You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Umunna & Hunt?

The labour party is fucked if either of those two get in.

Blue Labour?

Fuck right off.

I just heard someone suggest on the news that Labour needs to shift more to the left to win an election. Yet another misguided person who think people voted tory because Labour was proposing policies that were not left enough.

When will these people ever realise?

The corpse isn't even cold yet and you already have Blair and Chuka already explaining that the best way to address the failure to throw off the blair taint is to re-embrace it. Oh dear

Well if we're using analogies, there isnt a corpse. Just a body that's under the weather.

To be honest,the control of the media is now so absolute that it wouldn't really matter who the leader was,they would still struggle to be able to persuade voters to vote for them,it just wouldn't be allowed to happen on any real scale.

In my many hours of gloom since Thursday I have to say that the cunt, Thatcher, really played a blinder,or at least her advisors did,because although people are focused on her breaking the Unions under the excuse of 'too much power' the actual reason has become much clearer over the last few elections. The real reason,I suspect,was to cut off the financial backing of the Labour Party by cutting their donations from Unions,who have lost millions of members since the 1980s. The only significant funding involves going cap in hand to the same people who back the Tories in return for much the same things.It's most likely why Blair's government was so right wing,maybe it simply had to be?

I just cant see anyway back for anything even approaching centre left politics and it sickens me as the country has become as didvided as it did under Thatcher and the Tories 'divide and conquer' strategy has worked a fuckin treat.

• Upvote 3

I just heard someone suggest on the news that Labour needs to shift more to the left to win an election. Yet another misguided person who think people voted tory because Labour was proposing policies that were not left enough.

When will these people ever realise?

Totally agree. There are two absolute prerequisites for winning a British election (note the words "British" and "winning" - I'm not on about taking most of the seats in just one region): economic credibility and a convincing message of aspiration. Labour had neither in this last election and Blair had both - three times on the bounce!

If Labour try to become a left wing party again they will be committing electoral suicide. They need to convincingly occupy the centre left to get back into government.

• Upvote 2

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't think left or right matters as much as people think. A youthful, likable, guy with rhetoric and oratory skill is going to be very important.

• Upvote 2

I don't think left or right matters as much as people think. A youthful, likable, guy with rhetoric and oratory skill is going to be very important.

Correct, Cameron is their Blair, without him they'd be fucked. Dan Jarvis vs 'good old Boris' would be ace.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Labour needs its own Boris.

Sad but true

Why? For me, the last thing it needs is a massive spastic. 

• Upvote 2