You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barnes v Ronaldo (the winker)

Dave D

Not quite sure why you chose Ronaldo to compare him too but - i can only assume these people who pissed themselves never saw much of John Barnes when he was in full flow. They are too young possibly? Absolute beast of a winger.

Its worth telling these 'people' that the European ban came into effect the year Barnes joined us so his talents never properly made it onto the continental stage. Amazingly JB only featured 12 times for Liverpool in Europe and 11 of those were in his final 2 seasons with us - when he was well past his most destructive best.

In his day he was an absolute nightmare for full-back's, and he used to get a lot of goals - 17, 13, 28, 17 between 86 and 91. I wouldn't like to think how many goals he created for Rush and Aldo during those years. Its no coincidence we were immense when we had him in the team.

Absolute legend.

The worrying part is they are all approx early 40s. I couldnt get my head round it. Admittedley 2 of them are Mancs, but even so.

They must all be secret smackheads or something. I pointed out that I had an old VHS tape "the john barnes story" that would educate them. One of them, a Tottenham fan, said "how sad that you have to watch old videos to remember when you were good" I instantly replied- " At least we have old videos we can look at at mate, unlike Tottenham"

The replys on here hit the nail on the head for me, Barnes played for the team, Ronaldo was/is a one trick one man show.

I don't doubt the answers you're getting here but you are on a Liverpool forum. Were you looking for an actual argument or conversation discussing the merits of both players or simply a pat on the back for your beliefs?

Its also difficult to make a comparison when one player is still playing and one retired about 12 years ago.

Its fair to say that Barnes could comfortably be compared as it stands.

I don't doubt the answers you're getting here but you are on a Liverpool forum. Were you looking for an actual argument or conversation discussing the merits of both players or simply a pat on the back for your beliefs?

I appreciate Ronaldo for his footballing ability. He's a fantastic talent. One of the very best. In the same breath Digger was a once in a generation player. The very finest around at the time. As i previously stated earlier - had we been in Europe when he was at his best - the accolades would have been far greater for him, outside of Liverpool atleast. Without showcasing your talents at the top table - its always difficult to convince people you are mixing it with the greats. Had we been in Europe - there would have been a fair chance we would have added to our European honours - and then players like Barnes would have gained much greater notoriety amongst the general public of Europe - which would have made this point much easier to make. Mancs would obviously scoff when you compare a great player of Liverpool to one of their own - but they must have selective memories if they think Barnes was anything but an absolutely immense footballer.

I see your point tho.

Sorry mate, I didnt want any trouble :)

Barnes, better footballer, rapper and most probably bigger schlong than the ladyboy to ,going by the pressure those poor shorts used to be under.

I could just picture Digger waltzing around that fairy whilst rapping out "You've got to hold and give ,but do at the right time. You can be slow or fast, but you must get to the line.They'll always hit you and hurt you ,defend and attack.There's only one way to beat them get round the back .Catch me if you can 'cos your a manc little cunt "

Barnes then back heels the ball onto the top corner from 35 yards. Barnes wins, Ladyboy cries. The End.

Two different eras and completely different in style of play. Barnes often track back to defend and top class attitude to the game. If he did some of the things he used to on the pitch in the Ronanldo era, everyone will be creaming over him. I cannot say the same for Ronaldo.

John is underated by non LFC fans because he was unlucky his peak was a bit out of sight and mind with the European ban, then when LFC got back between 92-97 himself after his injuries and the team he played in were not as good , plus the perception rightly or wrongly that he was poor for England

Had a season ticket in 87-88. Most explosive start to a career I at our place that I ever saw. What a player. Had everything and also dealt with any unseemly rascist shit or anything else with a brilliant professional calm. On of the finest players to ever wear the shirt. If the ban hadn't stopped him he would have won European cups, European player of year etc. should never underestimate what he gave us over his many years service.

I remember when he came back from his long injury lay off, think it was a week night game under Souness, and he scored a back heel. I was convinced his return would signal our return to the top of the league. He never quite got to his best, subsequently neither did we.

I also remember as a excitable nipper thinking that Mark Walters would be his natural successor. Auxerre at home and a few step overs apart, it proved a bit wide if the mark. Just a tad :)

The scumbag ladyboy. Clue was in the title :)

Ok didn't get away with the delaying tactic. He never winked at me I'm tellin' ya.

Was trying to give myself time to fire up the plastic brain and think of a lot of reasons to pick Barnes. Now we've had all these replies that as a Liverpool fan I'd agree with.

Barnes = great player, one of ours and fantastic guy.

Ronaldo = *cough* player, a fuckin manc and total cunt.

Would be interesting to hear opinions outside the family on this one. Wonder what Digger himself would say for example?

I remember when he came back from his long injury lay off, think it was a week night game under Souness, and he scored a back heel. I was convinced his return would signal our return to the top of the league. He never quite got to his best, subsequently neither did we.

I also remember as a excitable nipper thinking that Mark Walters would be his natural successor. Auxerre at home and a few step overs apart, it proved a bit wide if the mark. Just a tad :)

Mark Walters or Jimmy Carter ?

Jesus Christ, some fucking drop off that was after the legendary awesomeness of Johnny Barnes.