as it was caught on camera, or words to that effect.

3. Remaining so quiet on the whole thing. If it had happened to me, I'd be in the papers every day yapping about it until something was done.

I don't. There is a gif floating round somewhere of Suarez obviously saying something to Evra but there is no way of knowing what. How do we know he was racially abusing him then?

I have no idea what the truth is but to flippantly write something off as bullshit through lack of hard evidence is a little naive in my view.

Not at all. But until it has been properly investigated, it shouldn't be naturally assumed you are lying.

You're actually annoying me now. In you're quest to be impartial and fair, you're being anything but.

Nobody is "flippantly writing" anything off. Nobody is assuming anything.

The majority here have been rational and well reasoned enough to weigh up the evidence and come to a conclusion.

Let me break it down for you.

1. Evra was irate from kick off. Before he had even spoken to Suarez. He was arguing with officials, waving cards, and getting into altercations from the opening whistle. Why?

2. He seemed pretty calm (or atleast no more irate) considering he had been called a nigger 10+ times by Suarez. Why?

3. Evra didn't mention this to referee during the match. Let me clarify this for you. Evra and Suarez were both taken aside by the referee, he said nothing. Evra was then brought back for slapping Suarez's hand, he said nothing. Evra was then booked by the referee, he said nothing. Evra spoke to the referee at the end of the match when walking past him, he said nothing. Why?

4. Evra finally tells the referee and his manager after he has already had his interview with the French TV channel. Neither the referee or the manager knew of the incident before this point. Evra is still pretty calm, for somebody who has been abused racially over 10 times.

‘I won’t repeat what he said, but it was a racist word, and he said it more than ten times. He tried to wind me up. I won’t make a huge deal out of it, but it’s very upsetting and disappointing.’

5. Evra didn't mention this to any of the playing staff - including his captain, who is also black and an ambassador of the Kick It Out campaign against racism. Why?

6. Not one person on the pitch heard the abuse. The only time Saurez and Evra are together for any considerable amount of time is during the set plays. There are approximately 18 players, plus the referee, surrounding them at this point. Furthermore, they are openly fighting. They will have been to everybody's attention. Suarez isn't covering his mouth, or whispering in Evra's ear. He is openly talking and provoking Evra. So why did not one player hear it?

7. Evra claimed and stated as a fact that Suarez spoke this word over 10 times and it is caught on camera. Furthermore he said that lip readers will be able to back that up. Those are his claims, which he made to an audience of millions. However, the 20 odd cameras which would have been playing the game have not shown up one second of video footage which supports his claim. This is HD and 3D footage, in the biggest of all PL games.

8. Alex Ferguson has repeatedly tried to slander our best players. First Torres and now Suarez, with his accusations of "diving all over the place". Nobody thinks he has conspired against us. But they think he is a tosser anyway.

Absolute bullshit.

Are you suggesting if there is no evidence something happened, then it didn't happen? Ridiculously naive attitude, that.

It's a massive allegation for Evra to have made and I daresay he didn't make it lightly or for the hell of it or as part of some greater conspiracy. He made it because he obviously thought he was racially abused. If he actually was or not, I guess we'll never know as I don't see it being proved one way or the other now.

Innocent until proven guilty.

I thought that's how it worked in this country?

Innocent until proven guilty.

I thought that's how it worked in this country?

Are you suggesting I think Suarez is guilty of racism? How would I know that? It's Evra's word against his and I don't have a personal opinion on his guilt or lack thereof, as I have no idea what went on.

Has anyone heard the canal plus interview who speaks french.

This is a transcript in it he doesn't use the word "nigger". Unless I have misunderstood the situation it has been assumed that vile word has been used. It is a logical assumption but just an assumption nonetheless.

"Evra, a black French defender, was quoted as telling French TV station Canal Plus: “There are cameras, you can see him (Suarez) say a certain word to me at least 10 times."

Lets be honest society has been quite innovative linguistically wise and has come up with many derogatory insults that could also fit the description,that Evra feels he heard.

I guess when Evra files a statement we see what Evra specifically states in his statement to the Fa.

As things stand at the moment, we have an allegation without knowing the word used from a Uruguayan to a Frenchman given to a French channel interpreted by an English speaking population to dissect via the tribalism of a bitter rivalry.

Both parties deserve to be treated with respect, Suarez's innocence and Evra a chance to give a full detailed report to the FA detailing what he heard and how many times etc. I would assume they would ask Suarez what dialogue he had with Evra also.

People are mentioning the video footage, but I certainly would not want to see a person convicted by lipreading footage or found innocent by that alone.

I think Evra's lying.

He'd have had plenty of time to have a word with Marriner after the first one or two alleged statements, or even other players on our/their team to act as witnesses after the fact.

As it is, he didn't mention it until afterwards, and even then he did it covertly and not through the proper channels.

The key thing should be, though, the allegation that Suarez said it ten times and that you can see it on the t.v cameras. If that's not true he should get done for slander, as it's an appalling allegation to make.

I think the other thing worth noting is that, as far as I know, there's been no mass Utd backing for Evra like Dalglishes for Suarez. Slur is not out there fighting the good fight for him. His comments that Evra was 'determined to follow it through' even sound a bit like, 'well, he can do it if he wants, be it on his head'.

You're actually annoying me now. In you're quest to be impartial and fair, you're being anything but.

Nobody is "flippantly writing" anything off. Nobody is assuming anything.

The majority here have been rational and well reasoned enough to weigh up the evidence and come to a conclusion.

Let me break it down for you.

1. Evra was irate from kick off. Before he had even spoken to Suarez. He was arguing with officials, waving cards, and getting into altercations from the opening whistle. Why?

2. He seemed pretty calm (or atleast no more irate) considering he had been called a nigger 10+ times by Suarez. Why?

3. Evra didn't mention this to referee during the match. Let me clarify this for you. Evra and Suarez were both taken aside by the referee, he said nothing. Evra was then brought back for slapping Suarez's hand, he said nothing. Evra was then booked by the referee, he said nothing. Evra spoke to the referee at the end of the match when walking past him, he said nothing. Why?

4. Evra finally tells the referee and his manager after he has already had his interview with the French TV channel. Neither the referee or the manager knew of the incident before this point. Evra is still pretty calm, for somebody who has been abused racially over 10 times.

5. Evra didn't mention this to any of the playing staff - including his captain, who is also black and an ambassador of the Kick It Out campaign against racism. Why?

6. Not one person on the pitch heard the abuse. The only time Saurez and Evra are together for any considerable amount of time is during the set plays. There are approximately 18 players, plus the referee, surrounding them at this point. Furthermore, they are openly fighting. They will have been to everybody's attention. Suarez isn't covering his mouth, or whispering in Evra's ear. He is openly talking and provoking Evra. So why did not one player hear it?

7. Evra claimed and stated as a fact that Suarez spoke this word over 10 times and it is caught on camera. Furthermore he said that lip readers will be able to back that up. Those are his claims, which he made to an audience of millions. However, the 20 odd cameras which would have been playing the game have not shown up one second of video footage which supports his claim. This is HD and 3D footage, in the biggest of all PL games.

8. Alex Ferguson has repeatedly tried to slander our best players. First Torres and now Suarez, with his accusations of "diving all over the place". Nobody thinks he has conspired against us. But they think he is a tosser anyway.

Spot on, echoing exactly my point on the last page. Evra is a crying cunt and Ferguson couldn't wait to pounce on it.