You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Just like there previous DOF that was credited with finding Leicesters players that took them to the title

For a club that trumpets, at every opportunity, how unique and special it is, they spend an inordinate amount of time trying to copy what other clubs have done.

Silva insisted: "We want to build a great connection between the squad and the fans, and I'm sure that with our attitude and demands of commitment then our style of play will see that, I believe.

"Everton is a really ambitious club and that is what I want. What we are seeing now are good changes at the club. The club is changing its approach.

"But one thing we cannot change and nobody wants to change is the huge history and ambition of the club.

"Everybody knows Everton's history. When you are a club like Everton, you only have one solution - to aim to win.

"In football it is impossible to win every match but we must do everything to show in every game that we have ambition.

"I'm excited and I'm really happy to take this big challenge for us as a club and for me as a manager."

_101805524_ms.png

Please tell me someone has a Times subscription and would be kind enough to post the rest of this...

May 31 2018, 5:00pm, The Times

Marco Silva must be given funds – and time – if Everton are to replicate Atletico Madrid model new

Paul Joyce, Northern Football Correspondent

There was a reason why at the start of Everton’s initial managerial search, those days in between Ronald Koeman’s sacking and prior to Sam Allardyce appointment, Diego Simeone was discussed as a possible candidate by the powers-that-be. 

The link was greeted with predictable guffawing in the predictable places — why would El Cholo consider Everton? — yet feelers were put out in the hope of somehow pulling off a surprise appointment. 

Simeone has remained out of reach, of course, and yet his body of work remains the reference point.
  • Upvote 1

He may turn out to be a good manager but there's a few things that are already against him.

The Director of Football might not agree with him on players. As said above usually the manager and DOF usually have a similar philosophy on players or have already worked together and both haven't.

The fans moaned when Martinez played tippy tappy shite and then moaned when Sam Allardyce played alehouse footy. What style does he go for?

If they think that the DOF is going to pluck all these bargains out of nowhere and be cleverer than everyone else they will be in for a shock. Bit like FSG and their early Moneyball policies.

They have loads of shit players on big contracts who will be difficult to get shut of.

No quality player with any ambition will play for them unless they pay through the nose for them.

All their supporters are obsessed with us so if we have a good season they will become very impatient if they are shite or treading water.

Deh9O-sW4AAM6JF.jpg

Moshiri: We searched high and wide for our new manager. Obviously being Everton we wanted to bring in a household name. It was Ondine that really attracted us. He showed a maturity beyond his years and a calmness that belied his hell-raiser reputation. We knew from that moment he was perfect for the role. It's been almost a decade in waiting but we finally got our man. Mr Farrell has written a poem for the fans on this historic day

I will arise and go now, to Goodison

A wooden box, of MDF and cladding made

Nine pints of lager i will have there, amber like the honey bee

And live alone in the glades of Omskirk

I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slowly

Dropping from the veils of the morning, and escape the boos the people sing

There midnight is a glimmer, and noon a frosty glow

and evenings living under tar pooling, praying not to be seen.

Yeah. On the BBC Sport the main story was a Frenchman leaving a Spanish club and a Russian not being allowed into the country. They really are of no interest to anyone outside Country Road and a few caravan parks in North Wales.

The Esk thinks that they are on the verge of world domination because they've given a few people different job titles on the board.

Please tell me someone has a Times subscription and would be kind enough to post the rest of this...

There was a reason why at the start of Everton’s initial managerial search, those days in between Ronald Koeman’s sacking and prior to Sam Allardyce appointment, Diego Simeone was discussed as a possible candidate by the powers-that-be.

The link was greeted with predictable guffawing in the predictable places — why would El Cholo consider Everton? — yet feelers were put out in the hope of somehow pulling off a surprise appointment.

Simeone has remained out of reach, of course, and yet his body of work remains the reference point.

There are those in the new-look Goodison Park hierarchy who believe Everton should be the Atletico Madrid of the Premier League, a label presumably demanding a team that plays with attitude, a club that is united behind the cause, is savvy in the transfer market and manages to regularly upset the natural order.

In other words, a philosophy far removed from what the club had become by the end of Allardyce’s brief reign and an insight into why he was not retained despite the statistical improvement of lifting Everton from 13th to eighth.

It is a bold vision, easy to dream up but more difficult to deliver, and one which serves to underline the scale of the task facing Marco Silva now that he has been confirmed as the club’s fourth permanent manager since May 2016.

Players who have worked with Silva speak highly of him. They chronicle his obsessive attention to detail, with and without the ball, a penchant for pace out wide (which should offer Ademola Lookman an opportunity if his head and heart is not already in RB Leipzig following his loan spell in Germany) and an ambitious outlook that says the best teams are not unbeatable.

“I know what our fans expect — they expect results but not only results,” said Silva, who has signed a three-year contract. “I want our fans to be proud when they see our team on the pitch. I want them to feel that we are committed, that we are working hard and enjoying our football because that is important as well.

“We want to build a great connection between the squad and the fans, and I’m sure that with our attitude and demands of commitment then our style of play will see that.

“Everton is a really ambitious club and that is what I want. What we are seeing now are good changes at the club. The club is changing its approach. But one thing we cannot change and nobody wants to change is the huge history and ambition of the club.

“Everybody knows Everton’s history. When you are a club like Everton, you only have one solution — to aim to win. In football it is impossible to win every match but we must do everything to show in every game that we have ambition.

“That is what I want and I’m sure we will show that every single week.”

Shaping the modern history of a club without silverware since 1995 is now the task in hand.

Everton’s interest in Silva dates back to November and he remains subject of an official tapping up complaint by Watford that is now likely to require Premier League arbitration to resolve.

He fits the “modern coach” criteria Marcel Brands, Everton’s new director of football, outlined last week and which feels a more substantial brief than the desire for a “Hollywood manager” that led to the recruitment of Koeman as Roberto Martínez’s replacement.

The 40-year-old arrives with plenty to prove, having won just 16 of his 48 games in England during brief spells with Hull City and Watford. His assistant manager João Pedro, Hugo Olivera, the goalkeeping coach, Antonis Lemonakis, the technical scout, and Pedro Conceicao, the fitness coach, will join him, while Duncan Ferguson is set to remain on the staff.

And so if Everton’s new power structure, in which Farhad Moshiri, the major shareholder, wields all of the influence, is serious about the club becoming the “Atletico of England” then they are on trial, too.

Money has to be made available for overhauling a squad lacking in quality and, crucially, personality at a time when Everton are already seeking to borrow £220 million to go with a £280 milion Liverpool City Council loan to fund a new stadium at Bramley Moore Dock.

Weeding out the weak and moving on the deadwood from Everton’s current squad will not raise untold riches. Efforts to sell Wayne Rooney behind his back are motivated by a desire to save money on his wages, while jettisoning the likes of Ashley Williams, Kevin Mirallas, Sandro Ramírez and Muhamed Besic will not raise much towards reinforcements.

Moshiri has already injected £150 million into the club through the company, BlueSky Capital, and now the informed talk is of a potential rights issue to raise further capital.

But most of all there must be a willingness to invest time — as well as funds — in Silva and look beyond the inevitable glitches in form which will prevail as the Portuguese looks to embed his way of thinking and playing.

The same is true of a supporter base that embraced Martínez and quickly grew tired, embraced Koeman and quickly grew tired and simply grew tired of Allardyce.

However, the lead must come from the very top. Otherwise, the only true similarity with Atletico will end up being the “hire ‘em-fire ‘em” mentality which was always so prevalent before Simone marched through the door seven years ago.

• Upvote 2

There are those in the new-look Goodison Park hierarchy who believe Everton should be the Atletico Madrid of the Premier League, a label presumably demanding a team that plays with attitude, a club that is united behind the cause, is savvy in the transfer market and manages to regularly upset the natural order.

In other words, a philosophy far removed from what the club had become by the end of Allardyce’s brief reign and an insight into why he was not retained despite the statistical improvement of lifting Everton from 13th to eighth.

It is a bold vision, easy to dream up but more difficult to deliver, and one which serves to underline the scale of the task facing Marco Silva now that he has been confirmed as the club’s fourth permanent manager since May 2016.

Players who have worked with Silva speak highly of him. They chronicle his obsessive attention to detail, with and without the ball, a penchant for pace out wide (which should offer Ademola Lookman an opportunity if his head and heart is not already in RB Leipzig following his loan spell in Germany) and an ambitious outlook that says the best teams are not unbeatable.

“I know what our fans expect — they expect results but not only results,” said Silva, who has signed a three-year contract. “I want our fans to be proud when they see our team on the pitch. I want them to feel that we are committed, that we are working hard and enjoying our football because that is important as well.

“We want to build a great connection between the squad and the fans, and I’m sure that with our attitude and demands of commitment then our style of play will see that.

“Everton is a really ambitious club and that is what I want. What we are seeing now are good changes at the club. The club is changing its approach. But one thing we cannot change and nobody wants to change is the huge history and ambition of the club.

“Everybody knows Everton’s history. When you are a club like Everton, you only have one solution — to aim to win. In football it is impossible to win every match but we must do everything to show in every game that we have ambition.

“That is what I want and I’m sure we will show that every single week.”

Shaping the modern history of a club without silverware since 1995 is now the task in hand.

Everton’s interest in Silva dates back to November and he remains subject of an official tapping up complaint by Watford that is now likely to require Premier League arbitration to resolve.

He fits the “modern coach” criteria Marcel Brands, Everton’s new director of football, outlined last week and which feels a more substantial brief than the desire for a “Hollywood manager” that led to the recruitment of Koeman as Roberto Martínez’s replacement.

The 40-year-old arrives with plenty to prove, having won just 16 of his 48 games in England during brief spells with Hull City and Watford. His assistant manager João Pedro, Hugo Olivera, the goalkeeping coach, Antonis Lemonakis, the technical scout, and Pedro Conceicao, the fitness coach, will join him, while Duncan Ferguson is set to remain on the staff.

And so if Everton’s new power structure, in which Farhad Moshiri, the major shareholder, wields all of the influence, is serious about the club becoming the “Atletico of England” then they are on trial, too.

Money has to be made available for overhauling a squad lacking in quality and, crucially, personality at a time when Everton are already seeking to borrow £220 million to go with a £280 milion Liverpool City Council loan to fund a new stadium at Bramley Moore Dock.

Weeding out the weak and moving on the deadwood from Everton’s current squad will not raise untold riches. Efforts to sell Wayne Rooney behind his back are motivated by a desire to save money on his wages, while jettisoning the likes of Ashley Williams, Kevin Mirallas, Sandro Ramírez and Muhamed Besic will not raise much towards reinforcements.

Moshiri has already injected £150 million into the club through the company, BlueSky Capital, and now the informed talk is of a potential rights issue to raise further capital.

But most of all there must be a willingness to invest time — as well as funds — in Silva and look beyond the inevitable glitches in form which will prevail as the Portuguese looks to embed his way of thinking and playing.

The same is true of a supporter base that embraced Martínez and quickly grew tired, embraced Koeman and quickly grew tired and simply grew tired of Allardyce.

However, the lead must come from the very top. Otherwise, the only true similarity with Atletico will end up being the “hire ‘em-fire ‘em” mentality which was always so prevalent before Simone marched through the door seven years ago.

Nice one mate, repped.

Trying to sell their top scorer to save on his wages.  Rights issue.  £280M council loan.  Looking for a further £220M loan.

Screaming of a rich benefactor that lot is.

• Upvote 2