You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Surprising conclusion to come to bearing in mind that Lucas has scored only 2 goals in 3 years while Parker has scored numerous goals in an inferior West Ham team!

Lucas has had plenty of opportunity to show that his game is all about making 5-10 metre passes and putting in laughable tackles. In his defence he did play better on the odd occasion that Rafa let him venture forward but Lucas is one of those players that any manager with any ambition will take a close look at.

Remember when Parker was at Chelsea, you'd think because he is doing good at a small team he would be even better in a big team, that isn't the case.

Parker likes to be the big fish in a small pond.

Centre back - Gary Cahill / Brede Hangeland / Ryan Shawcross / David Wheater

Left back - Stephen Warnock / Maynor Figueroa / Aly Cissokho / Marcell Jansen

Centre Midfielder - Lee Cattermole / Mark Noble / Jack Collison

Wide players - Lee Chung-Yong / Joe Cole / Arda Turan / Eljero Elia

Strikers - Goran Pandev / Fernando Llorente / Mauro Zárate

Players for the future - Danny Wilson / Connor Wickham / Tom Cairney / Christian Eriksen / John Fleck

I would sell Mascherano anyway and bring in someone who can destroy, pick a pass, get it forward quick and chip in with half a dozen goals. Rafael Marquez.

£25m for a player with so few assists, fewer goals and suspect temperament is a good deal. £30m would be robbery.

Marquez is a perfect link player between the back 4 and the front men who can sit deep and/or come forward on the ball like Hansen used to.

31 but not had the miles on the clock last season. Still got a couple of good years in him and technically a very gifted player.

Centre back - Gary Cahill / Brede Hangeland / Ryan Shawcross / David Wheater

Left back - Stephen Warnock / Maynor Figueroa / Aly Cissokho / Marcell Jansen

Centre Midfielder - Lee Cattermole / Mark Noble / Jack Collison

Wide players - Lee Chung-Yong / Joe Cole / Arda Turan / Eljero Elia

Strikers - Goran Pandev / Fernando Llorente / Mauro Zárate

Players for the future - Danny Wilson / Connor Wickham / Tom Cairney / Christian Eriksen / John Fleck

you talk sense on a lot of things but putting forward some of those names there is verging on lunacy - NONE of those are good enough for 'old rules' LFC

Remember when Parker was at Chelsea, you'd think because he is doing good at a small team he would be even better in a big team, that isn't the case.

Parker likes to be the big fish in a small pond.

You can't detract from the fact that he had a good season for west Ham last season. As for the Chelsea comment, he isn't exactly the first decent player to sign for them, only to go from hero to zero overnight.

I'm not sating he would be my first choice replacement for Masch in world football. I am merely stating that he is a good player who's game I believe would suit our style of play and who we could realistically afford. Better that than shell out an inflated transfer fee on some mercenary who has had a couple of decent games in S.Africa.

John,I've never met you and you come across as a decent lad,

but are you winding us up or are you just genuinely naive?

What grounds do you have for Hodgson getting this £50m kitty, where is the Keane £15m,Alonso £30m,Dossena £4m,Voronin £2m Leto £2m etc etc

Because as far as I'm aware we've spent £40m on Aquilani,Johnson and Kyrgarikos.

Where does your blind optimism come from?

Winding you up John ;-)

No seriously mate, who knows what the full terms of those outgoing transfers were? Think about it. We sign Keane from Spurs, Dossena from Udinese. Keane signs for us, gets a pay rise for his trouble just lets say 60k at Spurs to 80k a week here. Do you think he will go back to Spurs for the wages he was on in the first place only six months later after joining us on a long-term four year contract? Nah. Ditto Dossena. When we signed him I am sure his agent would have been touting him as an Italian International when in reality he is in the Geoff Thomas, Michael Ricketts International category for Italy as they were for England.

His agent would have touted Italian international wages for him which no doubt we gave him. When he leaves to go back to Napoli can you see them paying him the wages we were and he took a big pay cut only a year or so later after signing for the wages we offered him on a long term deal?

I wouldn't be surprised if we are still paying a percentage of Keane and the Doss' wages for the forseeable to be honest John. We didn't get all of the Xabi money did we in one payment? I am sure I read the same on here today somewhere.

You forget that in the 08 calendar year we signed Mascherano, Skrtel, Riera along with a load of kids who were never going to make the grade here, they were being put in hotels and had their own chauffeurs. It isn't naive to suggest that people were chauffuering them out the goodness of their heart John. All of these things do add up.

I think it's a given that we are going to be mostly disappointed this Summer, to what degree, we don't know as yet. But even that I can live with as long as we don't sign Heskey, the big, useless, shit fucking lump that he is.

If Heskey was being looked at, then I could honestly say that I'd be made up with either Carew or Zamora as alternatives for more money as long as he didn't end up back here.

I know there have been no links, stories or even speculatory pushes in that direction, but I could live nearly anything as long as that didn't happen.

If and when Mascherano goes, then I could live with Parker as a replacement as long as we didn't get fucked over on the price.

You can't detract from the fact that he had a good season for west Ham last season. As for the Chelsea comment, he isn't exactly the first decent player to sign for them, only to go from hero to zero overnight.

I'm not sating he would be my first choice replacement for Masch in world football. I am merely stating that he is a good player who's game I believe would suit our style of play and who we could realistically afford. Better that than shell out an inflated transfer fee on some mercenary who has had a couple of decent games in S.Africa.

I wouldn't sniff at a Parker, Gerrard midfield next season to be honest. Agree with your post.

Parker was victim of circumstances at Chelsea rather than lack of ability.

Where did this info come from? I find it hard to believe that Kenny wanted an unproven foreign manager over a man I could see him having a lot of respect for.

He's not unproven. And he did meet him.

And unless you're calling Paul Dalglish a liar Kenny's respect for Hodgson did not stop him from saying he could do a better job.

So on the one hand you've got a foreign manager targeted and interviewed by Dalglish, and on the other a man who Kenny believes isn't good enough for the job but who Purslow does.

If as expected we sell Mascherano for 25-30m this summer and get rid of some of the deadwood in the squad as well and Hodgson gets the money off the sales to invest back into the squad even if it totals up to 50m that we have to spend what players and positions do people think we need to strengthen in this summer?

I think we need a left back, maybe a right back, central midfielder, a pacey wide player and a target man and maybe another striker.

I expect Roy to go for Konchesky whether we like it or not, I personally don't think he is as bad as people make him out to be, he isn't the type of player I see regularly making mistakes and responsible for goals conceded, he would just prove to be a solid dependable signing, it isn't as if we need a 20m left back, just somebody who can fit in as part of a back 4 unit and I think he can do that quite easily but if we can sign certain players in key positions who would improve the team and the squad overall at decent cost I would go for: Scott Parker, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Roque Santa Cruz and I would take a punt on Thierry Henry on a free as well.

We should be able to attract those types of players who would improve the team and squad depth overall. What positions do people think we need to strengthen on here and which players at reasonable cost would you be happy for Roy to go for?

You said it yourself IF

He's not unproven. And he did meet him.

And unless you're calling Paul Dalglish a liar Kenny's respect for Hodgson did not stop him from saying he could do a better job.

So on the one hand you've got a foreign manager targeted and interviewed by Dalglish, and on the other a man who Kenny believes isn't good enough for the job but who Purslow does.

Dont feed the animals

Are you a wind-up? Yes, he did have a good season but what else has he done in his career to prove he can replace Mascherano?

You say you would rather have Parker than a mercenary when Parker is infact, just that, a mercenary.

He moved to Chelsea for wages then he only went to West Ham because they offered stupid wages. Parker is a mercenary, journeyman who would move to league 1 if there was decent money there, not an ambitious enough player to play for Liverpool IMO.

Shawcross is a nasty piece of work. About as dirty, savage and typically English as they get. Wouldn't want him near Liverpool FC. We have Ayala, Kelly and should tie up the Wilson deal.

Ahahah, no he isn't. He's a nice lad and a solid defender.

Let me guess, you saw him break Ramseys leg by accident, so decided to come up with that shit?

I wouldn't sniff at a Parker, Gerrard midfield next season to be honest. Agree with your post.

Parker was victim of circumstances at Chelsea rather than lack of ability.

Parker is a good defensive midfielder, yes. We wouldn't be that worse off if we sold Masch for 30 mil and bought Parker for 12ish mil.

Ahahah, no he isn't. He's a nice lad and a solid defender.

Let me guess, you saw him break Ramseys leg by accident, so decided to come up with that shit?

Nope, I've seen Stoke play enough times this season. Remember when he kicked the shite out of Torres at Anfield? over and over again? That's an example. Watch him more regularly.

Nope, I've seen Stoke play enough times this season. Remember when he kicked the shite out of Torres at Anfield? over and over again? That's an example. Watch him more regularly.

Who doesn't? You attack people's weaknesses, Carra would do the same if he were against Torres.

So what? Every defender kicks lumps out of players better than them. It's pretty much common these days.

Watch football more regularly.