You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we use Babel as a striker?

WhiskeyJar

Should we use Babel as a stiker?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should we use Babel as a stiker?

According to him we will:

Babel: How I'll repay Roy - Liverpool FC

Ryan Babel today revealed how Roy Hodgson has assured him he will get more playing time in his favoured striking position - and the Dutchman is determined to repay the boss by realising his full potential.

Related Links

* Babel Shirt

* Babel Search

* Babel Profile

The 23-year-old believes the arrival of the new manager has presented him with a fresh opportunity to showcase his talents at Anfield.

It is a chance he is eager to grasp with both hands, though he is well aware training hard at Melwood is the first step on the road towards a regular first-team berth.

"It's clear when a new manager comes in, everyone's chances are equal again with others," Babel told Liverpoolfc.tv. "It is positive for me and maybe everybody who was in a difficult situation.

"I hope this is a chance for me to establish myself, but the first test for me is to work hard in every training session and try to show what I can do. In the end, it is the manager's decision if he uses me or not.

"I am very confident and positive - I feel well and have been training well. Hopefully it is just a matter of time before I can get some confidence back to finally show everybody what I can do."

Babel was deployed in his preferred position of striker by Hodgson in the first leg of last month's Europa League qualifier against Trabzonspor at Anfield - and he claimed the only goal of the game with a clinically-taken effort on the stroke of half-time.

While keen to prove his worth in the role, the Holland international knows with Fernando Torres in the ranks he may not always get the opportunity to play up front.

Nonetheless, with Liverpool competing on four fronts, Babel is optimistic of establishing himself as a key component in Hodgson's blueprint for success.

"The manager has told me he would like to use me up front more than normal, so hopefully that will give me enough chance to show how much I like that position," he said.

"I was very pleased to hear this. I have always said my ambition was to play in that position, but at the same time I am very realistic.

"Fernando is very important for the club and he will always be our No.9, but you know you can also be very important for the club too if you are used well.

"It will be a long season and we will need every player. Hopefully I can give the confidence and the trust back to the club that they have shown in me."

He added: "The only thing you ask for as a player is for a fair chance, then you know what you can do.

"There are different opinions about what a fair chance is. Some people will say one game or 15 minutes is a fair chance, but I think every player needs a couple of games in a row to get used to the players and the pace of the game to adapt and show what they can do. That is the same for me."

A feel-good factor has reverberated around Melwood since Hodgson's arrival - and Babel believes the changes made by Liverpool during a busy summer are having the desired effect.

He said: "It's going very well. It's been great working with the new manager and staff. There are also some new players who have come in and the mood within group is wonderful.

"I think the way of playing has been changed a little bit and the new manager has a bit of a different vision to the former manager.

"I think that is maybe what Liverpool needed - a different change. It's very positive.

"I am very excited. Like I said, a lot has changed since the new manager has come in. We have new physios, new staff and new players - everything is new. We've also changed some rules and I think it is working positively for the group."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Babel is a serial underachiever and will only ever flourish if he gets his head right and realises he needs to work hard to be successful, not wait for it to fall in his lap. We don't have a lot of choice for the position of backup for Torres, with Ngog a massive step down in class and Kuyt hard working but uninspiring, but Babel still hardly stands out as a clear choice even so. I wonder just how many chances he should be given when he's spurned so many already? He's not good enough to demand where he plays and has never shown any inclination to knuckle down and make the effort required to play for Liverpool. The manager can't have all that much confidence in him if he was prepared to offload him on deadline day to get Carlton Cole, so I don't see him as anything but a choice forced by a lack of other options.

The manager can't have all that much confidence in him if he was prepared to offload him on deadline day to get Carlton Cole, so I don't see him as anything but a choice forced by a lack of other options.

Let's just hope it has a Xabi Alonso effect, and he has the season of his life.

He has all the right attributes and physique to be one of the world's top players, yet he's not very good for some reason.

Babel is the engima within our team for me. You can see the talent, but you also fancy he has got bilharzia.

I'd give him a shot of playing up front or where he wants, with a decent run of games, just to see if its a confidence thing. He strikes me a confidence player and lets face it the stop start career here hasn't helped. I must also add he hasn't helped himself, but before we cut our losses I'd love to see that theory tested.

I don't want to ever see him on the left wing again. He's always done ok or even brilliant played upfront though, granted this has only been about 3 times.

Give him the same chance Ngog has got upfront and then we can judge him. Ngog for me will never be good enough. He shouldn't even be playing for a premiership side nevermind one with eyes on the top 4.

I don't want to ever see him on the left wing again. He's always done ok or even brilliant played upfront though, granted this has only been about 3 times.

Give him the same chance Ngog has got upfront and then we can judge him. Ngog for me will never be good enough. He shouldn't even be playing for a premiership side nevermind one with eyes on the top 4.

Bit harsh that on ngog, I think he's decent and has improved each year

I've seen babel play 1 brilliant game, reebok stadium 2 years ago we won 3-0, it was literally a breath taking performance he was that good, they changed fullback at halftime didn't make a differance.

He was decent at home to Real also

I wonder what he'd be like playing behind torres

I've seen babel play 1 brilliant game, reebok stadium 2 years ago we won 3-0, it was literally a breath taking performance he was that good, they changed fullback at halftime didn't make a differance.

He was decent at home to Real also

I wonder what he'd be like playing behind torres

Nah I can't see it working out, him in the hole. To be lazy about it I'll just say he doesn't have the brain.

I wouldn't mind seeing him on the right but him/Johnson would be a defensive nightmare.

Touch of the Collymores.

Too harsh :D

On a more serious note I really don't think he has been given enough chances. He hasn't started 3 games in a row for us yet, and compare that with the trust shown in a guy like Lucas (3rd most capped player last season) and you get the perspective. I also fail to see how N'Gog (who I rate somehow) has impressed more to keep Babel out of the team - perhaps he works harder in training, but in my humble opinion I would give any player capable of doing (for instance) what Babel did away vs Lyon a bit more trust - even though he might be worse than shite at times (like Lucas and N'Gog are, without the potential).

Serious note, he'd flourish being a striker.

Yeah, he's thick, but that's why he can't be a clever nippy winger, because he'd struggle to get past players. He's clearly shown he has an eye for the goal, so just lump him up front. Give him the ball and I'd guarantee he'd score goals.

He's our new Cisse. Thick as shit and couldn't read a game, but, he could score for fun if you gave him the ball.

Those comments are very promising. Last season, we were often very rigid and lacking in tactical flexibility. If our manager is more adventurous in terms of both personnel and approach then I think we can have a strong season. Babel, I think, would be served by playing alongside, I'm not at all confident in his ability to retain possession, which is a must.