You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see that in the past the major problem was the fall off between first 11 and the rest, and that this is being addressed by these purchases. It would have been nice if this had been achieved by pushing the first 11, rather than improving the rest, thats all. Maybe a leap too far at this point.

I can see that in the past the major problem was the fall off between first 11 and the rest, and that this is being addressed by these purchases. It would have been nice if this had been achieved by pushing the first 11, rather than improving the rest, thats all. Maybe a leap too far at this point.

I completely agree mate. I would have loved us to sign the likes of Eden Hazard and Javi Martinez instead of Downing and Adam. The fact we didn't is an indication to me that we have fallen too low on the radar of that kind of player and will need to prove our ambition before we register again. I certainly don't think it's because we decided we wanted to buy mediocre players at a markup.

I have doubts about this summer's business too and the default response of "negged" to any sort of discontent is pretty fucking lame.

We've signed two central midfielders when we didn't really need one. We still don't have someone who can play on the right and we still need a CB and a LB. We could also do with another creative player in the Suarez mould. I'm sick of hearing the "look where we were 12 months ago" argument as well. It's completely irrelevant. We're not there anymore and we've spent 100m since. Questions can and should be asked. Admittedly it may be a little early to start pushing the panic button but I see no reason why people can't express a few concerns on here. That's kinda the reason the forum exists isn't it?

Due to the situation the club finds itself in we simply can't go out and buy top players for top dollar. Unless you have owners like man City, or to a lesser extent, Chelsea, then the only way we can start the rebuilding process is to sign the kind of players we are signing. There's no doubt the players we have signed so far will improve the team, and a top 4 finish has to be the first target before we can push on and challenge for higher calibre players who, hopefully, will help us challenge for top honours again.

I have doubts about this summer's business too and the default response of "negged" to any sort of discontent is pretty fucking lame.

We've signed two central midfielders when we didn't really need one. We still don't have someone who can play on the right and we still need a CB and a LB. We could also do with another creative player in the Suarez mould. I'm sick of hearing the "look where we were 12 months ago" argument as well. It's completely irrelevant. We're not there anymore and we've spent 100m since. Questions can and should be asked. Admittedly it may be a little early to start pushing the panic button but I see no reason why people can't express a few concerns on here. That's kinda the reason the forum exists isn't it?

Yes we did. We needed two. I'm not sure we bought the right ones either.

I completely agree mate. I would have loved us to sign the likes of Eden Hazard and Javi Martinez instead of Downing and Adam. The fact we didn't is an indication to me that we have fallen too low on the radar of that kind of player and will need to prove our ambition before we register again. I certainly don't think it's because we decided we wanted to buy mediocre players at a markup.

I don't understand this one... Javi Martinez doesn't look a world beater, to me, and has the same 'falling down' points as Adam but doesn't have the set piece ability.

I can't argue about Hazard, as he's a fucking special player, and we tried to sign him but he didn't want to move this year.

I think that after a season in which we challenge to a certain degree and finish in the top three, which I think is possible, then Hazzard, Centre Half and M'Villa may be all we need next summer.

I still think we will get a left back this season.

What is/has been annoying me, as Duff has said is the dismissal of any criticism, even to the point of contradicting the neggers point.

We were told that the team is what matters, not the individual, that it is how a player fits within a system that will determine whether or not we buy him, yet when Clichy and Wickham were lost, we were told by the same people that we shouldn't be whinging about these players as they are not that special!

This refusal to accept anything negative about players is becoming tedious, my doubts to Downing where not about his ability as a player but as to what I felt we got for our money, as with Caroll, it is a lot of cash and it is not heresy to suggest it could have been spent better.

But as with most threads, Zigackly, Coop, Johnnyh, Major Tom, PaulMc etc still debate the points without becoming insulting.

It is going to be a fascinating season!

Pretty damn sure mate. Or at least there's enough smoke that I am not going to slate Kenny for the players he's bought, especially when they are a big improvement on what we had.

Who's slating Kenny though?

You can disagree with someone without second-guessing them. That's a fairly basic concept I'd have thought, but it seems to escape many people here.

I may not agree with the some of the signings we've made, but they're Kenny's choices and I'm happy he got them.

I'm just not sure what smoke you're talking about.

We've only been linked to those players by a handful of ITK's and other bullshitters. The likes of Barrett and Evans have maintained since April that we're in for Downing, Adam et al and we got them.

Think Kenny got his first choices myself.

But we're not now, so I don't think an argument like this holds water.

I agree with the OP. I am not criticising what players we have in for the money spent, just concerned we are still lacking a creative spark and some pace.

I agree. And I imagine if, after asking for money to sign a new CB so we can seriously challenge , Kenny was told that he needed to "get some perspective", we might see the reenactment of his gentlemanly discussion with Arsene Wenger.

Who's slating Kenny though?

You can disagree with someone without second-guessing them. That's a fairly basic concept I'd have thought, but it seems to escape many people here.

I may not agree with the some of the signings we've made, but they're Kenny's choices and I'm happy he got them.

The problem with a lot of these argument is polarisation and I guess I am as guilty of that as anyone else in this instance. I don't have any problem with what you are saying there. I suppose I've taken the regularity with which you have questioned them to indicate a deeper malaise, and if so I apologise. I genuinely love Kenny Dalglish, am desperate for him to succeed, and am probably seeing fingers pointed at him which don't necessarily exist.

For my part, I don't imagine everything is rosy in the garden either, but I am very happy to see huge progress both on and off the field, so I am refusing to worry until I see evidence to the contrary. If we're still discussing this summer with some reservations in January then I guess I will have been incorrect in that.

I personally think we all deserve a break though. It may seem naive, but I want to go into a season feeling optimistic for once, live game to game, and enjoy the football. I don't want to be worrying about the future. I've had a bellyfull of that.

Well cheers for all the responses to my original post - i'm guessing the original 'fuck off' and 'negged' posts were banter.

So I am optimistic about the new season, and I like our new signings, they're all good players.

All I was really pointing out, and I hope i'm wrong, was that when I looked at the squad end of last season I thought yeah, Lucas is immense now, but we've probably missed a destroyer since Mascherano left. Centre backs aren't the paciest, might get away with it but would feel more comfortable with a quality addition. Definitely need a left back and a winger as well. And it would be nice to add a forward to the mix just in case Carroll does turn out to be pissed Niall Quinn signed for 35 million.

And so far only Downing has addressed any of the areas which I had identified as potential weaknesses. So on that basis I have a minor concern that we could continue to have those issues!

And while I don't think it is particularly related to the points about personnel I was expressing, don't think anyone would disagree that everything is incomparably better than a year ago, and yes it's awesome we've got a sense of momentum and money to spend for the first time in a few years

Nothing to worry about. I think once this transfer window shuts we will be looking for a top right winger who will be able to offer pace and balance down that side which will really stretch teams. That would really put the finishing touches to the first 11. Until then, keep building a balanced squad and try and shake off the shite on silly wages.