You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The owners would not benefit financially, as they would have to pay another manager. Anyone with half a brain knows that managers need paying, no matter what H&G say. I don't give a fuck about Benitez or Purslow and their petty squabbles. Broughton will sell the club, and he probably despairs of the other two as well. But he's not paid to worry about them.

And anyone with half a brain will understand that any new manager we would consider right now would make max. half of what Rafa does, probably even less.

Broughton's task is to sell the club. Depending on the possible buyer, it may be an advantage not to have Benitez around with a massive payoff in his contract, or it may be an advantage as he is a top manager.

What you give a fuck about is irrelevant, as always. Same goes for me, though...

And anyone with half a brain will understand that any new manager we would consider right now would make max. half of what Rafa does, probably even less.

Broughton's task is to sell the club. Depending on the possible buyer, it may be an advantage not to have Benitez around with a massive payoff in his contract, or it may be an advantage as he is a top manager.

What you give a fuck about is irrelevant, as always. Same goes for me, though...

If the club were looking to save a few million over the next three or four years, they could do that very easily be offloading some dross. Rafa's salary, or to be more precise the difference between it and that of an replacement, is unimportant in the scheme of things. I think the usual paranoia is leading to people barking up the wrong tree.

That's why Rafa needs to go public on this and either get the money or let the world know Hicks is a liar(again)

no he doesn't. Rafa needs to shut the fuck up, and either stay or leave. That's what he needs to do. We'll know at the start of the new season whether Hicks has lied again.

no he doesn't. Rafa needs to shut the fuck up, and either stay or leave. That's what he needs to do. We'll know at the start of the new season whether Hicks has lied again.

But surely it's very relevant to identify exactly what a "Substantial" sum of money means.

Afterall, Substantial to someone who stands to lose "hundreds of millions of dollars" in the sale of this American sports franchise may be very different to someone who's trying to build a team to win the Premiership.

I know you know all the figures and all the angles but for us mere mortals It's nice to have this stuff pinned down.

If the club were looking to save a few million over the next three or four years, they could do that very easily be offloading some dross. Rafa's salary, or to be more precise the difference between it and that of an replacement, is unimportant in the scheme of things. I think the usual paranoia is leading to people barking up the wrong tree.

Stop the paranoia bullshit. The owners work on cash flow basis. Benitez's salary is about 4% of the total salary bill, if the reports are correct. If the owners could reduce that to less than 2%, they could either afford a 50'000 a week player + a manager (e.g. Raul + Laudrup, a nice PR story), or pocket a million each per year and have a manager (less PR but damn nice otherwise).

It's easy to be generous and talk about "grand scheme of things" with other people's money, it goes on here and other boards all the time, people who have never seen a million keep talking about money like that as if it is pocket change (you may have, at least you have somewhat informed opinions at times). I guarantee that the owners do not look at it that way, a million is a million even to millionaires.

No money does not make sense....it devalues the club (especially as it could push Torres out the door) and will make it harder to get what they call a decent price for the club. Unless they are sure they can sell and very soon I think they will have to put some money into the club this summer for transfers (maybe that is why they are talking of 600-800 million instead of a lower sum ?)

I don't think for one minute they would spend money to help LFC but they might to protect their investment.

Stop the paranoia bullshit. The owners work on cash flow basis. Benitez's salary is about 4% of the total salary bill, if the reports are correct. If the owners could reduce that to less than 2%, they could either afford a 50'000 a week player + a manager (e.g. Raul + Laudrup, a nice PR story), or pocket a million each per year and have a manager (less PR but damn nice otherwise).

It's easy to be generous and talk about "grand scheme of things" with other people's money, it goes on here and other boards all the time, people who have never seen a million keep talking about money like that as if it is pocket change (you may have, at least you have somewhat informed opinions at times). I guarantee that the owners do not look at it that way, a million is a million even to millionaires.

Delmar, I don't need to be told by you how business operates. I deal in and with budgets of millions of pounds every working day, just like I'm sure plenty of others do on here. I've been doing it for donkeys years. It is my opinion that replacing Benitez on financial grounds would not be seen as a priority by the management. They may want shut of him for other reasons, and they may seek not to pay him £16 million to get rid of him, but your would not be a determining factor in any decision to get rid of him. There are lots of alternatives to reduce cashflow which would have far less impact on the club. If you're suggesting we can bring a better, yet cheaper manager in, then I probably agree, but I am not sure that they even trust their own judgement where that is concerned.

I see a thread that should have been about the lack of a transfer budget and the owners lies, has descended into another custard pie fight.

To get back on track, didn't Purslow say we'd have £15m to spend in January, and more to come in the summer? He must have got that from Twat & Twat.

Delmar, I don't need to be told by you how business operates. I deal in and with budgets of millions of pounds every working day, just like I'm sure plenty of others do on here. I've been doing it for donkeys years. It is my opinion that replacing Benitez on financial grounds would not be seen as a priority by the management.

Management?

I am unfortunately not the owner of LFC. But if I were, there is no fucking way 'management' would fire/hire a manager without my approval.

Management?

I am unfortunately not the owner of LFC. But if I were, there is no fucking way 'management' would fire/hire a manager without my approval.

I was including the owners in the term 'management', because we know that they would sanction hirings and firings at Benitez's level.

Benitez won't get the push, imo. They won't pay him his severance. The only way Benitez will go before new owners come in is under his own steam. I'm of the somewhat unpopular opinion that we will have new owners in place by Christmas. That means funds for players in January, and almost certainly a new manager to choose them.

That's why despite my dislike for Benitez, I'm fairly relaxed about whether he goes or stays this summer. If he goes, we have to install an interim (probably Dalglish) and all the upheaval that entails, though this may have short-term benefits.

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks’ pledge to hand Rafael Benitez a ‘substantial transfer budget’ was in question last night after it emerged that the manager has no more than £5million to spend.

the daily mail have this information before anyone else... if I read that from tony barrett in the times or in the echo i will worry until then, lies!!

Benitez won't get the push, imo. They won't pay him his severance. The only way Benitez will go before new owners come in is under his own steam. I'm of the somewhat unpopular opinion that we will have new owners in place by Christmas. That means funds for players in January, and almost certainly a new manager to choose them.

That's why despite my dislike for Benitez, I'm fairly relaxed about whether he goes or stays this summer. If he goes, we have to install an interim (probably Dalglish) and all the upheaval that entails, though this may have short-term benefits.

Here I'd agree with you. Apart from that I don't dislike Benitez. But the rest makes sense. And as far as the other posts go, you don't have to justify yourself or your background, it makes no sense on an internet board. Just argue your point, which you also did, and which I disagree with still, but that's not the first time. I did not mean to lecture, my purpose was to give a context to my reasoning.

Here I'd agree with you. Apart from that I don't dislike Benitez. But the rest makes sense. And as far as the other posts go, you don't have to justify yourself or your background, it makes no sense on an internet board. Just argue your point, which you also did, and which I disagree with still, but that's not the first time. I did not mean to lecture, my purpose was to give a context to my reasoning.

Frankly I don't give a hoot whether you agree with me or not. In fact my spidey sense tells me that if you disagree, I'm probably right. What I do give a hoot about, and the reason I told you about my context is because you were the one making assumptions about people, which you really shouldn't be doing. There's a lot of smart people on this board. Attempting to patronise them makes you look the tit, not them.

I was including the owners in the term 'management', because we know that they would sanction hirings and firings at Benitez's level.

Indeed, that was my point as well.

I even agree that it's unlikely Rafa will get fired under these owners.

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks’ pledge to hand Rafael Benitez a ‘substantial transfer budget’ was in question last night after it emerged that the manager has no more than £5million to spend.

He should have £16m to spend.

He should have £16m to spend.

Agreed, Rafa will need it as well, theres payments to be made to other clubs before he buys a single player.

Portsmouth 4m (Johnson)

Roma 7m€ (Aquilani)

There's 10m going out in late June, with sweet fuck all coming in.

Agreed, Rafa will need it as well, theres payments to be made to other clubs before he buys a single player.

Portsmouth 4m (Johnson)

Roma 7m€ (Aquilani)

There's 10m going out in late June, with sweet fuck all coming in.

Next Alonso installment of €10m will be due, we did NOT get €30m up front.

Next Alonso installment of €10m will be due, we did NOT get €30m up front.

REALLY?!

then Rafa was mad to turn down Snjeider and cash for Xabi

even if it was Snjeider first and then cash the following summer

why do we always seem to get dicked over in the transfer market??!?!?!

also when are UEFA going to bring in a rule so that all transfer fees for players must be paid for in full upfront?

would put a stop to the creative accounting that seems to be going on