You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

I'll be amazed if we sign anyone of that calibre.

Was kind of hoping before the window was open that we'd be sharp, but it seems as we're dipping our toes in the water with enquiries here and there. For example, just get Hoilett in. For £8m he's a steal. Even if he doesn't do the business, we'd easily get our money back.

Desperately need another holding midfielder. If something happens to Jay now that Lucas is out, we could be in trouble, as last night proved.

A defensive midfielder and striker are imperative, even if they are on loan.

I'm of the same opinion.

Obviously we can't expect to solve a lot of problems in January. We don't need to anyway. The only major problem we have is lack of goals stemming from bad finishing, maybe possibly also a lack of a creative spark outside Suarez but Stevie's back now so we he will be a big influence in that respect.

As you say if Jay gets a long term injury though we instantly have a problem in midfield. Cause Adam and Henderson cannot play defensive midfield to save their fucking lives. Stevie could do it but it'd be a waste making him sit.

I think we'll probably take our chances in midfield and wait till the summer to reassess there. I can understand that.

But we simply have to bring in another attacking player who has some goals in him. Even a 6 month loan spell for someone and fuck it if it doesn't work out we're no worse off.

From the offal

Kenny Dalglish has revealed Liverpool have the option to bolster their ranks in the January transfer window - but insisted he is more than happy with the squad he currently has at his disposal.

The boss is not anticipating there to be much transfer activity at Anfield this month, though there is the opportunity for the Reds to bring in new faces should they wish to do so.

Dalglish told reporters at Melwood: "We've got an option to be active if we want to be active, but we said at the outset that we'd be quiet.

"It's work in progress for us. We'll just keep doing what we're doing, and the boys will keep working as hard as they can, and we'll see where we go.

"If we needed somebody to bolster up, we could do it - but I said right at the outset, we don't.

"We're not really chasing after anybody that we want to bring in in January. We've been happy with what they (the players) have done since August."

He added: "I don't think it is unusual when we said at the start we would not be very busy. I think it's unusual when people try to invent things, get it horribly wrong and then ask us to justify it.

"We said right at the outset, if anything there will be very little (transfer activity). It's a wee bit disrespectful to us after trying to be honest and saying there might not be much, that we get accused of not being active."

Doesn't look like Pato, Hazzard and the other 20 million we have been linked with will be coming in January

A great big shiny gold star to the first person who tells me it's just a smoke screen to put everyone off while we secretly sign the worlds top attacking talent.

From the offal

Kenny Dalglish has revealed Liverpool have the option to bolster their ranks in the January transfer window - but insisted he is more than happy with the squad he currently has at his disposal.

The boss is not anticipating there to be much transfer activity at Anfield this month, though there is the opportunity for the Reds to bring in new faces should they wish to do so.

Dalglish told reporters at Melwood: "We've got an option to be active if we want to be active, but we said at the outset that we'd be quiet.

"It's work in progress for us. We'll just keep doing what we're doing, and the boys will keep working as hard as they can, and we'll see where we go.

"If we needed somebody to bolster up, we could do it - but I said right at the outset, we don't.

"We're not really chasing after anybody that we want to bring in in January. We've been happy with what they (the players) have done since August."

He added: "I don't think it is unusual when we said at the start we would not be very busy. I think it's unusual when people try to invent things, get it horribly wrong and then ask us to justify it.

"We said right at the outset, if anything there will be very little (transfer activity). It's a wee bit disrespectful to us after trying to be honest and saying there might not be much, that we get accused of not being active."

Doesn't look like Pato, Hazzard and the other 20 million we have been linked with will be coming in January

A great big shiny gold star to the first person who tells me it's just a smoke screen to put everyone off while we secretly sign the worlds top attacking talent.

rua528.gif

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Did people really expect Dalglish to tell a room full of the press all our transfer plans.

Alex Ferguson always does the same thing: he says, "we've no plans to add to the squad" and then he spends loads of money on somebody.

Even if we don't spend money, it's not the end of the world. With Steve and Luis back in the team on a regular basis, we should start to pick up points. I hope we do add some more pace in attack and some grit/tempo in the defensive part of midfield, but if we don't, we just have to get on with it and adjust our expectations.

Guest The Big Green Bastard
I'd like us to buy a million pounds worth of cotton wool and wrap Steven Gerrard up in it.

With stevie back in the team, it's like getting a £30m world class midfielder for zilch.

The agent of Esteban Granero has told The International Business Times UK that the Spaniard could join Liverpool in the summer.

The 24-year-old continues to play an increasingly peripheral role under Jose Mourinho and has subsequently been strongly linked with a move to the Premier League this month, amid apparent interest from Arsenal and Liverpool.

Although links to Arsenal were dismissed, the Spaniard's agent suggested Liverpool were interested in the former Getafe midfielder and intimated Granero could move to Anfield in the summer, should his current hiatus from first team duties at the Bernabeu continue.

Teofilo Lazaro claimed the aforementioned Real Madrid coach is endeavouring to jettison the playmaker in this month's transfer window, either on loan or permanently, but was adamant his client would not be leaving Spain in January, despite confirmation of Liverpool's admiration.

"He's finding his chances limited at Real. He's keen for a move away - possibly to Liverpool." Lazaro told The IBTimes UK.

While happy to reveal Liverpool's reputed advances, Lazaro suggested Granero would remain at the Bernabeu beyond this month's transfer window, regardless of Mourinho's intention to move the player on.

Lazaro hinted that the technically gifted midfielder is unsettled in the Spanish capital due to his lack of opportunities, claiming that "he just wants to play".

He continued: "If he can't play at Madrid then he'll play somewhere else. It's as simple as that."

In addition to being associated with Liverpool, Granero had also been linked with a move to Arsenal but this was refutably denied by the agent who said "he hadn't heard anything" from the north London Premier League club.

Granero initially left Real Madrid in July 2008 in order to join La Liga counterparts Getafe, but following an impressive spell at Los Azulones, his former club exercised their buy-back option for the former Spanish international, and he returned to the Bernabeu just a year later in a £4 million deal.

Although he has played a marginal role since, the player has been regularly associated with clubs in England, and in addition to Liverpool and Arsenal, TalkSport recently suggested Blackburn Rovers were admirers.

The aforementioned source claimed Liverpool and Granero's other Premier League suitors could land the Madrid born star for £8 million, but a transfer to England this month now looks increasingly unlikely.

ibtimes

Lille’s determination to sign Joe Cole on a permanent deal could see coveted striker Moussa Sow head in the opposite direction.

Anfield boss Kenny Dalglish has made no secret of his desire to strengthen his attack following a meagre return of 24 goals in 20 Barclays Premier League games this season.

Sow is keen to move to England and has been strongly linked with Arsenal and Tottenham, but reports in France say Liverpool have not entered the race for the 25-year-old.

Le Parisien say Cole, who is on loan at Lille, would join the French champions in part exchange for their Senegal striker, who is on duty with his country at the Africa Cup of Nations.

There is interest from Russia and Lille were also prepared to accept an £8.3million bid from Fenerbahce this winter, but Sow would prefer a move to England and his happy to wait until the end of the season.

The former Rennes striker - who has just 18 months left on his contract - has look distracted this season. He has scored 10 in 25 matches, but was much more prolific last season, when he struck 26 goals in 51 games.

Cole has enjoyed a new lease of life across the Channel and has expressed interest in making the move permanent.

The 30-year-old has played a part in most of Lille’s games this season after initially being eased into action and has scored three league goals in 15 appearances.

Daily Mail

Didnt expect Kenny to come out and decalare that we will sign players. Think this was more or less a statement saying we are not desperate to sign anyone, thus all clubs can forget us paying over the odds for someone. Or something.

But IMO we should be desperate to bring in someone who'll get us goals. Apart from Gerrard's return we've seen no indications that we'll start to take our chances better. While it's fantastic to have Gerrard back, having only him and Luis as real threats to our opponents is not enough.

Quique Pina is supposedly set to sign for Liverpool.

He seems to be a 14 year old left back. Supposedly very fast and very strong, and wanted by all the top sides in Spain. It seems that Antonio Gomez has encouraged the kid to join Liverpool, whilst also working on some sort of co-operation arrangement between the two clubs.

As he played for the U18 side during his trial I assumed he was 16 or 17, especially as the fee mentioned is €200,000 - potentially rising to €300 000.

Sow is a one-year wonder so far. He scored lots of goal last year, and that's it basically. He scored like none for Rennes and has scored just a couple this year ...

I'm sure Lille would not mind to cash in on him, but it is a gamble for sure ...

Seeing that Shaqiri is being linked with Galatasaray.... We should really be loking to hijack this and get him in... Would help in both goals and creative depts...

Yeah, and i believe the quoted figure was €11 million. It would be plainly stupid if we werent involved for that kind of money.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Seeing that Shaqiri is being linked with Galatasaray.... We should really be loking to hijack this and get him in... Would help in both goals and creative depts...

I don't understand why clubs aren't falling over themselves to get him. He'd be incredible here.