You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Yeh but dont moan about us not having wingers then paint it like United would be signing one in Nasri when he isnt one.

He'd have him playing centre mid replacing Scholes I reckon.

I'm not moaning really, just a bit gutted they'd be getting another decent player that can play on the wing if he went there. I can't see him playing center mid either, so we'll have to agree to disagree. I just think Nasri is way more comfortable and effective on the left.

Also that Utd often being good on the wings is something that's grated at me for a while, Slur seems to place a lot of importance on those areas.

Good point on the Nani to Young transition. At best it would be a wash. They also downgraded drastically from Ronaldo to Nani.

Really not sure how you think Sunderland would stump 15+ on Jonny Evans though.

I don't think they *actually* will but wouldn't rule out Bruce stumping up a fortune for one of their rejects at all and if Ngog is worth 7 million then why not?!

People are upset because Jones is potentially world class and he has chosen to sign for the Mancs to sit on the bench, will he really replace Ferdinand or Vidic? Additionally that average centre back at Birmingham might be the alternative! If it's Sakho no problem :-)

What's all this United-based fear and such bollocks?

What's to be scared of? They've dominated for so long because they could spend more and also had some top youth talent.

Ummm, seems a pretty good description of us right now?

I don't care if they get Jones, it's NOT a big deal. It's not like we're going to go hungry, we're going to find another player AS good if not better, or even a LOT better.

We're growing stronger, we're a unit unified by a King, and we're buying up the best of the best.

We drink your milkshake.

Pep Guardiola has apparently said :

Pep Guardiola declaro "la academia del Liverpool es la unica que puede competirle a "La Masia" del Barcelona FC."

Pep Guardiola declared "the Liverpool Academy is the only one that can compete

"La Masia" of FC Barcelona. "

Quoted on a US ESPN twitter account. Couldn't be arsed starting a thread so it's in here. Nice to hear!

Respect Pep!

Our youth system that had produced the grand total of 0 players in years, prior to last season? Is that the one he's on about? Comparable with the youth system that won the world cup?

Is Pep on holiday in Amsterdam? I don't doubt that Rafa put a lot of things in place to ensure we will be up there in the future, namely by recruiting the Barcelona youth coaching team, but to say that now is more premature than me having a wriggle on Emma Watson.

If it's that good, he won't mind coming to manage us in a few years when Kenny calls it quits.

Our youth system that had produced the grand total of 0 players in years, prior to last season? Is that the one he's on about? Comparable with the youth system that won the world cup?

Is Pep on holiday in Amsterdam? I don't doubt that Rafa put a lot of things in place to ensure we will be up there in the future, namely by recruiting the Barcelona youth coaching team, but to say that now is more premature than me having a wriggle on Emma Watson.

If it's that good, he won't mind coming to manage us in a few years when Kenny calls it quits.

what a fucking bulb !

what a fucking bulb !

Excellent post.

Care to point out where I was wrong in any of that? Or are you just happy to throw names around? If you are only happy to throw names around, then you've joined the right thread.

Aye. Pretty much spot on.

I'm not sure in what sense Pep mentioned us - whether its the facilities or about producing players. If its the former, I agree with Pep. If its the latter, I agree, Pep must have been in a cafe in Amsterdam.

You're right in that currently our academy hasn't really produced a star since Steven Gerrard. But as you point out things are 100% better now than they were 2 years ago and, if the quotes are legit, it's very promising to see recognition and praise from someone as qualified as Guardiola.

Where's he wrong?

Oh no, he's definitely right. But by quoting my post, it sort of intimates that he has a problem with what I've written. If he'd just written "Horus is a bulb", then I wouldn't be asking for a follow up, and I would have finished my reply at excellent post.

This qualifier is the sticking point for me.

A good youth system is about farming, not hunting and we really only began doing that about three of four years ago at the level we are talking about.

So in three years time our first crop has come to market last season and there are some very promising players. Behind them we have another wave who are touted to be even better.

Where's he wrong?

I don't know whether Pep said it or not - but I would guess he is talking about the current structure we have in place.

The amount of graduates we have had from the Academy of late, is surely a reflection on the past structure, not the present.

This qualifier is the sticking point for me.

A good youth system is about farming, not hunting and we really only began doing that about three of four years ago at the level we are talking about.

So in three years time our first crop has come to market last season and there are some very promising players. Behind them we have another wave who are touted to be even better.

I wasn't slagging any one at the club or Pep, off. I was just trying to emphasise that it's a little unfounded at this stage.

If we're looking at farming then Barcelona planted their seeds about 10-15 years ago to get to where they are now.

I genuinely think we're heading in the right direction, and I have no concerns with what we are doing at youth level - certainly whilst the current youth team is in place. We all love praise and hearing how awesome we are, but everyone needs a grumpy cunt like me to come along and piss on some chips, by pointing out where I think the points are wrong.

SkyGraemeBailey Graeme Bailey

I can confirm Sunderland have bid for Wes Brown, Darron Gibson and John O'Shea #mufc #safc

@SkyGraemeBailey Graeme Bailey

Bid is worth £12million in total and has been accepted from what I believe. #safc #mufc

Graeme Bailey

#AVFC have made preliminary enquiries over Rafa Benitez, stay tuned to skysports.com...

SkyGraemeBailey Graeme Bailey

I can confirm Sunderland have bid for Wes Brown, Darron Gibson and John O'Shea #mufc #safc

Bid is worth £12million in total and has been accepted from what I believe. #safc #mufc

Graeme Bailey

#AVFC have made preliminary enquiries over Rafa Benitez, stay tuned to skysports.com...

Pretty much a free Phil Jones for those cunts, paid for by an ex player.