You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

--------------------------Reina

Johnson--------Adam-----------Agger------Enrique

Bellamy-----------------Kuyt----------------Downing

-----------------Carroll-----------Suarez

subs. Maxi, Henderson, Sterling, whoever else

Love your confidence. We're putting Adam in defence & only fielding 10 players because Stoke are shit

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

------------------------|Reina|------------------------

Kelly*---------Carra------------Agger-------Enrique

---------------Adam**------------Lucas---------------

--Downing-------------Suarez------------Bellamy***

------------------------Carroll-------------------------

* Or Johnson

** Or Spearing

*** Or Maxi

Apart from possibly Everton away and last seasons top 4 this is the most difficult game of the season, typical that it comes right after these fuckin internationals. Would have liked the team to have a full week to prepare for this. Want Downing, Suarez and Bellamy supporting Carroll, Carroll will give their CB's plenty to think about in what they usually dominate, and the trio of Downing, Suarez and Bellamy will run their defence ragged as long as we keep the ball on the ground and a play at a high tempo.

Could see Kenny and Clarke going for a 3-5-2 though to try and boss the midfield.

But i doubt it as i have a hard time fitting in Downing and Kuyt/Bellamy and i really think they need to be included.

Fuck this 3 at the back bollicks. We're Liverpool FC and we're hard as hell.

They can have a goal from a set piece if they want, we'll tear them a fucking new one in open play.

4-1 the redmen.

Caroll hatrick.

Suarez.

Crouch. (a consolation prize as I'm basically a charitable man)

I'd like to see us put Suarez and Downing on the half way line every time they get a corner. Let's see how brave they are then at comitting their big shithouse defenders to go up.

Agree with NV. I'd love it, love it if Big Andy gets the arse over Capello's comments and batters Shawcross & co.

As for hoofing from the backline? Carra only does that when he gets closed down by teams that press. Can anyone see Jones and Crouch chasing our defenders down? I can't see it, personally.

JaseFace I think we were seperated at birth my brother. That is the attitude I crave from my fellow reds. Ive even heard some shithouses saying they would be happy with a draw, fuck that shit.. I want 3 points and to get that goal difference up against these mediocre bastards.

Now that Birmingham are back where they should be this is the game of the season I have lowest expectations going into. While it may be more difficult to play the big 4/5 teams away you atleast get the excitement that follows a good result/a win there. Stoke are a team we should beat, whether it's home or away, but it's getting harder and harder. They have a philosophy about what they do, agree with it or not. They consistently buy players with either height or pace (or both), and paly very direct. It's all well and good saying we should beat them with a different tactic/philosophy but you have got to be prepared for those throw-ins/corners, as even Barca would struggle to keep them from getting any. They aren't complete mugs at the back either, and once they get that 1st goal they'll always give you a hard time breaking through.

I'd be tempted to use both Coates and Carroll in this one, as it takes a lot of pressure away from our otherwise vulnerable CBs dealing with set pieces.

Perhaps we'll use Skrtel/Carra as RB again, including some more height in Coates, or even go 3-5-2?

--------------------Reina-------------------

----Carra----Agger-----Coates

---Johnson----Lucas----Adam*-----Enrique----

-----------------Downing--------------------

---------------Suarez----Carroll---------------

*or Spearing/Henderson (I guess Henderson will play though, especially after ending his involvement with the U21s early)

Why is everyone picking Carroll? He has been poor and Stoke will want to play against him, as their defenders are very good in the air.

Bellamy, Suarez, Kuyt and Downing should play and hurt Stoke with their movement, pace and ability to move their big defenders out of their confort zone.

Keep the ball on the ground against these. They don't generally tend to play football, from what I remember of previous seasons. Enrique will be busy up against Pennant on the wing (if he's fit). So I don't think we can play three at the back as their strategy is mostly ping ball into box, find head. Carroll to keep the neaderthals busy.

Lucas to score. His time has come.

-------------------Reina-----------------

Carragher----Agger-----Coates----Enrique

Kuyt-----Henderson-----Lucas----Downing

-------------Suarez----Bellamy-----------

I have set the team up as 4-4-2 but Bellamy, Downing, Kuyt and Suarez will interchange all over the place. Carragher will get plenty of cover from the likes of Kuyt and Lucas should Stoke decide to keep the ball on the deck which I think is unlikely. It will be the usual shite from Stoke, throwing the ball from their own half into our box so having 3 center halves on the pitch with Enrique could be useful.

I think there is a good chance Coates and Bellamy will be involved seeing as it appears Kenny likes to get new players involved as quickly as possible. Carroll could be a good option off the bench. Very hard working side for us there. Stoke fans are really looking forward to this one, hopefully Pulis will be a little over confident too and we take them 0-2.

Why is everyone picking Carroll? He has been poor and Stoke will want to play against him, as their defenders are very good in the air.

Bellamy, Suarez, Kuyt and Downing should play and hurt Stoke with their movement, pace and ability to move their big defenders out of their confort zone.

Exactly. Why the clamour for AC? Against Arsenal, Vermaelen (some 5 inches shorter) had AC in his pocket the entire time he was on the park. Against Sunderland he failed to get out of Wes Brown's pocket the entire game. Shawcross is stronger in the air then either and AC has failed to dominate in the air during any game he has started for us.

We beat Stoke by playing to our strengths not theirs, fast movement, with incisive passing on the ground, with Suarez running them ragged. Starting AC will be a massive error.

Lucas would have to work bloody hard in that formation.

I can safely say, that won't be the team - nor should it be!

You must have missed the first month of kenny's new reign because this is exactly the formation we played

Chelsea 0-1 Liverpool: Meireles grabs winner | Zonal Marking

Liverpool 2-0 Stoke: Dalglish switches to a three-man defence | Zonal Marking

Edited by Paco

Made up that this is a 3pm KO.

For some reason i had this down as a crappy ESPN live game 12.45pm or 5.30pm.

I agree with the comments about leaving 1 or 2 players up at corners and I believe this is one of Kennys tactics anyway. Can easily do without the likes of Suarez and Downing back anyway.

We haven't seen Enrique tested by loads of crosses to the far post by anyone yet. Stoke will give him plenty of work to do in the air.

Anyone know from his time at Newcastle how good he is in the air?

He's not strong according to those who watched him a lot, but I didn't notice anything in the few games I saw and I keep an eye out for things like that.

Keep the ball on the floor, why play 1 big man up front againt 3 big men at the back. he won't get a sniff.

Keep the ball on the ground, quick passing to feet and run these yard dogs ragged.

---------------Reina

Johnson--Carragher--Agger--Enrique

----------Lucas-----Adam

Downing-----Henderson------Bellamy

---------------Suarez

1-0 Suarez

I don't think you can have three big men in the back worried solely about Carroll when they've got the likes of Suarez, Kuyt, Bellamy running about in the spaces they leave open. So I'd like Carroll in there to confuse and challenge in the air, with the smaller, faster forwards causing chaos on the ground. It's going to be a long 90 mins.