You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Then so are Gerrard, Johnson and Sturridge. Surely your like of them is greater than your dislike of Hodgson?

Pretty fucked up if it's not.

A early England exit means more rest and less chance of injury.

I couldn't care about international football.All I want to see is a good game.

I think England stand a fair chance in the group, the Liverpool lads will know how best to deal with Suarez and Italy are not the force they were and slow starters.

Issue will be possession.

In the heat and humidity the players will be knackered by 60-70mins and will need plenty of possession to rest in game and England players and Hodgson's tactics are not based around possession.

Sturridge could be a game changer with his pace from the bench.

Issue will be possession.

In the heat and humidity the players will be knackered by 60-70mins and will need plenty of possession to rest in game and England players and Hodgson's tactics are not based around possession.

Sturridge could be a game changer with his pace from the bench.

Aah yes Possession. The very thing England have failed to grasp for the last 20 odd years,that if you cant keep the ball for longer than 5 passes, you will knacker yourself out chasing round to get it back.

Although the way they are talking on the radio there probably isnt much point in turning up at all. Mind thats Hodgson playing down expectations for you. He did it here,and we are still trying to rid that defeatism.

This is brilliant:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/05/england-manager-roy-hodgson-manaus?CMP=twt_gu

"We would also prefer that England doesn't come. We hope to get a better team and a coach who is more sensible and polite. He's one of the few people in the world who is not curious about the Amazon, who doesn't want to know about Manaus."

• Upvote 2

Virgilio was not impressed with Hodgson's point of view.

"To make excuses shows lack of enthusiasm and self-confidence," Virgilio said. "Fortunately the English people are different than Mr Hodgson. It's polite to be able to value what is beautiful. And nothing is more beautiful than Amazonia, [the state of] Amazonas, and Manaus."

Hodgson. Making friends wherever he goes.

I think it's a great group, playing teams like Italy or Uruguay in the amazon at 99% humidity, it'll galvanise the players and if we get through that group, it'll give them the confidence to play the top teams like Argentina, Spain or Brazil later on in the tournament. It's going to be a great world cup either way, I just hope we go out there and play as opposed to trying to steal a win playing defensively, really take the games by the scruff of the neck and go after them.

England versus Suarez is going be riveting viewing, we need Gerrard and Rooney to be in inspired form to progress, I can't help but see Suarez scoring one of his free kicks against us. I want us to win the tournament, I'm not ashamed to say it, my allegiance is to Liverpool, but I want England to win the thing, especially in the second home of football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I always fancy England to do something (not British) but it's just disappointing to see them fail with great teams on paper. Now England squat is not as strong individually but if Rooney, Sturridge can find their form, add Wilshere and a reliable Stevie with solid defence they might have a chance. If they can get out of their group then I believe they can even go to QF.. Other than that I'd like to see some proper footie and I'd like to see Belgium, Colombia and Bosnia to do well.

• Upvote 1

The fa think Hodgson's some great english diplomat, when he's like some stupid old middle class idiot you see on holiday shuffling about in sandals and socks moaning about the heat, moaning that the restaurants only serve this foreign food, complaining that the beers shit, moaning the locals can't speak good enough english and wishing that the place wasn't full of brown people.

• Upvote 4

The fa think Hodgson's some great english diplomat, when he's like some stupid old middle class idiot you see on holiday shuffling about in sandals and socks moaning about the heat, moaning that the restaurants only serve this foreign food, complaining that the beers shit, moaning the locals can't speak good enough english and wishing that the place wasn't full of brown people.

I can't abide him as a manager but that's a piss-poor satirisation of him.

• Upvote 1