You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great intervew. It would be a tragedy if Carra isn't given a chance to manage us one day.

It's been said of Guardiola that his Barca side reflects the way he himself played the game. How many on here would dream about a Liverpool side reflecting the way Carra plays his?:whistle:

Don't worry, this isn't a "He's past it thread". The guy is still the best defender we have.

However he's got to remember that defending isn't his only responsibility. He's also partly responsible for us keeping hold of the ball and he failed massively in the part of the game today. Far too many hopeful balls. If there is no option ahead of you, then go back to the keeper and start again.

I know he's never going to be Beckenbauer but he just needs to make sure he doesn't cost us possession too much in these games.

No he fuckin isn't,

He's a fuckin joke on the ball

I would think Carra deserves a little more respect than the last couple of comments here show him.

I'm all for phasing him out, but you'd have to be respectful in voicing those opinions, some stuff here are bang out of order.

I will say this though, if he did claim distribution is one of his stronger attributes, then that's pretty ridiculous. A player has to know his weaknesses. It's little wonder that he keeps hoofing the ball even when under no pressure if he thinks that it's a good bit of play.

I'm all for phasing him out, but you'd have to be respectful in voicing those opinions, some stuff here are bang out of order.

I will say this though, if he did claim distribution is one of his stronger attributes, then that's pretty ridiculous. .

Really?

Paragraph two completely undermines paragraph one.

I will say this though, if he did claim distribution is one of his stronger attributes, then that's pretty ridiculous. A player has to know his weaknesses. It's little wonder that he keeps hoofing the ball even when under no pressure if he thinks that it's a good bit of play.

Gave away possession 9 times today when playing it long. More giveaways than Stoke's entire back 4 combined. It's alright when we're playing the big sides but it's disgracefully poor against a Stoke.

We won't make the top 4 if he ends the season as a guaranteed starter.

Drop him then John. Fuck off.

Why not,

were not talking Franz Beckenbaur or Alan Hansen here are we.

Carragher is no different to any other player, he's judge on performances.

Do you think if Lucas made the same mistakes he'd get the same leniency?

Not a fuckin chance,

take the blinkers off,

Carragher as been on the wane for 18 months

I would think Carra deserves a little more respect than the last couple of comments here show him.

Yet seemingly half the posters on here would have him as our next manager.

He earnt his place in the team for many years with dogged determination and perseverance. In my opinion he's no longer a top 6 defender. It's getting like Sol Campbell or even Gary Neville where his weaknesses are far more exposed as age catches up with him.

In the way he earnt his place in the team for all those years, he should earn any position as coach or manager. There should be no entitlement at LFC. No player is bigger than the club.

We should ship him out to Everton to finish his career.

I'm not being funny but would he get in their team at the moment? Distin and Jagielka are a solid partnership. Would he get in Stoke's team? Woodgate, Huth and Shawcross are solid CB's and a big aerial threat in both penalty areas.

He certainly wouldn't get in any other top 6 team, so why should he play every Liverpool game if we're looking at being in the top 4? If he's the best we've got then we should be adjusting our expectations.

We should ship him out to Everton to finish his career.

Lovely that. Welcome to the site. Glad you joined.

I'm not being funny but would he get in their team at the moment? Distin and Jagielka are a solid partnership. Would he get in Stoke's team? Woodgate, Huth and Shawcross are solid CB's and a big aerial threat in both penalty areas.

He certainly wouldn't get in any other top 6 team, so why should he play every Liverpool game if we're looking at being in the top 4? If he's the best we've got then we should be adjusting our expectations.

Behave yourself, Ritchie.

Yes, he'd get in most Premier League sides. And he's in ours on merit.

I'm not for one minute saying he's as good as he was 2 years ago, but he's still better than at least two of our centre backs, and better than plenty you've mentioned above.

The block against Torres, was that February 2008? Or about 6 months ago?

No, I don't like those crossfield floated balls either, but when it comes to positioning and reading the game, there's few better. Two mistakes (the first of which he actually made up for with a tackle which unfortunately fell to their player, the second of which although he got caught wrong side, again tackled back and it could be argued was fouled) does not make him worthy of "shipping him out" to anyone, never mind Everton. He's not a discarded chip tray.

He certainly has enough to make me still have faith in him.

Behave yourself, Ritchie.

Yes, he'd get in most Premier League sides. And he's in ours on merit.

I'm not for one minute saying he's as good as he was 2 years ago, but he's still better than at least two of our centre backs, and better than plenty you've mentioned above.

The block against Torres, was that February 2008? Or about 6 months ago?

No, I don't like those crossfield floated balls either, but when it comes to positioning and reading the game, there's few better. Two mistakes (the first of which he actually made up for with a tackle which unfortunately fell to their player, the second of which although he got caught wrong side, again tackled back and it could be argued was fouled) does not make him worthy of "shipping him out" to anyone, never mind Everton. He's not a discarded chip tray.

He certainly has enough to make me still have faith in him.

He was excellent at Chelsea but they're the games he excels in. In games when we need to defend higher up the pitch and keep the pressure on the opposition, I really don't see what he offers. We have to defend deeper with him in the team because he can't get back quick enough. And his distribution is shite.

He did well to get that contract because he's on about 90k a week when he's no longer a top 6 player. He should only be used in certain games for me because we need to be looking to dominate games.

Name one top 6 team he'd get in?

I think Sami was playing at a higher level than Carra is at the moment when he began to be phased out of the side. It's really something we have to face sooner rather than later.

And Hyypia wasn't so much phased out, he was rested for games when he'd be more needed because he didn't have the legs to play every game. That went back to 04/05 when he was rested for league games (when we had to play Pellegrino) to save him for CL games where he was outstanding.

But until now Carragher still plays every game. For me 2-3 years ago he should have been rotated like Hyypia was. He might not have liked it (on record as saying he'd leave if wasn't playing every game) but it should have happened by now. Agger's injury problems and the lack of an adequate replacement for Sami have helped him but even when everyone's fit he's still been the first name on the team sheet every week.

How can people still say that Carragher is the best centre back at the club? What criteria are they actually using to make such a statement? It can't surely be the performances he's been making on the pitch this season, or the past two for that matter.

His distribution has never been great, he's always been in the team as an ultimate stopper and an organiser. If he's not actually stopping goals anymore, I'd rather have the younger lads learn to carry their own water and get a bit more football developing from the back of the pitch. Sacrilege, I know.

You can't have a rational discussion about this now, the rats have been gnawing away at him for over two years and they will get their way eventually. Street parties 'aots'...

Any decent red would be wandering why the merest of touches and most ludicrous of falls results in a penalty, while handballs go unpunished and Carroll only has to breath on someone to be penalised while he's wrestled left right and centre with impunity, but guess what the big topic is?

I'll trust Kenny on this one, and not whining spiteful twats who spat their dummy out years ago and still scweam and scweam to have someone shove it back in.

How can people still say that Carragher is the best centre back at the club? What criteria are they actually using to make such a statement? It can't surely be the performances he's been making on the pitch this season, or the past two for that matter.

His distribution has never been great, he's always been in the team as an ultimate stopper and an organiser. If he's not actually stopping goals anymore, I'd rather have the younger lads learn to carry their own water and get a bit more football developing from the back of the pitch. Sacrilege, I know.

I think the main one is the myth that Carragher 'organises the defence' and that our defenders would have no clue, apparently, where to go if Carragher wasn't playing. Like good players, like Agger, need to be told where to position themselves or something.

You can't have a rational discussion about this now, the rats have been gnawing away at him for over two years and they will get their way eventually. Street parties 'aots'...

Any decent red would be wandering why the merest of touches and most ludicrous of falls results in a penalty, while handballs go unpunished and Carroll only has to breath on someone to be penalised while he's wrestled left right and centre with impunity, but guess what the big topic is?

I'll trust Kenny on this one, and not whining spiteful twats who spat their dummy out years ago and still scweam and scweam to have someone shove it back in.

That's fucking pathetic.