You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

KOP TALKIN' WTF

Redexile

If Rafa had his way he would have sold him for £15M, thank God Parry was there to stop the madness.

Who did Houllier buy for £20M only to sell him 6 months later, who did Houllier buy for £20M who was injured and then never really played him when fit.

Easy this stuff.

What a fucking stupid argument.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else see it and know who the 3 wise men were? Two of them were OOT's with one of them piping up "Torres gave an interview in SA and said it was time for Rafa to go."

DId I miss this?

Lots of obsessive quote part of Torres statement to the effect that perhaps it was best for everyone that Rafa had gone because he had won everything and they asked too much of him last season. Not many are referring to his earlier statement when told of Rafa's going that "I have nothing but the greatest respect for Rafa".

Think they are obviously from the appeal for fans that the club put out a while back.

All the regulars that normally done the show have torn shreds out of the club and the people running it so now we are in official state controlled TV.

061020captioncomp_3.jpg

Lots of glass and stones flying round this thread.

Don't worry, next week's prog will be better.

Chippendales.jpeg

Serious question.Do you not think it was a hatchet job? How could they even sit there with straight faces and make those statements? Revisionism of the worst kind.

Full quotation...

a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage

And then is heard no more

It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

zzdti84145.jpg

Serious question.Do you not think it was a hatchet job? How could they even sit there with straight faces and make those statements? Revisionism of the worst kind.

Yeah, because you never find fans like that on LFC internet forums do you?

Oh hang on......

As for the Purslow this Purslow that brigade, that broadcast sounds dreadful. It's insulting to think there are Reds who were supportive of Rafa who will suddenly say "after watching that, I'm awfully glad he's gone now". That's never been my experience, especially on here!

So if Purslow is this fabulous at manipulation, how come he's involved in such a ham-fisted propaganda exercise? Sounds to me like the 'producer' has fucked up by getting three guests who all think the same thing, and not very well at that by the sounds of it. Can't have 'debate' if we all think alike.

That post's reference was to the rather personal remarks gathering pace through the thread about the lads in question. Great if you're all studs and style icons, like......

Yeah, because you never find fans like that on LFC internet forums do you?

Oh hang on......

As for the Purslow this Purslow that brigade, that broadcast sounds dreadful. It's insulting to think there are Reds who were supportive of Rafa who will suddenly say "after watching that, I'm awfully glad he's gone now". That's never been my experience, especially on here!

So if Purslow is this fabulous at manipulation, how come he's involved in such a ham-fisted propaganda exercise? Sounds to me like the 'producer' has fucked up by getting three guests who all think the same thing, and not very well at that by the sounds of it. Can't have 'debate' if we all think alike.

That post's reference was to the rather personal remarks gathering pace through the thread about the lads in question. Great if you're all studs and style icons, like......

They were auditioning some of these beauts in May Ste. One of them on the show is the manager of the Arkles.

I mean why audition for guests? They must be looking for certain characteristics I suppose.

Well, there's the problem. The people who said "Audition? You can fuck that right off" are probably the same people you'd want to listen to!

My point is that for propaganda purposes it's not as if there aren't any articulate fans who can explain why Rafa's time had come. As the OP correctly states once you're into the whole Houllier's Team/Penalties nonsense you've already antagonised Rafa's fans and annoyed anyone with genuine concerns about the previous manager.

Pointless exercise if it was planned, as a few here are suggesting. Maybe it is gross incompetence, which actually ought to make the Purslow-haters pleased because it would indicate he's utterly shit at this Machiavellian lark.

Maybe it is gross incompetence, which actually ought to make the Purslow-haters pleased because it would indicate he's utterly shit at this Machiavellian lark.

Of course he is, otherwise he wouldn't have any haters would he?

But, it is close season and there is no football, no signings, a club that is owned by two 'others', a genuine fear that fans are being pushed aside for 'customers' and businessmen making footballing decisions. Unease at the manner of Rafa's sacking are fair and don't deserve the dismissiveness that some seem intent on extolling at every opportunity. A little empathy wouldn't go amiss in this situation, at least in the short term, if we are still moaning in a year then fair enough.

I'm too young, but Shankly leaving under a cloud of rumours, and the banning from the training ground etc would appear to me far more problematic than dissapointment at the end of Rafa's managership.

The fact is that we as fans get over it, Fowler going was done in a demeaning manner at the time, but in hindsight, 13 million for a player who was a shadow his former self, but still, i'm not convinced that negates the manner with which Ged and Thompson (who gets away with any criticism) went about forcing through the sale.

Unease at the manner of Rafa's sacking are fair and don't deserve the dismissiveness that some seem intent on extolling at every opportunity. A little empathy wouldn't go amiss in this situation, at least in the short term, if we are still moaning in a year then fair enough.

Must be the result of perma-cynicism, but I can't buy into that. The meetings with Broughton were beyond pointless, as we and Rafa knew full well he was never going to (a) get that budget or (b) get it in writing.

A genuine 'mutual consent' or the more unlikely Rafa clinging to the job as if it were his own life, losing it, then going "ah well 5m in my arse pocket and coaching the current best team in Europe, sigh, it's a consolation s'pose"?

Those who backed him beyond the hilt can't come to terms with even the possibility that Rafa wanted out and wasn't hanging around for the predicted train wreck to come.

We've already gone round and round on this, so if someone doesn't buy into the Rafa Victim status the rest of the debate just falls apart anyway.

Must be the result of perma-cynicism, but I can't buy into that. The meetings with Broughton were beyond pointless, as we and Rafa knew full well he was never going to (a) get that budget or (b) get it in writing.

A genuine 'mutual consent' or the more unlikely Rafa clinging to the job as if it were his own life, losing it, then going "ah well 5m in my arse pocket and coaching the current best team in Europe, sigh, it's a consolation s'pose"?

Those who backed him beyond the hilt can't come to terms with even the possibility that Rafa wanted out and wasn't hanging around for the predicted train wreck to come.

We've already gone round and round on this, so if someone doesn't buy into the Rafa Victim status the rest of the debate just falls apart anyway.

yep.

I agree and I think he was looking further fighting his political war. Rightly or wrongly, but it brought it out into the open exactly what we all had suspicions of.

I think he knew all this when signing his new improved contract, he was possibly making sure if they did go back on what was agreed when he signed his contract that he would not be screwed over again by the board.

I agree, there are too many people who just wont let go, and it is quite frankly embarrassing in parts. I was and still am a big fan of Rafa, however I know him leaving the current circumstances was the best for all parties. I believe he foreseen this last summer and as I said earlier he wasn't going to be screwed over again by broken promises. He shouldn't have let his fight take his eye of the footballing of things, but sadly it did.

pete-burns.jpg

It's the TLW way when a split has ensued, round, round baby right round, like a record baby round, round, round.

I think Rafa had made his mind up months ago Steve, if they had agreed and put it in writing like he requested, he would have stayed as he had them bang to rights, but he was always going to continue the war against the board's lies if they didn't stick to their word.

I think he had to keep his options open, not sure I could have not done the same as Rafa did if I was in the same position.

I forgot to add that the Broughton meetings may also have centred on how quickly new owners were coming in.

Rafa's quick acceptance of the compo was depressing, on that score at least.

You're assuming Steve that Benitez would have thought he could hang on to his job with new owners. That was never going to happen, so he negotiated the best contract he could and prepared for a soft landing. Nothing wrong with that.