You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barnes v Ronaldo (the winker)

Dave D

Work mates all burst out laughing when I said that I thought John Barnes at his peak was a better player than Ronaldo....

Surely someone else agrees with me? They were literally peeing themselves at such a statement.

Not quite sure why you chose Ronaldo to compare him too but - i can only assume these people who pissed themselves never saw much of John Barnes when he was in full flow. They are too young possibly? Absolute beast of a winger.

Its worth telling these 'people' that the European ban came into effect the year Barnes joined us so his talents never properly made it onto the continental stage. Amazingly JB only featured 12 times for Liverpool in Europe and 11 of those were in his final 2 seasons with us - when he was well past his most destructive best.

In his day he was an absolute nightmare for full-back's, and he used to get a lot of goals - 17, 13, 28, 17 between 86 and 91. I wouldn't like to think how many goals he created for Rush and Aldo during those years. Its no coincidence we were immense when we had him in the team.

Absolute legend.

One day, people will appreciate the incredible talent of John Barnes. They will marvel at his pace, control and vision. They will also look at ronaldo, and his stupid stepover thing and wonder "has he got rickets?". The greasy pedo show pony does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as digger, let alone be compared as a player. The spaks that laughed probably think that george 'simpsons' best is comparable to maradonna- such is the depth of their ignorance.

My earliest football memory is 4.07 - the chip against Millwall. From the moment onwards I was obsessed with John Barnes. I even bought those horrible green Diadora football boots. I made my mum search every supermarket for a can of lucozade sport. Remember the Prudential advert? ''I wanna be John Barnes'? I can remember the first comic relief when I was at school, everybody went fancy dress. I went as JB. Got faced painted and made my mum cut out a number 10 out of paper and sewed it on my shirt.

I've spent most of my life pretending to be John Barnes.

[YOUTUBE]RmAo0uiarvA[/YOUTUBE]

The thing that puts Barnes streets ahead of the greasy headed portuguese twat is that Barnes was a great team player, for individual skill Barnes could pull off a sublime individual goal such as that at the maracana, but he also knew when to play a team mate on. He understood the team ethic playing in a team that would have wiped the floor with any team Ronaldo has played in, if the portuguese had half the football brain of barnes he'd be a fuck of a better player than he currently is, and would really rival messi - fact is he's greedy egotistical twat who would rather take a chance himself than play a team mate through for the easier shot - how many free kicks did the twat balloon?

My earliest football memory is 4.07 - the chip against Millwall. From the moment onwards I was obsessed with John Barnes. I even bought those horrible green Diadora football boots. I made my mum search every supermarket for a can of lucozade sport. Remember the Prudential advert? ''I wanna be John Barnes'? I can remember the first comic relief when I was at school, everybody went fancy dress. I went as JB. Got faced painted and made my mum cut out a number 10 out of paper and sewed it on my shirt.

I've spent most of my life pretending to be John Barnes.

[YOUTUBE]RmAo0uiarvA[/YOUTUBE]

Ah the innocence of youth ! What a great story. Did you invest in a black strap - on for your adult years of John Barnes impersonation or just stick with the face paint?

Work mates all burst out laughing when I said that I thought John Barnes at his peak was a better player than Ronaldo....

Surely someone else agrees with me? They were literally peeing themselves at such a statement.

You must work with a bunch of daft young wankers.

Barnes was a better team player, better individual skill as well in my opinion. Stayed on his feet and was simply beautiful to watch with a ball, his strength (god those thighs) and grace were sublime at times, like Maradona. I see Ronaldo as having a different skill set, extremely talented, but the histrionics make him seem like an absolute douche on the pitch.

I had a similar conversation with a gaggle of young Mancs and Chelsea fans in the canteen at work a few years ago. They were saying that Ronaldo was the best player to have ever played in the league and I said John Barnes might have something to say about that, to which they all burst into laughter. On querying them I worked out they didn't really have a clue who Barnes was but happily an older Manc on the next table chimed in that having seen them both play in his opinion Barnes was twice the player of Ronaldo. That stopped me having to kill them all with plastic cutlery and proved that not all Mancs are deranged, so all in all not a bad lunchtime's effort.

That clip Johan Cruyff has posted is quality. The football we played then was scintillating, I'd love to see us playing like that again as I was too young to appreciate it back then.

The control, blance, vision, finishing and probably most importantly, the final ball that Barnes had were incredible. Great player, Barnesy.

Barnes was a very special player who had it all; pace, power, passing, finishing, silky skill, but most of all he knew what to do and when to do it. He used to play the game a few seconds ahead of most players.

Ronaldo I would say is as gifted but he's not a player who takes joy in the game for me, but joy in himself. Barnes played for the team, and for me that makes him a lot more valuable than Ronaldo.