You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

I'll start with a clarifying statement that I'm not in the slightest bit arsed if they get a new stadium or not. Everton will still play there. And it'll still be full of biffs. And, I'm happy with our lot. I never wanted us to leave Anfield anyway.

I can't see the Commonwealth Games decision having much effect on their new ground. They'd announced the site, funding details etc before Durban pulled out of hosting the CG's anyway.

I think the only thing that might change is that Moshiri etc need to start showing it's a serious project now. The CG BIrmingham decision means that the stadium won't need a running track now. There's nothing holding back the progression of the stadium project now.

So, the pressure is on for Moshiri now to purchase the land, show some plans and secure the funding etc as, following his weird Sky Jim White interview and their failures to get the players in that they wanted during the closing stages of the transfer window, the blues might start to get restless if there's no tangible and visible progress on the stadium.

They're starting to voice concerns over Moshiri. It'll only get worse if there's no progress on the new ground.

• Upvote 1

They will still probably build a ground but any chance of them bumming it for free has gone, they cannot back down now or they will be shown up for what they are. They will pay the council the loan and the premium and like it or they will be a laughing stock.

They deffo thought they would swing it for nowt with the CW games though, now they will have to pay the loan and stay in the PL for 40 years.

I think the regeneration of what is essentially a waste ground was intrinsic to the bid, that was the councils bit. Not now, infrastructure and regeneration is a bit more difficult to pitch to the public now if there is no bid. Tax payers money going towars a billionaire vanity project.

If they fund it. Build it, fine. But public money should be kept to a minimum.

I think they were still relying on the games before Durban pulled out as they were looking at the 2026 games but then this brought it forward 4 years.

Still have no idea how they will pay for it as there is a lot of work to even put the foundations in place before they start building anything. Thy might get a loan from the council but they may struggle to keep up with the payments as they were projexted to be over 45 years. I still reckon Moshiri was banking on getting a free stadium which is why they were such an attractive proposition to him.

If this falls through I can't see them ever moving as they have already had 3 sites identified before this and all have come to nothing. Goodison can't be redeveloped apart from rebuilding the park end but the other 3 stands are really out of date with no modern facilities.

Honestly I think you're daft if you think that not getting the CW games has no impact on this. If the games were awarded here a stadium would have absolutely guaranteed to be built. This is now (almost) a completely privately funded affair. The only hand the council have got in it is the guaranteeing the loan. We've seen how difficult it is to get a new stadium built. These clowns don't even fill their current one. It's a complete pipe dream. I'd be shocked if it even got past the planning stages.

• Upvote 3