You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where will we finish?

JohnnyH

Where will we finish?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People seem a lot more optimistic for some reason, so I thought I’d ask this question.

Where do you think we’ll finish come next May?

A new Gaffer always freshens things up - Rafa's old picture behind his manager's desk of a Spanish flag with the words 'I love me' is now history. The new picture behind Hodgson's desk has the same wording, but it's a Union Jack !

and I'll pick up my guitar and play..just like yesterday....

Yeah fuck it I think we'll be Champions this season.

Voted 3rd on the back of me being an optimist and the fact I think we will win every game we play before we play it.

I think Arsenal will lose Fabregas and have a difficult season, not impressed by their signings at all, the mancs will struggle a bit more this season as well because their old players gets one year closer to retirement and I dont think Rooney will be able to copy the season he had last year.

Tottenham will find it difficult both with CL football and to have another season above 70 points.

City? I really dont know, they look weak in central midfield and at the back to me so who knows.

Chelsea will win it again is my guess but if we can get 75 points something thats more than possible if we can keep Torres then I dont see any reason we cant get at least 3rd.

Our season last year was a disaster, we have now got a new manager, so I cant see the same thing happening again.

but as I say, even with us playing some of our worst football in a long, long time we were still within touching distance of them.

As for Arsenal, we'll see. I think we could finish above them, but it depends what happens with Fabregas and whether they can keep Van Persie fit.

Your logic is distorted by your anti-Rafa bias.

If as you admitted twice in that post that we were within a couple of points of 4th place with only a few games to play, then how could it be that it was our worst football in a long time?

Without your bias it should read, that despite a very bad start to the season due to Carragher's and Gerrard's poor form, despite the fact that all the Spanish internationals were not fully fit coming back from the European championship, despite the fact that Mascherano was out of sorts due to his World Cup travels and other problems, and despite the huge number of injuries (to 23 players) especially to Gerrard and Torres, and despite Torres long absence in the second half of the season which is when we should have been winning those extra few points you mentioned, the manager coaxed performances from a depleted squad that almost secured 4th place with only a few games to go.

I went for 5th as a worst case, disasterous season. I dont think that will happen though unless we sell Torres and dont reinvest the money.

We should be aiming for 3rd as a minimum though if we dont get any nasty surprises this summer (selling Torres / buying Heskey ect). Utd and Chelsea are favourites. Arsenal, Spurs and City are all there for the taking though in my opinion.

Everton would be my outside bet to mount a challenge for 4th if they can keep their players fit. Villa will do well to finish as high as last season.

why does everybody think they're being optimistic by going for fourth?

I'm going for first, like i do every year. I don't think Man City or Spurs will be up there challenging for the top places and arsenal will fall away again so that leaves us, chelsea and utd.

As the 3 squads go there isn't alot of difference between them. However, we've got the best goalie, the best center forward(when fit), the best midfielder(when fit). On top of that we have a more than able defence and top players to fill in the other positions i.e cole, maxi, aqua, jovanovic. If we can bring in a decent left back and decent cover for torres AND if we get a bit of luck with injuries etc. then there's no reason at all, i can think of, why we can't finish first.

United fans perspective! A lot higher than most anyone seems to be predicting.The only reason you failed last year was because imo Gerrard and a few others were on a downer from the season before when you could and possibley should have won the league.Joe Cole is a genius signing and he'll be inspired.Gerrard is staying and Hodgson will ensure 3rd....He won't be there for long but he's a breath of fresh air for you men.Torres? Is he gonna be fit? Does he want to stay? If so then higher than 3rd perhaps!! Yr 1st eleven matches anyones....Clever git Mr H! ...can't believe we did'nt go for Cole...

why does everybody think they're being optimistic by going for fourth?

I'm going for first, like i do every year. I don't think Man City or Spurs will be up there challenging for the top places and arsenal will fall away again so that leaves us, chelsea and utd.

As the 3 squads go there isn't alot of difference between them. However, we've got the best goalie, the best center forward(when fit), the best midfielder(when fit). On top of that we have a more than able defence and top players to fill in the other positions i.e cole, maxi, aqua, jovanovic. If we can bring in a decent left back and decent cover for torres AND if we get a bit of luck with injuries etc. then there's no reason at all, i can think of, why we can't finish first.

Hope your right mate, but think your deluded