You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

He's pleaded not guilty to the two most serious charges, looks like he's hoping to plea bargin to avoid a stretch inside.

Not a fucking chance. The Prosecution have got video evidence and they should continue with the other charges.

These people should be doing time, there is no argument about that mate. I won't hold my breath just yet though...

Only this week 2 care workers were found guilty of routinely abusing older adults in their care. The court and judge saw over 60 videos of them abusing people with dementia, including punching them in the face!

Both escaped jail.

• 2 weeks later...

Lee%20Reed.JPG

Lee Reed the Chief Executive of Castlebeck who was 'very clever' with some of his answers given on the Panorama programme has been saying in a public forum that Castlebeck 'were unlucky' and that fellow Cheif Execs of for profit companies involved with LD and MH provision have told him 'it could have happened to any of us'.

Glad to see his determination to put things right.

Cunt.

• 2 weeks later...
Good to see the CPS pushing it all the way. I think there would be a serious public outcry if they didn't.

You mean the CPS that have refused to prosecute the hospital manager despite having my evidence of repeated complaints and him refusing to act on them and claiming they were never made?

Not having a go mate but this is far from cut and dried.

Hexham care assistant Michael Payne jailed for 16 months

A TRUSTED carer has been jailed for 16 months after he mentally and physically tormented a vulnerable patient.

Care assistant Michael Payne conducted a year-long campaign of abuse towards his victim, who has the mental age of a nine or 10-year-old child.

Payne, 24, worked at the Chesterholme in Hexham, a private hospital which cares for people with mental health problems and learning difficulties.

The home is run by Darlington-based Castlebeck with the incident following a BBC Panorama exposure in May of patient ill-treatment at another Castlebeck home, Winterbourne View, in Bristol.

Newcastle Crown Court heard how Payne, who joined the home in February 2010, was regarded as “bombastic” and lacking in patience by other staff members.

Tom Moran, prosecuting, told the court he repeatedly targeted his victim, a 36-year-old man with learning difficulties, bi-polar disorder and hyperactivity disorder.

In November 2010, the victim was excitedly expecting visitors and was pacing up and down in the lounge of the Hexham-based hospital.

Payne – nicknamed “Maybo Mike” after a restraint technique – asked him to move away from the door. When he didn’t, Payne grabbed him by the arms and threw him across the room on to the floor.

Payne again attacked the same victim after he pressed his call button in his room.

He told a junior staff member to “watch this,” and held the victim in a headlock until his face went red. In a separate incident he pushed the victim – described as 5ft 9ins but slightly built – over on to his bed.

Payne also inflicted mental abuse on his victim, flicking orange juice into his hair and on another occasion, taunting him and flicking him on the ears.

And when the victim was eagerly awaiting the arrival of a parcel containing a modelling kit, Payne lied and told him that staff had sent it back because of his “bad behaviour”.

Payne was reported to hospital bosses and was fired in January 2011 for gross misconduct. He was arrested in April.

Alec Burns, defending, said Payne – who has several family members in the care industry – had struggled to accept his behaviour was wrong.

However, he admitted ill treatment of a person of limited capacity before the court.

“The defendant didn’t feel he was trying to create conflict,” Mr Burns said. “He was a young man who just didn’t deal properly with the situation. He was not emotionally mature enough. He has lost his good character and employment.”

Judge Christopher Prince said Payne had subjected his victim to repeated physical assault and psychological torment in the place he called home.

He said Payne had deliberately set out to humiliate the man in front of other staff and patients, knowing he couldn’t escape from the abuse.

“You damaged his enjoyment of life, his sense of self-worth and self confidence,” he told Payne, of Bluebell Meadows, Newton Aycliffe, County Durham.

“A great trust is placed in people who care for others and that is a trust you breached.”

Read More Hexham care assistant Michael Payne jailed for 16 months - Today's News - News - JournalLive

I'm just beyond anger reading that.

I want to meet Michael Payne and I want to kick him in the balls for 8 straight hours. I'll have a short break for refreshment and rest, then I'll do it again for another 8 hours.

I hate bullies, I just fucking hate them.

Care assistant Michael Payne conducted a year-long campaign of abuse towards his victim, who has the mental age of a nine or 10-year-old child.

Tom Moran, prosecuting, told the court he repeatedly targeted his victim, a 36-year-old man with learning difficulties, bi-polar disorder and hyperactivity disorder.

He told a junior staff member to “watch this,” and held the victim in a headlock until his face went red. In a separate incident he pushed the victim – described as 5ft 9ins but slightly built – over on to his bed.

Alec Burns, defending, said Payne – who has several family members in the care industry – had struggled to accept his behaviour was wrong.

However, he admitted ill treatment of a person of limited capacity before the court.

Judge Christopher Prince said Payne had subjected his victim to repeated physical assault and psychological torment in the place he called home.

He said Payne had deliberately set out to humiliate the man in front of other staff and patients, knowing he couldn’t escape from the abuse.

Seems like such an inadequate punishment for a sustained campaign of abuse

The defence is similarly gut churning. How can lawyers even attempt to defend the indefensible?

I also wanted to take issue with the term 'care industry' as used by the reporter; a particularly inappropriate and dehumanising expression in the context of describing the sustained abuse of very vulnerable people