You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gym Beglin

Gabrielle Marcotti spitting feathers on Twitter because loads of people said they voted for Xabi Alonso in the Balon D'Or but actually meant to vote for Xavi.

Columbia's captain, Mario Yepes, insists he voted for Xavi but his vote is down as Xabi.

Fucking brilliant.

But, anyway, really interesting read to see which people voted for who in the awards.

http://karllusbec.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/ballondor_award_men_player_finalx.pdf

As wonderful as Messi was, I think Xavi was the heart of the two best teams in 2010, whereas Messi was only in one. For that, I would have voted for Xavi.

Footballers in being thick as pig shit shocker. You only need to look at Van Bommel to see this illustrated.

As good as Xabi was for us and is for Franco's boys he is not and never will be in the class of Xavi. Several barge poles gap between them for me. I rate Xavi as being a better player than Zidane and right up there with Messi in terms of quality and he has been a top player consistently for years now.

I wonder who Van Bommel voted for? His first two votes being ineligible, one can only imagine he was either taking the piss or voting for a Holland or Bayern team-mate not on the list.

Mario Yepes voted Xabi Alonso as player of the year, Park Ji Sung had him second, Chris Katongo of Zambia voted him first, D Chandrasiri of Sri Lanka voted him first, and the media of DR Congo had him first. What an epic fail.

Other notworthy voting...

Sami Hyypia's picks were Puyol (1), Schweinsteiger (2), and Forlan (3).

Iker Casillas voted for Arjen Robben as the winner.

Bert Van Marwijk's first place vote was invalid.

Vicente Del Bosque (Spain manager) did not have a single Spain player in his top 3, which read Messi, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger.

And, finally, honrouable mention to Henry Winter who had neither Messi or Xavi in his top 3. What an epic fuck face of a "me, me, me" journalist.

Footballers in being thick as pig shit shocker. You only need to look at Van Bommel to see this illustrated.

As good as Xabi was for us and is for Franco's boys he is not and never will be in the class of Xavi. Several barge poles gap between them for me. I rate Xavi as being a better player than Zidane and right up there with Messi in terms of quality and he has been a top player consistently for years now.

Yeah Xavi is outstanding. Awesome footballer. Sorry Xabi but Xavi is a much better footballer.

Maybe some of these players actually thought Xabi deserved it. Is that completely out of the question?

I mean, if there are some players voting for Mesut Ozil, then Xabi has every right to be getting some votes.

Except that these players have come out and said they didn't mean to vote for Xabi. Much ado about nothing anyway imo. If these idiots can't even spell Xavi right then what does Marcotti want FIFA to do? Ring up everyone who voted for Xabi and ask them if they meant Xavi? No, so shut up whinging you bloated twat.

Well if you look through that list you will see that Norway are not on that list, because FIFA have lost their votes for the men.

They were able to register the Norwegian women coach and captains votes but not for the men, Hangeland voted Messi by the way.

Cant find Argentina either.

Only the certifiably insane are going to vote for Xabi Alonso ahead of Xavi.

Mind you, the entire voting process is a joke. Lots of ballots going missing and the like.

Different kind of players.

Why would anyone vote for a defender or a keeper going with this kind of twisted logic?

I`d say that Alonso by far is the best in the world at what he does, if someone think these things are important enough to vote for him as player of the year then I cant see anything wrong with that.

Guest PurpleNose

And, finally, honrouable mention to Henry Winter who had neither Messi or Xavi in his top 3. What an epic fuck face of a "me, me, me" journalist.

Who did he pick?

Rooney, Lampard and Hodgson?

I wonder who Van Bommel voted for? His first two votes being ineligible, one can only imagine he was either taking the piss or voting for a Holland or Bayern team-mate not on the list.

Mario Yepes voted Xabi Alonso as player of the year, Park Ji Sung had him second, Chris Katongo of Zambia voted him first, D Chandrasiri of Sri Lanka voted him first, and the media of DR Congo had him first. What an epic fail.

Other notworthy voting...

Sami Hyypia's picks were Puyol (1), Schweinsteiger (2), and Forlan (3).

Iker Casillas voted for Arjen Robben as the winner.

Bert Van Marwijk's first place vote was invalid.

Vicente Del Bosque (Spain manager) did not have a single Spain player in his top 3, which read Messi, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger.

He voted for Snjider and Robben. And said he'd of done exactly the same even if he knew they were ineligible.

I see that Yossi voted for Drogba, Alonso and Messi, do people think he meant to vote for Xavi as well?

Surprised he did not vote for Alonso as number one considering how much he probably felt we missed him last year.

Yossi can fuck off, firstly.

Secondly, he's gone the old team-mate/friend route and it happens a lot if you look at the results.

But seriously, Alonso was quite average last year compared with his final year here, and how many nominations did he get then? Right.

Drogba...check, Alonso...check, I'm just surprised he didn't give third place to Ben Haim as opposed to Messi.

Honestly, if you're going to acknowledge Messi is one of the top three players in the World, then you'd better pick two better players than him if you don't want to look fucking stupid.

But everyone's entitled to their vote!

as far as I'm concerned the only centre midfielder in the world I'd take over Xabi would be Iniesta, if this squad had Xabi (and had never had Roy) we'd win the league

since when did the captains vote for it anyway I always thought it was the managers?

how embarrassing to have a tit like Ferdinand making our countries choices, if its going to be players choosing the whole squad should decide inbetween them, I know they're all thick as pigshit but at least it'd be a collective opinion